First Round Rival - Who Would You Rather Play?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: First Round Rival - Who Would You Rather Play? 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 8, 2022 10:16 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:We're now guaranteed to finish either 5th or 6th, so it's either the Mavs or the Warriors in the first round. I wonder if we make some moves to avoid the 5th seed so we won't have to play the Suns in the second round, should we make it that far.

Is it worse to play the Suns or potentially the surging Clippers?

I think it is much worse. I respect what the Clippers are doing but the Suns are a much better (and deeper and healthier) team.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#22 » by dr0welf » Sat Apr 9, 2022 10:05 pm

I don't think you can afford to play games to line up with certain opponents. Our mental composure seems fragile after multiple collapses. You can't go into the playoffs losing at this stage.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#23 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:33 pm

Anybody still wish we had maneuvered the late regular season games to draw Golden State in the first round instead of Dallas --- in order to avoid Phoenix in the second round? I've respected Golden State's potential to be a serious contender come playoff time all season long, said they were the opponent I wanted to avoid in the first round, and suspect they would be blowing us out right now, just like they are blowing out Denver.

That said, Dallas, or just about any playoff team, is a tough first round playoff opponent for this Jazz roster. We are lucky that Doncic isn't playing so far.

With regard to second round, should we make it there, I am no longer even convinced that Phoenix, the best team in the league, is a much worse second round matchup than Golden State would be for us. At least with Phoenix, one of their stars, their second leading scorer that we need to try to slow down, is a traditional big man who plays in the paint, the area where Gobert is the best in the league at defending. Were we to face Phoenix or GS in the second round (the latter an impossibility), both would be heavily favored imo.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#24 » by TNJazz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:39 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Anybody still wish we had maneuvered the late regular season games to draw Golden State in the first round instead of Dallas --- in order to avoid Phoenix in the second round? I've respected Golden State's potential to be a serious contender come playoff time all season long, said they were the opponent I wanted to avoid in the first round, and suspect they would be blowing us out right now, just like they are blowing out Denver.

That said, Dallas, or just about any playoff team, is a tough first round playoff opponent for this Jazz roster. We are lucky that Doncic isn't playing so far.

With regard to second round, should we make it there, I am no longer even convinced that Phoenix, the best team in the league, is a much worse second round matchup than Golden State would be for us. At least with Phoenix, one of their stars, their second leading scorer that we need to try to slow down, is a traditional big man who plays in the paint, the area where Gobert is the best in the league at defending. Were we to face Phoenix or GS in the second round (the latter an impossibility), both would be heavily favored imo.

I was one of those commenting on the possibility of facing GSW rather than Phoenix. With how they are playing, not sure it would have mattered if LD wasn't injured. In reality, both teams will be nightmares but we have to get there first, which after last game, I'm not sure is possible. Last year's loss to the Clippers was brutal, this year's team, who were supposed to have learned something from that experience, is so painful to watch not bc they are losing, it's how they are losing.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#25 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:54 pm

I actually was not worried about Phoenix, as they are a tough team but their are lots of tough teams this year. The thing with Phoenix is Chris Paul goes down with injury every year he is in the playoffs. I assume with him being even older this trend will continue at some point in the playoffs. But I didn't expect Booker to be knocked out... reminds me of last year when we had the #1 seed and lost Conley and DM. Not many allowed that to be an excuse it was Gobert's inability to guard both the paint and the perimeter that was the problem lol.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:43 pm

dr0welf wrote:I actually was not worried about Phoenix, as they are a tough team but their are lots of tough teams this year. The thing with Phoenix is Chris Paul goes down with injury every year he is in the playoffs. I assume with him being even older this trend will continue at some point in the playoffs. But I didn't expect Booker to be knocked out... reminds me of last year when we had the #1 seed and lost Conley and DM. Not many allowed that to be an excuse it was Gobert's inability to guard both the paint and the perimeter that was the problem lol.

Well, we are in full health this time around while the Mavs are missing Doncic and THJ and yet we are down 2-1 while exhibiting the exact same problems and issues, so what's our excuse now?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#27 » by dr0welf » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:59 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
dr0welf wrote:I actually was not worried about Phoenix, as they are a tough team but their are lots of tough teams this year. The thing with Phoenix is Chris Paul goes down with injury every year he is in the playoffs. I assume with him being even older this trend will continue at some point in the playoffs. But I didn't expect Booker to be knocked out... reminds me of last year when we had the #1 seed and lost Conley and DM. Not many allowed that to be an excuse it was Gobert's inability to guard both the paint and the perimeter that was the problem lol.

Well, we are in full health this time around while the Mavs are missing Doncic and THJ and yet we are down 2-1 while exhibiting the exact same problems and issues, so what's our excuse now?

It's still the same problem. Our guards get lazy on defense when they have Gobert behind them. You saw the effort in game 3 pick up when they went small ball. Defensively they were sliding their feet and doing a better job in staying in front of their guys. So if they can do it during small ball why can't they do it when Gobert is in? If they decide they want to play defense and take a shot at winning a title they have the talent and the skills to do so. They meaning Conley, Mitchell, O'neal, Bogie, Clarkson. If they want to put the effort in all night they can really win some games and make a deep run at this thing. They can do it, it is just a matter will they?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:36 pm

dr0welf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

It's still the same problem. Our guards get lazy on defense when they have Gobert behind them. You saw the effort in game 3 pick up when they went small ball. Defensively they were sliding their feet and doing a better job in staying in front of their guys. So if they can do it during small ball why can't they do it when Gobert is in? If they decide they want to play defense and take a shot at winning a title they have the talent and the skills to do so. They meaning Conley, Mitchell, O'neal, Bogie, Clarkson. If they want to put the effort in all night they can really win some games and make a deep run at this thing. They can do it, it is just a matter will they?

I think the last two games showed that the Jazz are capable of defending well, but they can't sustain it for long. They can defend well in stretches, and if they are really desperate, even a full game, like game 4 against the Mavs. But they can't sustain it. They did put the effort in in game 5 as well, imho, but that meant they were running on empty on offense.

Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#29 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:56 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I think the last two games showed that the Jazz are capable of defending well, but they can't sustain it for long. They can defend well in stretches, and if they are really desperate, even a full game, like game 4 against the Mavs. But they can't sustain it. They did put the effort in in game 5 as well, imho, but that meant they were running on empty on offense.

We've got three starters, Conley, Mitchell and PF O'Neale, who are matched up against bigger, taller players more often than not, making the energy expenditure level required for them to play effective playoff D even more challenging than it is for most starters. I've seen some Mavs players easily shoot over the top of Conley for corner threes this series. Royce might be the shortest starting PF in the NBA and DM might be shortest starting SG in the league (though DM has a good wingspan). And we've got two starters, Conley and Bogey, who aren't exactly spring chickens at ages 34 and 33. It just isn't a particularly well balanced, starting five playoff roster imo.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#30 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:02 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I think the last two games showed that the Jazz are capable of defending well, but they can't sustain it for long. They can defend well in stretches, and if they are really desperate, even a full game, like game 4 against the Mavs. But they can't sustain it. They did put the effort in in game 5 as well, imho, but that meant they were running on empty on offense.

We've got three starters, Conley, Mitchell and PF O'Neale, who are regularly matched up against bigger, taller players, making the energy expenditure level required for them to play effective playoff D even more challenging than it is for most starters. I've seen some Mavs players easily shoot over the top of Conley for corner threes this series. Royce might be the shortest starting PF in the NBA and DM might be shortest starting SG in the league, though DM has a good wingspan. And we've got two starters, Conley and Bogey, who aren't exactly spring chickens at ages 34 and 33. It just isn't a particularly well constructed, starting five playoff roster imo.

If the problem is our size in the back court, then why are we being torched by Jalen Brunson all series long? We should be able to at least stop him, shouldn't we?

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#31 » by zero24gravity » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:15 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

We've got three starters, Conley, Mitchell and PF O'Neale, who are regularly matched up against bigger, taller players, making the energy expenditure level required for them to play effective playoff D even more challenging than it is for most starters. I've seen some Mavs players easily shoot over the top of Conley for corner threes this series. Royce might be the shortest starting PF in the NBA and DM might be shortest starting SG in the league, though DM has a good wingspan. And we've got two starters, Conley and Bogey, who aren't exactly spring chickens at ages 34 and 33. It just isn't a particularly well constructed, starting five playoff roster imo.

If the problem is our size in the back court, then why are we being torched by Jalen Brunson all series long? We should be able to at least stop him, shouldn't we?

AMEN! A 6'1" role player, nonetheless. He's good, but not a star by any stretch. The height thing has merit, but it's too easy of a cop-out, IMO.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#32 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:35 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

Somehow I missed where I limited our problems to our backcourt length, or even to the Mavs specifically. We need to have at least one more two way player starter, if not two, with more length and more youthful energy. I am also not adverse to trying a new coach. And with regard to Brunson, yes he doesn't have length over Conley, but he beats Conley on youthful energy, pounds and strength. He is going to get paid this off season.

If somehow most good players in the Western playoffs got injured and the Jazz miraculously advanced to the Finals against Boston, I think the overall younger, lengthier Boston Celtics (except for Center) would easily sweep us.

Return to Utah Jazz