Rebuild: Trade Donovan Mitchell for Maxey and Harris

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,387

Rebuild: Trade Donovan Mitchell for Maxey and Harris 

Post#1 » by Hussien Fatal » Sat May 14, 2022 4:22 pm

If the Jazz are going to press the re set button what would you guys think of a Maxey and Tobias swap?

Maxey is super efficient only 21 y/o (5 years younger than Donovan) and he has an elite work ethic as well as an Elite 3 point shot as he was 3rd in the NBA in 3pt% at blistering 43%. He is also extremely fast and he gets out on the break better than anybody. I think his ceiling is extremely high, while he looks undersized at 6 foot 2 he has a 6 foot 8 wingspan that helps him shoot and finish over defenders. He is a guy that can get his own shot and he is developing a great iso game as he has a good step back shot as well as a great floater in the paint.

Tobias is an elite glue guy. He has improved on defense these past couple of seasons, and he seems to be improving on his catch and shoot 3 pointer. Any given year he will average around 17-20ppg which is very good for a role player.

To make this trade work Utah may need to add a piece to match salaries.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good trade package for a rebuild?
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: Rebuild: Trade Donovan Mitchell for Maxey and Harris 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat May 14, 2022 4:32 pm

Rebuilding with Harris who is 2 months away from being 30 is like rebuilding with Gobert who is 2 months away from being 30. It's great that Harris is an elite glue guy, but that doesn't justify his huge contract (which is very close to Gobert's), just like Gobert being an elite defender doesn't justify his huge contract. If you have such players on your roster making this kind of money, you're not going to be able to put together a good enough team that would be better than what the Jazz and the Sixers are, so that's a pass for me. I do like Maxey a lot, though.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#3 » by dr0welf » Sat May 14, 2022 9:53 pm

This sounds like a treadmill trade not a rebuild. Maxey doesn't solve size issues and Harris is not a top 2 player on a team that competes for a championship. So we are trading arguably our top player for potential in Maxey and another Bogey basically. Makes no sense why we would even look at this.

Only way to make this happen is getting more teams involved where Conley is shipped out as well so Maxey takes that position and Harris goes to a different team and that other team gives another prospect plus trade compensation to help give future flexibility.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#4 » by Catchall » Sat May 14, 2022 10:00 pm

Jazz won't take Tobias' contract. If the Jazz trade Mitchell, it will be for a haul of picks, including a high lottery pick.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#5 » by Rastas » Sun May 15, 2022 3:58 am

Harris contract should be viewed accordingly -
22-23 Tobias is a 37mill 20pt per game PF/SF.
23-24 Tobias becomes a very juicy 39mill expiring contract.

Does not look as bad as most make it out to be.

And then you have Maxey with all that promise and 3 more rookie years.
He wont need to be paid until Gobert's contract expires.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 15, 2022 4:40 am

Rastas wrote:Harris contract should be viewed accordingly -
22-23 Tobias is a 37mill 20pt per game PF/SF.
23-24 Tobias becomes a very juicy 39mill expiring contract.

Does not look as bad as most make it out to be.

And then you have Maxey with all that promise and 3 more rookie years.
He wont need to be paid until Gobert's contract expires.

Can't polish a turd. Harris is a fine player but only one time has he reached 20ppg, and you don't pay someone $40 million just because they can average 20. I do think there is the potential for a Mitchell to Philly trade if we decide to rebuild, but you aren't making a good case here. I think something like this would make more sense:

Utah trades: Mitchell, Conley
Utah receives: Maxey, Spinger, Westbrook (released), 2023 PHI 1st, 2027 LAL 1st

Philadelphia trades: Harris, Green, Maxey, Springer, 2023 PHI 1st
Philadelphia receives: Mitchell, Conley

Lakers trade: Westbrook, 2027 LAL 1st (unprotected)
Lakers receive: Harris, Green

That at least gets us one prospect who has already shown the ability to play, another big guard who has potential, plus two firsts. It's not a home-run but it's also not horrific. We'd still be a good team if we wanted to be. I also think Maxey's personality fits our organization perfectly, so I'd love to have him here.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,941

Post#7 » by wegotthabeet » Sun May 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Catchall wrote:Jazz won't take Tobias' contract. If the Jazz trade Mitchell, it will be for a haul of picks, including a high lottery pick.

I don't know if a haul of mid 1st rounders is the way to go either, depends on if they are planning on keeping Gobert. I have Mitchell's value at one high pick (top 5), one former high pick, plus one starter/rotation help now piece. Something like...

To Utah: 2022 FRP + Suggs + Isaac
To Orlando: Mitchell

There's some upside there with a top 5 pick, a recent top 5 pick and if/when healthy a great starter/fit next to Gobert to improve their defence.

Conley
Suggs
Bogdanovic
Isaac
Gobert

Then draft Ivey/Murray/Sharpe and adjust the roster from there. Utah might not even have to take a step back with this type of move plus Suggs, Isaac and the pick leave plenty of room for upside and flexibility. They could move Conley and Bogdanovic in seperate deals if needed.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#8 » by Catchall » Sun May 15, 2022 7:09 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:
Catchall wrote:Jazz won't take Tobias' contract. If the Jazz trade Mitchell, it will be for a haul of picks, including a high lottery pick.

I don't know if a haul of mid 1st rounders is the way to go either, depends on if they are planning on keeping Gobert. I have Mitchell's value at one high pick (top 5), one former high pick, plus one starter/rotation help now piece. Something like...

There's some upside there with a top 5 pick, a recent top 5 pick and if/when healthy a great starter/fit next to Gobert to improve their defence.

Conley
Suggs
Bogdanovic
Isaac
Gobert

Then draft Ivey/Murray/Sharpe and adjust the roster from there. Utah might not even have to take a step back with this type of move plus Suggs, Isaac and the pick leave plenty of room for upside and flexibility. They could move Conley and Bogdanovic in seperate deals if needed.

Jazz will trade Conley, Bogdanovic and Gobert before they trade Mitchell. They'll shift their development timeline back.

I generally agree about Mitchell's trade value, but it depends on how hot the market is. I think a few teams would be willing to pay a lot.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#9 » by sip » Sun May 15, 2022 7:19 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:

Conley
Suggs
Bogdanovic
Isaac
Gobert

This is the type of deal that I would kill for. Huge fan of Suggs even though he struggled this year plus a top 5 pick. I can't imagine the magic would go for that though unless they are focused on competing next season. I think they are ready to make a huge leap next year though regardless.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Catchall
RealGM

Post#10 » by Catchall » Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 pm

sip wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

Conley
Suggs
Bogdanovic
Isaac
Gobert

This is the type of deal that I would kill for. Huge fan of Suggs even though he struggled this year plus a top 5 pick. I can't imagine the magic would go for that though unless they are focused on competing next season. I think they are ready to make a huge leap next year though regardless.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

Jaden Ivey should be able to replace much of what Mitchell does in a few years. My pet conspiracy theory this year is that the league will move the Knicks up into the top 4 so they can sweeten their trade offer for Mitchell.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#11 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 18, 2022 12:44 am

Several Sixers fans are intrigued by a potential Maxey/Mitchell deal. I've proposed:

Harris/Maxey/Thybulle/Green(waived)/#23 for Mitchell/Conley/O'Neale, which leaves you guys with:

Maxey/Clarkson
Thybulle/Butler
Bojan/#23
Harris/Gay
Gobert/Whiteside

More of a retool than a rebuild for sure. Other variants of the trade might work too.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:Several Sixers fans are intrigued by a potential Maxey/Mitchell deal. I've proposed:

Harris/Maxey/Thybulle/Green(waived)/FRP for Mitchell/Conley/O'Neale, which leaves you guys with:

Maxey/Clarkson
Thybulle/Butler
Bojan/Gay
Harris/Gay
Gobert/Whiteside

More of a retool than a rebuild for sure. Other variants of the trade might work too.

I’d do that.
Ingles is cooked.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#13 » by bkohler » Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Several Sixers fans are intrigued by a potential Maxey/Mitchell deal. I've proposed:

Harris/Maxey/Thybulle/Green(waived)/FRP for Mitchell/Conley/O'Neale, which leaves you guys with:

Maxey/Clarkson
Thybulle/Butler
Bojan/Gay
Harris/Gay
Gobert/Whiteside

I don't think the value is horrible but I just don't like the direction of that team. Feels like you top out as a 2nd round exit team with the majority of your players being older. Maxey is a good piece but I'm not sure that's what I'd want to rebuild around in the future and it feels like that is where this would be heading.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#14 » by Catchall » Wed May 18, 2022 10:49 pm

I could see the Jazz discussing Mitchell with the Kings for #4 (Ivey/Sharpe), future unprotected 1st, protected 1st and a pick swap.

I could see the Jazz discussing Mitchell with the Heat for Herro, plus multiple 1sts.

I could see the Jazz discussing Mitchell with the Knicks for a massive haul of picks.

I can't see the Jazz moving Mitchell to the Sixers. At all really.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
jazzed77
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#15 » by jazzed77 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:01 pm

I love what Maxey and thybulle bring. Like I said in the other thread, I don't mind Harris and feel like between their defense/toughness and developing offense they'd make up for the offense of losing Mitchell and to a lesser extent Conley

Return to Utah Jazz