Changing tides in Utah

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Changing tides in Utah 

Post#1 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:22 pm

Based on Tony Jones' and Spence Checketts' discussion on what happens next for the Jazz is really a changing of the tides for Utah.

Players on the block:
Rudy Gobert
Mike Conley
Royce O'Neale
Rudy Gay

Possibly on the block:
Bojan Bogs

Players likely to stay:
Jordan Clarkson
Hernangomez
Whiteside(If we can re-sign him)
NAW
Butler
House(If we can re-sign him)

Definitely not on the block:
Donovan Mitchell

I am not sure we will see a traditional starting center for the team anymore, we likely will run a very switchable offense and defense. We are going to try our hardest to emulate what Boston is doing right now.
Ingles is cooked.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 454

Re: Changing tides in Utah 

Post#2 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Interesting, Tony is normally really clued into what is going on. Keeping and building around Don seems to mean a mini-tank to me. The jazz have their own pick in 2023 so being bad next year isn't a horrible idea, I bet they let Mitchell chase the scoring title, trade Rudy for a lottery pick, and other assets that they use to offload Mike, Royce, Gay.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#3 » by Rauxcee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:35 am

I hope a new coach is on the horizon too, otherwise it's pointless IMO.

Speaking of pointless- if the Jazz do a mini-rebuild by trading Gobert, they will not make the playoffs, they will waste the next 2 years of Mitchell (who has never not been in the post season), and on his final season (2 years from now) he will either ask to be traded, or finish the season and bolt for nothing.

If they are trading Gobert, they need to be looking to trade Mitchell shortly after for maximum value. He ain't staying, it's foolish for the FO to think otherwise and not get talent back ASAP. Mitchell is not wasting his prime on a play in team- and that is exactly what the Jazz will be for the foreseeable future.

....but that is what Ainge does- lose talent for nothing rather than trade.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#4 » by bkohler » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:45 am

At this point, there might be value in keeping Mitchell for one more year and letting him rehab his value after a disastrous playoff. I think his value might be at an all-time low right now. Let him put up All NBA numbers and make the trade next year in the offseason.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Rauxcee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:58 am

bkohler wrote:At this point, there might be value in keeping Mitchell for one more year and letting him rehab his value after a disastrous playoff. I think his value might be at an all-time low right now. Let him put up All NBA numbers and make the trade next year in the offseason.

I think that still works- Jazz have that on their radar, and they will still get a high return for him. If they wait too long, they won't get fair value for him.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#6 » by bkohler » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:05 am

Yeah, I agree with you. At this point, I think it's a forgone conclusion that Mitchell gets moved; I think it's just a matter of when.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:30 am

I really hope that this is Conley’s last game in Utah, he gets every other game off almost and ruins the game.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,468

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:35 am

GobertReport wrote:I really hope that this is Conley’s last game in Utah, he gets every other game off almost and ruins the game.

Gotta love that extension.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:39 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
GobertReport wrote:I really hope that this is Conley’s last game in Utah, he gets every other game off almost and ruins the game.

Gotta love that extension.

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry at this, I hated the trade and I hated the extension, I would have rather we kept Rubio and signed Bogey, assets and could have done something with them better than Conley.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,350

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:45 am

I'm not a fan of moving Gobert unless we truly don't think we can improve without the assets from that kind of trade.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,468

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:49 am

babyjax13 wrote:I'm not a fan of moving Gobert unless we truly don't think we can improve without the assets from that kind of trade.

He turns 30 in about 2 months and will be paid 45m when he's 34. If we can move him, we should. He won't get any better and will start to decline soon.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 am

babyjax13 wrote:I'm not a fan of moving Gobert unless we truly don't think we can improve without the assets from that kind of trade.

I don’t want to trade Gobert either but I don’t think he’s playing for Utah next season. I can only pray Mike Conley is gone.
Ingles is cooked.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#13 » by CAE15 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 am

Lot of rough takes in here

Any Gobert trade results in Utah being a play in team? Nah, definitely depends where. Atlanta could keep us relatively competitive.

Ainge is actually very good at not getting fleeced in trades, something we should welcome.

Conley extension is fine, no contract is untradeable. Hell I'm not opposed to trying Russ for a year. We know he'll at least compete. Lakers, Clippers, Wizards, Wolves, Knicks, Mavs, Pels. There's trade destinations for Mike. The extension is fine. Might only end up being a Kennard or something for him but it's still a guy that can help.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,350

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:51 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

He turns 30 in about 2 months and will be paid 45m when he's 34. If we can move him, we should. He won't get any better and will start to decline soon.

It might be the right call but I kind of think we can get better in that two year window and if it doesn't work you rebuild with what you get from Mitchell. But, we can all be glad I'm not in control :lol: (although I would have drafted Devin Booker, haha)

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Rauxcee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:55 am

Same. Unless you are going to move Mitchell too and really commit to starting over. If the FO is going to go as far as moving one of our star players, they need to not half ass it and do both.

Preferably we keep both guys, and maybe Clarkson/Butler. Bad news is we have zero assets and the players we should trade are not going to bring back any value. In some cases, we will probably have to give up value to move them. *coughConleycough*
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Rauxcee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:02 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

That is true, but Gobert is not going to return fair value. What we get for him is not going to make us a contender in the next 2 seasons, and if we aren't contending, Mitchell is gone. The longer we hold onto Mitchell, the lower his return in a trade will be.

Mitchell will get us much better pieces than Gobert will.

Granted neither one will make us a contender in the next 2-3 seasons, so either live with early playoff exits with both guys for a couple seasons more, or trade both, get some good pieces and start again.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#17 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:18 am

Just read Tony Jones’ Athletic piece, Rudy Gobert wants to retire a Jazz man, we may want to trade Mitchell since he’s a bigger question mark on staying or going.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#18 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:22 am

Just read Tony Jones’ Athletic piece, Rudy Gobert wants to retire a Jazz man, we may want to trade Mitchell since he’s a bigger question mark on staying or going. I find the ride or die quality endearing.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,027

Post#19 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:30 am

Clarkson is a likeable, even lovable, player, but he loses as many games for us as he wins. He is usually absolutely horrible on defense and if he is not clicking on offense, it is almost better not to play him. Same with Bogey. Those are two players who might have some value and get us a two way, or at least defensive, wing. We need someone who can stop the point of attack (Mitchell has been a huge disappointment to me on defense over his career, which is the opposite of what I thought he would be when he entered the league) and not be a total liablity on offense.

If two of Conley, Clarkson and Bogey can be used as trade bait to balance out the team, it would be interesting to see how good that team could be.

Quinn might be on the hot seat. His lack of adjustments, repeatedly, might have sealed his fate.

It will be interesting to see if Gobert sticks around, and if not if the team can make the playoffs (they have been horrible without him in the past). If he is traded and the team is bad, Mitchell will not only want out, his value might tank.

While Royce can be frustrating, he is the primary defender, sometimes only defender aside from Gobert, and in a bench role he could be valuable.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#20 » by bkohler » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:37 am

I just can’t see a viable rebuild without trading on of Rudy/Don. Anything we bring back without trading those two isn’t going to be very good and you’re looking at play in games for the next couple years. I’d rather just go all in on a rebuild personally.

Return to Utah Jazz