Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:52 am

I haven't seen any updates on Doncic so I'm assuming he'll still be out for this game. Let's see if the Mavs can keep it close like the last game, where they had a real chance of winning.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Re: View first unread post Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks 

Post#2 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#3 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:18 pm

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#4 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Now that the Jazz have faced this team, I think they'll come out the gates more aggressively. Mitchell will attack more in the 1st half like he did in the 2nd half of Game 1. I expect the Jazz will still have a double-digit rebound advantage.

If it were up to me, I'd start House in Game 2 and put him on Brunson, though Royce has been okay defensively. With the Mavs' forwards being so limited off the dribble, the Jazz could give Rudy Gay some minutes if they wanted. He'd pound the offensive glass.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#5 » by TNJazz » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:38 pm

Catchall wrote:Now that the Jazz have faced this team, I think they'll come out the gates more aggressively. Mitchell will attack more in the 1st half like he did in the 2nd half of Game 1. I expect the Jazz will still have a double-digit rebound advantage.

If it were up to me, I'd start House in Game 2 and put him on Brunson, though Royce has been okay defensively. With the Mavs' forwards being so limited off the dribble, the Jazz could give Rudy Gay some minutes if they wanted. He'd pound the offensive glass.

While I can see why you might make that statement, Quinn would NEVER make that substitution at this point in the series. Royce has never been even a minor focal point of the offense, but he has earned the trust over the years of his coach and teammates so to make that change could make a major setback in his confidence. He needs all he can get. He is a decent shooter, so if they nudge him away from that and allow "coach has lost his confidence in me" thinking, that would surely disappear.

I don't think making the change to the starters is the right answer, although it could really make an impact. I would rather see House at the end during crunch time over O'Neal. I agree that more Rudy Gay would be terrific, I also think more House and Hernangomez in tonight's game would make a big difference and possibly make it so that there isn't even a question about a crunch time need at the end of the game. Their length and energy would bother Dallas. Not all of them on the floor at the same time, but scattered throughout would be strong.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Re: Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks 

Post#6 » by ducler » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:10 pm

Read on Twitter
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:51 am

Conley is a **** bum.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,271

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:42 am

It's clear this is the end of the road for this team. I am going to enjoy watching these guys have some individually good games and be glad we had them, but I'm also going to be happy to see the transition to something different.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#9 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:49 am

babyjax13 wrote:It's clear this is the end of the road for this team. I am going to enjoy watching these guys have some individually good games and be glad we had them, but I'm also going to be happy to see the transition to something different.

Replace Conley with a taller/longer guard, and a) he's less likely to get abused defensively, b) he's more likely going to get makable shots. I'm in the minority, but I think NAW could at least defend and score some points. That's all we need next to Mitchell.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:51 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:It's clear this is the end of the road for this team. I am going to enjoy watching these guys have some individually good games and be glad we had them, but I'm also going to be happy to see the transition to something different.

Replace Conley with a taller/longer guard, and a) he's less likely to get abused defensively, b) he's more likely going to get makable shots. I'm in the minority, but I think NAW could at least defend and score some points.

I don't think NAW does much at a starting-caliber level yet. It would be like having a second Royce in the starting lineup (sans Royce's switchability on defense). I hope he can develop into a good compliment to Mitchell, though, I think that was the idea. I'm not quite sure what I want this team to do, but if we lose this series I hope it's not something like trading a bunch of picks to get Jerami Grant.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#11 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:51 am

GobertReport wrote:Conley is a **** bum.

The game may be passing him by. This is less of a pick-and-roll league and more of a space/pace/iso-kick league.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#12 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:54 am

The Jazz got their split in Dallas. Tonight's game was very likely an outlier shooting performance for the Mavs. Jazz still have an advantage in the series. They'll need to do the right things to hold it though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:54 am

Catchall wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Conley is a **** bum.

The game may be passing him by. This is less of a pick-and-roll league and more of a space/pace/iso-kick league.

We've seen a couple of stretches where he just fades. I wasn't a huge fan of the extension but it needed to happen if we really had a window. Problem is, the window was last year but we failed to make the roster moves needed to truly contend.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#14 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:42 am

My thoughts:

1. I don't want to hear anymore about how the Jazz don't involve Gobert enough in the offense. We've seen what happened in this game when they tried. This narrative started just before the playoffs and the Jazz were easy to manipulate. Gobert fumbled the ball and even tried to post up once, with no results other than turnovers. Gobert came into the league with zero offensive moves and he still has zero offensive moves. Unless he's set up by teammates for a dunk or he tips the ball in from offensive rebounds, he can't score.

2. In a somewhat similar way to what happened vs the Clippers last season in game 6, the Jazz left Kleber open all night and especially late in the game, and he torched them. Which is silly, because the guy's one NBA skill is shooting the 3, and here we are letting him slip Gobert and shoot wide open threes.

3. Conley sucked. The only times I noticed he was on the floor is when he committed another foul.

4. The first game came down to the wire. The Jazz were very close to be 0-2, with Doncic and THJ out with injuries.

5. With all the offseason acquisitions the Jazz made, Pascal and Gay are both DNP-CD so far in the playoffs.

6. I think the Jazz win this series but the way they've been performing does not inspire confidence for a series vs the Suns.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#15 » by FJS » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:00 am

Put juancho with kleber.

Another night with juancho and House with big +/-

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:10 am

Read on Twitter

I don't know if to put it on the coach or the players. Was that the gameplan for the Jazz (and that'd be the coach's fault), or is it that players just didn't do what they were supposed to do (and that'd be on the players and the coach).

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#17 » by FJS » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:52 am

1st night was right because kleber was unable to score too much. Green was awful. But when Kleber has 2 or 3 3's you have to put red alarm.

You can't be beat by brunson and Kleber.

This is quin fault.

I know Gobert can't covert the whole deffense, but put someone in 3 shooters.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#18 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:35 pm

I hate to be reduced to be hoping for an NBA guard that can't shoot outside the paint to help save us, but I am hoping Trent Forrest comes back before Luka Doncic comes back, and that Trent Forrest can play some more effective defensive minutes against Jalen Brunson than our other guys have so far.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#19 » by vryadli » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:03 pm

Catchall wrote:

Replace Conley with a taller/longer guard, and a) he's less likely to get abused defensively, b) he's more likely going to get makable shots. I'm in the minority, but I think NAW could at least defend and score some points. That's all we need next to Mitchell.

You need at least young LeBron next to Mitchell. And even then 30 inefficient attempts each game is difficult to overcome.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#20 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:29 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:My thoughts:

1. I don't want to hear anymore about how the Jazz don't involve Gobert enough in the offense. We've seen what happened in this game when they tried. This narrative started just before the playoffs and the Jazz were easy to manipulate. Gobert fumbled the ball and even tried to post up once, with no results other than turnovers. Gobert came into the league with zero offensive moves and he still has zero offensive moves. Unless he's set up by teammates for a dunk or he tips the ball in from offensive rebounds, he can't score.

Spoiler:
2. In a somewhat similar way to what happened vs the Clippers last season in game 6, the Jazz left Kleber open all night and especially late in the game, and he torched them. Which is silly, because the guy's one NBA skill is shooting the 3, and here we are letting him slip Gobert and shoot wide open threes.

3. Conley sucked. The only times I noticed he was on the floor is when he committed another foul.

4. The first game came down to the wire. The Jazz were very close to be 0-2, with Doncic and THJ out with injuries.

5. With all the offseason acquisitions the Jazz made, Pascal and Gay are both DNP-CD so far in the playoffs.

6. I think the Jazz win this series but the way they've been performing does not inspire confidence for a series vs the Suns.

Dallas is doing a good defensive job on Gobert. Gobert is a career playoff 13.3 ppg on 7 fga with just 1.6 tov. I think we are missing the Joe Ingles' run pick n roll some too.

Return to Utah Jazz