Round 1, Game 5: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Round 1, Game 5: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:36 pm

This is now the best out of 3. Let's see if the Jazz can continue to show the same level of defensive engagement and intensity.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Re: Round 1, Game 5: Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks 

Post#2 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:38 am

ducler wrote:[tweet]
Read on Twitter
[/tweet
jazzkid
Junior
And1: 6

Post#3 » by jazzkid » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:19 am

Well we didn't show up for this one. Hard to believe after such a gutsy win they just don't show up. Unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:38 am

Well, I really enjoyed this era of Jazz basketball, but it has run its course. I am excited for what the new era will bring, and I hope they don't prolong our misery. This is an unfortunate way for it to end, and I see no hope of a comeback in this game, or the series.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#5 » by Rauxcee » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:44 am

There is no way they don't fire Snyder for 3 playoff failures in a row, right? There is no way they don't at least try to blow some of it up, right?

Right?
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#6 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:46 am

Man I was wishing they'd blocked that stupid game. Horrible shooting and zero changes.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#7 » by TNJazz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:53 am

The team dynamics problem must run deep to see this poor of an effort. Players must want a change of scenery, not sure if that means new coach different players on this team with the same coach, or some want just to be off this team no matter what, so they tank the game. Fugly...
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#8 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:53 pm

Only watched parts of the game, and very little of second half, but giving up 102 points is not bad. But only scoring 77 points on offense ourselves is horrible.

If Rudy Gay, who is capable of getting hot sometimes, and who has a mid range, post up shot and three point shot that isn't easy to block, is not playable in this game where we were desperate for some offense, I guess he will never be playable in the playoffs during his entire three year contract in to advanced old age here.

So glad the brilliant, Dennis Lindsey-led, Jazz front office signed him to a three year, 18.6 million dollar contract through age 37. I am sure the Jazz front office barely beat out many other teams lining up to offer 35 year old Rudy Gay a three year contract. :roll:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#9 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:33 pm

I actually think the Jazz did show effort but it was a combination of the Mavs defending well and also bad luck missing shots. I think they're not used to expend so much effort on defense that they lacked the energy and bounce on offense.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#10 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:42 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I actually think the Jazz did show effort but it was a combination of the Mavs defending well and also bad luck missing shots. I think they're not used to expend so much effort on defense that they lacked the energy and bounce on offense.

Yep, Bogey, for example, played his butt off on both ends of the court in game four, sometimes picking up Mav players early for 94 feet of defense. He started out this game with the same level of defensive intensity and didn't have enough energy left to connect on his shots on offense imho. And yes, Mavs' defense was better.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 448

Post#11 » by bkohler » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:58 pm

The worst part of the game last night was the lack of outrage by fans on Twitter, this board, really everywhere. Instead of being upset, everyone just collectively sighed and went and did something else.

That's always the most depressing part, when you lose the fan base. This team can't get to the offseason fast enough. I don't really think there's one person to blame in this situation. Lots of blame to go around, but it's clear that this era of Jazz basketball is at an end; I'm excited to see what the next era brings.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:26 pm

bkohler wrote:The worst part of the game last night was the lack of outrage by fans on Twitter, this board, really everywhere. Instead of being upset, everyone just collectively sighed and went and did something else.

That's always the most depressing part, when you lose the fan base. This team can't get to the offseason fast enough. I don't really think there's one person to blame in this situation. Lots of blame to go around, but it's clear that this era of Jazz basketball is at an end; I'm excited to see what the next era brings.

Personally, I DVR'd the game and watched it later so I waited with my comments until after I watch the game. But I think that once the Jazz barely managed to win game 1 and then lost game 2 (and later game 3), the writing was on the wall and it finally became clear that this team doesn't have what it takes. I think that a lot more people are open for big changes now than in any point in the past several seasons, and since even several weeks ago. Changes that include trading Gobert\Mitchell or both, replacing Snyder, and even going for a full-fledged rebuild. I think fans have finally accepted the situation and are willing to move on from this current phase of the Jazz.

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#13 » by zero24gravity » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:02 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Only watched parts of the game, and very little of second half, but giving up 102 points is not bad. But only scoring 77 points on offense ourselves is horrible.

If Rudy Gay, who is capable of getting hot sometimes, and who has a mid range, post up shot and three point shot that isn't easy to block, is not playable in this game where we were desperate for some offense, I guess he will never be playable in the playoffs during his entire three year contract in to advanced old age here.

So glad the brilliant, Dennis Lindsey-led, Jazz front office signed him to a three year, 18.6 million dollar contract through age 37. I am sure the Jazz front office barely beat out many other teams lining up to offer 35 year old Rudy Gay a three year contract. :roll:

I "watched" this game in 26 minutes. (DVR watch a lot in fast forward.) I just couldn't stomach the score, regardless of the reason.

I think Gay was so bad during the season that he's not a good option. If he wasn't "Rudy Gay" then his play wouldn't even warrant a roster spot. Paschall, yes. Gay, no. It was a good signing on paper (as a player, but not 3 years), but hasn't panned out. Maybe this year being a year where he barely played will make next year (after a full injury recovery) better. Age is an issue, but he didn't exactly put any miles on his body this season. I think it's also possible he's checked out mentally, but that's pure speculation and I have nothing to back it up.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#14 » by zero24gravity » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:11 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I actually think the Jazz did show effort but it was a combination of the Mavs defending well and also bad luck missing shots. I think they're not used to expend so much effort on defense that they lacked the energy and bounce on offense.

Agree. Effort has seemed liked a big issue for a while now. I didn't feel the effort was bad in this game (I admit I watched most the 2nd half in fast forward), but they came out missing free throws and layups, which may have defeated them a bit.

"Coast until you get to the playoffs, be healthy, then turn it on" seemed to be the team motto this year. TBH, I think this team has put so much pressure on themselves that they simply overthink to the point of their own detriment. New ownership, new front office, losing a locker room glue guy mid-season, championship expectations, rumors (whether they are real or not) about feuding stars, etc.. I'm not trying to make excuses, but still, when your entire team feels like their jobs (in Utah) are on the line, it has mess with their heads a bit. To me, this is an example of why teams with dysfunction in the front office & constant coach turnover rarely have good teams. Utah's market can't afford dysfunction for long, so this needs to get fixed ASAP or we become the Kings.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#15 » by Rauxcee » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
bkohler wrote:The worst part of the game last night was the lack of outrage by fans on Twitter, this board, really everywhere. Instead of being upset, everyone just collectively sighed and went and did something else.

Personally, I DVR'd the game and watched it later so I waited with my comments until after I watch the game. But I think that once the Jazz barely managed to win game 1 and then lost game 2 (and later game 3), the writing was on the wall and it finally became clear that this team doesn't have what it takes. I think that a lot more people are open for big changes now than in any point in the past several seasons, and since even several weeks ago. Changes that include trading Gobert\Mitchell or both, replacing Snyder, and even going for a full-fledged rebuild. I think fans have finally accepted the situation and are willing to move on from this current phase of the Jazz.

This. Last season I was okay with giving Snyder one more chance. He failed again and its time. The team also needs a partial or full blow up. I'm anti tanking, or getting rid of high quality players just because, but I'm officially ready.

Too bad Lindsey has left us with nothing, and the only players worth keeping are also the only ones that could fetch us anything in trades.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 448

Post#16 » by bkohler » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:38 pm

Interestingly it’s probably better that we face a rebuild right now than in few years. At least our good players still have value- if we had made the second round or third round their would have been a temptation to run it back and we’d be one year older and Don/Rudy would have less value.

Return to Utah Jazz