Changing tides in Utah

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: Changing tides in Utah 

Post#21 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:41 am

bkohler wrote:I just can’t see a viable rebuild without trading on of Rudy/Don. Anything we bring back without trading those two isn’t going to be very good and you’re looking at play in games for the next couple years. I’d rather just go all in on a rebuild personally.

Tony Jones, who is pretty plugged into the team, has recently indicated that DM will not be traded and the Jazz expect to be in the playoffs next year. Since DM and RG have 3 years remainng on their contracts, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jazz see if they can make things work next year, and then reevaluate a rebuild if it doesn't go well.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#22 » by tugs » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:14 am

This is rough. I'd say the front office has done a tremendous job in putting in the pieces, it's on the coaching staff on how to utilize them. Won't be surprised if Snyder will be replaced in the offseason

As for the personnel, Conley shouldn't be relied on too much from here on out. Maybe time to revert Clarkson back to his natural PG position and start. NAW and Butler should be able to handle off the bench duties offensively. They also have Trent still. Maybe add another 3&D. Royce and House are a good 1-2 but depth there is lacking

Interesting offseason indeed
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#23 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:04 pm

The old Jazz would probably have stayed pat and shifted some pieces, but with Ainge and Wade running the show they will be more aggressive. I think Mitchell is gone,he's a star, but will never be the required superstar you need for a ring. The Jazz will get a couple 1st round picks and a decent young player for him to accelerate the rebuild. They will stealth tank in 2022/2023 for a high first rounder.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#24 » by FJS » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:24 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:The old Jazz would probably have stayed pat and shifted some pieces, but with Ainge and Wade running the show they will be more aggressive. I think Mitchell is gone,he's a star, but will never be the required superstar you need for a ring. The Jazz will get a couple 1st round picks and a decent young player for him to accelerate the rebuild. They will stealth tank in 2022/2023 for a high first rounder.

The last time we had a high pick were Enes Kanter & Dante Exum...

Only Deron Williams and Hayward were allstar in this century being selected in the top 10, and they didn't played too many years with us.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#25 » by bkohler » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:44 pm

Our track record for adding all-stars via free agency is nonexistent so I’m not sure what you’d like us to do?

We’ve got no assets, a broken team, an aging and flawed max player, and a young star that wants out. We’re going to be a lottery team regardless and truthfully in 2022 we played like one.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#26 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat May 7, 2022 10:45 pm

CAE15 wrote:Lot of rough takes in here...

Hell I'm not opposed to trying Russ for a year.

LOL.

Trading Gobert to retool around Mitchell would be asinine. You either trade Donovan and retool around Gobert or you trade both and rebuild from the ground up.

As long as Gobert wants to be in Utah, it would be idiotic to trade him.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#27 » by Catchall » Sun May 8, 2022 1:49 am

The Jazz front office and Quin Snyder need to sit down together and talk honestly about the blueprint of this team. Then decide if Quin is the right coach to make it happen. This has to happen first.

The Jazz invested time and again in creating a Spurs-like system built around Conley, Mitchell and Gobert as sort of a poor man's Parker, Ginobli and Duncan. It hasn't worked. They need to decide if they're going to continue this or go in a different direction based on more size, athleticism and floor balance.

Just in terms of pure asset management, they may decide to trade Bogdanovic since he's in the final year of his deal, and they may decide to trade Conley because his trade value will only decline from here.

But they need to agree upon the types of players they're looking for.

Unfortunately, the Jazz have whiffed so badly in the past three drafts that they don't have any young talent up and coming to lend a hand, though I think Butler will become rotational. NAW should be a contributor too, but he's our inheritance for putting Joe Ingles out to pasture.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#28 » by Crunch 99 » Sun May 8, 2022 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#29 » by Rauxcee » Sun May 8, 2022 6:58 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I believe this tweet came out shortly after the "him or me" rumor.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#30 » by Crunch 99 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:48 pm

5/9/22 Quin Snyder doesn’t sound like a coach who is planning an exit, instead looking to the future of the Jazz
https://www.deseret.com/2022/5/9/23063520/quin-snyder-doesnt-sound-like-a-coach-who-is-planning-an-exit-looking-to-the-future-of-the-jazz
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#31 » by vryadli » Wed May 11, 2022 1:48 am

Crunch 99 wrote:5/9/22 Quin Snyder doesn’t sound like a coach who is planning an exit, instead looking to the future of the Jazz
https://www.deseret.com/2022/5/9/23063520/quin-snyder-doesnt-sound-like-a-coach-who-is-planning-an-exit-looking-to-the-future-of-the-jazz

Basically it said: "Yes, so far everything was working bad, so we fully intended to proceed in the same direction in the future".
jazzed77
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#32 » by jazzed77 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:38 am

I would love for the team to add some young, athletic, defensive players around gobert and Mitchell. There are a ton of players who haven't been giving a chance in the L...at least some of them have potential. The scouting department needs to put some work in.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#33 » by Crunch 99 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:44 am

This article at SI yesterday suggests shaking up the Jazz starting lineup to start Gobert, Mitchell, House, Bogey and Butler, and goes on to say "this group would play at a much faster pace with better team defense." I think this starting lineup could develop in to a better offensive lineup than our current one, but have serious doubts that changing out Royce for House plus changing out Conley for Butler makes the Jazz better defensively.

3 Internal Solutions to Move the Needle for Jazz in 2022-23
https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/utah-internal-upgrades-danuel-house-jared-butler
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#34 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue May 31, 2022 5:31 pm

Is Butler ready to contribute? Is he better than Conley? From what I see, the suggestions in the article are for different lineups with the same personnel we already have. I don't think shuffling around the existing pieces is going to make a big difference--it's not going to make us a contender all of a sudden. The roster need changes, not re-shuffling. We need more talent and players with different skill-sets (like good perimeter defense), not just moving our existing pieces around.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ChiroMike
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#35 » by ChiroMike » Tue May 31, 2022 6:54 pm

You also can’t pay Mike $20 million to come off the bench. You would have to trade him. You would also be better to trade Royce while he has some value before you bench him.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#36 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 5:14 am

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#37 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jun 1, 2022 6:36 am

It's an interesting update on the situation, but it leaves out some context, such as when did the Jazz offer to extend Snyder (was it before or after Ainge was hired).

But at least if gives some clarity on Snyder's contract situation with the Jazz:

The Jazz have offered to extend Snyder's current contract, which has two years left, including his option for the 2023-24 season, sources said.

The thing is, if 'The organization would also welcome Snyder simply returning on his current contract for next season, sources said', then I don't see the point in retaining him anyway. What's another season going to accomplish?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#38 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 12:28 pm

Read on Twitter
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Post#39 » by CallMeKahn » Wed Jun 1, 2022 12:36 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think Andy's right about Quin wanting more dough or power. Dude's got a year left on his deal and it's very rare for a coach to be lame ducked, particularly someone as coveted as Snyder would be. Much as I think it's time for sticky brick of C4 to the current roster, Quin has the better cards in the situation.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#40 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jun 1, 2022 3:17 pm

This podcast claims the Jazz offered Snyder a 5-year extension and he turned it down. Then they offered him a 3-year extension which he 'has not signed'. It's at the 1:00 mark.They say the main issue is Snyder wanting more power over roster moves, which Ainge and Smith has been hesitant to give (at the 13:30 mark).

Return to Utah Jazz