Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#181 » by pickIBL » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 pm

dautjazz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Jc gonna be dealt at the deadline for like a bunch more picks. Take note!
What team would be dumb enough to trade multiple FRPs for an expiring contract? Jazz are going to give him an extension. We could get much more in return for him in the future if he's on a longer contract, so long as it's a healthy contract. I think Hardy and Jazz front office like Clarkson and know he's a fan favorite, so I see them holding on to him for a while.

Regardless, if the goal is a rebuild to contention... he's extra. I like him too. He has surprised me. And I would not hesitate to trade him.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#182 » by TNJazz » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:57 pm

pickIBL wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Jc gonna be dealt at the deadline for like a bunch more picks. Take note!
What team would be dumb enough to trade multiple FRPs for an expiring contract? Jazz are going to give him an extension. We could get much more in return for him in the future if he's on a longer contract, so long as it's a healthy contract. I think Hardy and Jazz front office like Clarkson and know he's a fan favorite, so I see them holding on to him for a while.

Regardless, if the goal is a rebuild to contention... he's extra. I like him too. He has surprised me. And I would not hesitate to trade him.

I'm not sure the plan is to rebuild via gathering assets anymore. I also don';t think his value is all that high due to his expiring contract. He is a fan favorite, Hardy likes him and so does Ryan Smith, do I see him getting a quality new contract for 2-3 years with the hope his productivity and energy stay high.

I'm liking the plan of continuing to play hard quality basketball, build this group of players into a solid team and then add to it through the MN pick as they are not in a good place right now, or at least not where everyone thought they should be after the trade. I'm not sure they will make the playoffs, which is great for the Jazz!!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#183 » by pickIBL » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:01 pm

TNJazz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
dautjazz wrote:What team would be dumb enough to trade multiple FRPs for an expiring contract? Jazz are going to give him an extension. We could get much more in return for him in the future if he's on a longer contract, so long as it's a healthy contract. I think Hardy and Jazz front office like Clarkson and know he's a fan favorite, so I see them holding on to him for a while.

I'm not sure the plan is to rebuild via gathering assets anymore. I also don';t think his value is all that high due to his expiring contract. He is a fan favorite, Hardy likes him and so does Ryan Smith, do I see him getting a quality new contract for 2-3 years with the hope his productivity and energy stay high.

I'm liking the plan of continuing to play hard quality basketball, build this group of players into a solid team and then add to it through the MN pick as they are not in a good place right now, or at least not where everyone thought they should be after the trade. I'm not sure they will make the playoffs, which is great for the Jazz!!

I've got no issues with not doing the hard tank. We don't need a baby bulls situation. Just saying there should be no issue moving him if it's better long term. You don't want a burden with his contract down the road. The Frenchman is intriguing, but his height does scare me. If we miss out we miss out.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#184 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:11 pm

Anyone want to support the idea of building around Markkanen? A super efficient guy on a bargain deal for a few years.

At least you'd have the ammo to pay for the other positions.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#185 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:47 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:Anyone want to support the idea of building around Markkanen? A super efficient guy on a bargain deal for a few years.

I am not against going that direction if that is the hand we are dealt, but I am not sure that Markkanen is a number one type guy on a legitimate contender or not. I don't know what his ultimate upside is. The Jazz are featuring Markkanen more than other teams have, but imo, the Jazz still are not focusing on making Markkanen the best player he can be.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#186 » by vryadli » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:06 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:Anyone want to support the idea of building around Markkanen? A super efficient guy on a bargain deal for a few years.

I am not against going that direction if that is the hand we are dealt, but I am not sure that Markkanen is a number one type guy on a legitimate contender or not. I don't know what his ultimate upside is. The Jazz are featuring Markkanen more than other teams have, but imo, the Jazz still are not focusing on making Markkanen the best player he can be.

The best player on the team and one to build a team around is not the same things. For second the player:
1. has to be unselfish, improve players around him
2. has high BBIQ
3. be a glue guy in the locker.
4. Have some moderate amount of fire (that may be less important, guys like Dunkan or Dirk were pretty quiet)

LM has 1 and probably 2, too early about 3 but doesn't look like that just now, and 4 is not very likely.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#187 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:55 pm

;t=40s
That was nasty poster.
Hopefully Sabonis is OK physically and mentally.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#188 » by vryadli » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:42 pm

Don't worry about Sabonis. Sabonises are stubborn, mentally robust , hard working, very durable brand. Arvidas played through all physical and historical turbulences till 40 and played some bball till at least 50.

Also, if you wre looking from US, DS and LM family origins are almost the same place, so that is almost inside a family.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#189 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:54 pm

vryadli wrote:Don't worry about Sabonis. Sabonises are stubborn, mentally robust , hard working, very durable brand. Arvidas played through all physical and historical turbulences till 40 and played some bball till at least 50.

Also, if you wre looking from US, DS and LM family origins are almost the same place, so that is almost inside a family.

Really?
However great poster dunk by Lauri that should be best dunk of the season.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#190 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 5:41 pm

When Markkanen started out the season as a 20+ ppg scorer, there was skepticism on the General Board regarding whether he would maintain it. Now we are almost to the halfway mark, and Markkanen has been getting more productive, not less productive. For his first 18 games, he averaged 22.3 ppg on 15.2 fga with 8.4 rebs and 64.8 TS%. For his last 18 games, he's averaged 25.1 ppg on 15.7 fga with 8.6 rebs and 69.2 TS%.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#191 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:17 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:When Markkanen started out the season as a 20+ ppg scorer, there was skepticism on the General Board regarding whether he would maintain it. Now we are almost to the halfway mark, and Markkanen has been getting more productive, not less productive. For his first 18 games, he averaged 22.3 ppg on 15.2 fga with 8.4 rebs and 64.8 TS%. For the last 18 games, he averaged 25.1 ppg on 15.7 fga with 8.6 rebs and 69.2 TS%.

Frankly, he looks like he can average 30 with how he's playing, how he's scoring and his efficiency.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#192 » by FranchisePlayer » Mon Jan 2, 2023 7:14 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:When Markkanen started out the season as a 20+ ppg scorer, there was skepticism on the General Board regarding whether he would maintain it. Now we are almost to the halfway mark, and Markkanen has been getting more productive, not less productive. For his first 18 games, he averaged 22.3 ppg on 15.2 fga with 8.4 rebs and 64.8 TS%. For the last 18 games, he averaged 25.1 ppg on 15.7 fga with 8.6 rebs and 69.2 TS%.

Yes, I recently found that thread you referred to. Most of the comments were way back from October but my God, were there some signature worthy quotes! Skepticism is kind of an understatement of the tone in those posts.

Really weird why some posters still hang on to the idea he can't keep this up.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#193 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 4, 2023 4:53 pm

It's hard to take all this losing, but at least the Jazz are involving Markkanen more in fourth quarters than they were before and we are in most games with minutes to go.

Over the last five games in Q4, Markkanen is averaging an impressive 8 ppg on 4.8 fga, while getting to the line 21 times to hit all 21 free throws. The first 32 games, Lauri averaged 4.5 ppg on 3.0 fga in Q4.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#194 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 4, 2023 4:54 pm

Will Hardy was fielding uncomfortable questions awhile back concerning why the Jazz weren't involving Markkanen more in second halfs and fourth quarters. I am wildly guessing that Lauri's increasing Q4 productivity is likely a combination of him being more aggressive and some direction from the coaches to get him more touches. Go Lauri!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#195 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jan 4, 2023 5:09 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Will Hardy was fielding uncomfortable questions awhile back concerning why the Jazz weren't involving Markkanen more in second halfs and fourth quarters. I am wildly guessing that Lauri's increasing Q4 productivity is likely a combination of him being more aggressive and some direction from the coaches to get him more touches. Go Lauri!

Well, if that's what creates change, can we get him to start fielding uncomfortable questions concerning why in the h3ll Rudy Gay is getting regular minutes? lol (The only guess I have that makes any level of sense is they are praying Gay does something to give himself trade value ...but that's not looking good.)

Back onto topic ... Lauri looks very confident out there, and he's seemingly getting better, despite being scouted as a #1 option for the first time in his career. Happy to have him with the Jazz and hope he continues to evolve as a player.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#196 » by BigJimFinn » Wed Jan 4, 2023 5:28 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Will Hardy was fielding uncomfortable questions awhile back concerning why the Jazz weren't involving Markkanen more in second halfs and fourth quarters. I am wildly guessing that Lauri's increasing Q4 productivity is likely a combination of him being more aggressive and some direction from the coaches to get him more touches. Go Lauri!

Well, if that's what creates change, can we get him to start fielding uncomfortable questions concerning why in the h3ll Rudy Gay is getting regular minutes? lol (The only guess I have that makes any level of sense is they are praying Gay does something to give himself trade value ...but that's not looking good.)

Back onto topic ... Lauri looks very confident out there, and he's seemingly getting better, despite being scouted as a #1 option for the first time in his career. Happy to have him with the Jazz and hope he continues to evolve as a player.

The Rudy Gay question is easy to answer: you do not have any other guys over 6'5" who could take his place in the rotation, since he is playing basically as the 5th big, and that includes Lauri who mostly plays 3. Azubuike has looked too limited, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else, especially as Fontecchio is out. Of course finding any live body to bring in would be very easy, IF the goal was to make marginal improvements, but Ainge may be perfectly happy with a competitive-looking team that will miss the playoffs. It hurts to see Rudy brick shots and stumble around like he was 46 rather than 36, but NBA is a cruel country for most old men.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#197 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jan 4, 2023 7:19 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

The Rudy Gay question is easy to answer: you do not have any other guys over 6'5" who could take his place in the rotation, since he is playing basically as the 5th big, and that includes Lauri who mostly plays 3. Azubuike has looked too limited, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else, especially as Fontecchio is out. Of course finding any live body to bring in would be very easy, IF the goal was to make marginal improvements, but Ainge may be perfectly happy with a competitive-looking team that will miss the playoffs. It hurts to see Rudy brick shots and stumble around like he was 46 rather than 36, but NBA is a cruel country for most old men.

Doke is terrible and definitely isn't needing to be on the court. In my mind, Fontecchio needs to be getting Gay's minutes, with perhaps a few spread to Kessler. Simone isn't on any injury reports I can see, and has been on the bench in his game gear, so I believe he's getting DNP coaches decision. Gay doesn't play big, so his size matters not. He is shooting 21% on 3's, and is doing nothing but taking minutes from younger players at this point. I just can't imagine any reason to play him, no matter the match-up, outside of hopes someone will see trade value (they'd be crazy).

Honestly, I'd rather see Potter out there, if it boils down simply to "size". Can't be any worse.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#198 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Jan 4, 2023 9:01 pm

Yeah, stick a fork in Gay, he's done.

12/2/2022
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#199 » by BigJimFinn » Wed Jan 4, 2023 9:22 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
BigJimFinn wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Doke is terrible and definitely isn't needing to be on the court. In my mind, Fontecchio needs to be getting Gay's minutes, with perhaps a few spread to Kessler. Simone isn't on any injury reports I can see, and has been on the bench in his game gear, so I believe he's getting DNP coaches decision. Gay doesn't play big, so his size matters not. He is shooting 21% on 3's, and is doing nothing but taking minutes from younger players at this point. I just can't imagine any reason to play him, no matter the match-up, outside of hopes someone will see trade value (they'd be crazy).

Honestly, I'd rather see Potter out there, if it boils down simply to "size". Can't be any worse.

At the start of the season I thought Rudy would be the first vet to be moved due to his small contract, but by now every minute he's on the floor just confirms he is D-U-N done and of no use to playoff teams. Agree that if Fontecchio is fit to play he should, and it seems he is getting DNPs, probably because he has shot 1/10 from 3 in the few minutes he has played after the injury break. Kessler I think is getting all the minutes he can, limited somewhat by foul trouble and spacing issues when paired with Vando, but he should be a 30 minute guy before end of season.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#200 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jan 5, 2023 2:58 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
BigJimFinn wrote:

At the start of the season I thought Rudy would be the first vet to be moved due to his small contract, but by now every minute he's on the floor just confirms he is D-U-N done and of no use to playoff teams. Agree that if Fontecchio is fit to play he should, and it seems he is getting DNPs, probably because he has shot 1/10 from 3 in the few minutes he has played after the injury break. Kessler I think is getting all the minutes he can, limited somewhat by foul trouble and spacing issues when paired with Vando, but he should be a 30 minute guy before end of season.

Should probably take this to another thread, since we're off topic, but read this last night, and thought it was funny since we were just talking about the same subject.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/1/4/23481149/utah-jazz-rudy-gay-getting-minutes-but-why

Return to Utah Jazz