Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: The Official 2022-2023 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#141 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:27 pm

Jazz parting ways with Alex Jensen and Irv Roland
https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/will-hardy-report-alex-jensen-irv-roland
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#142 » by AingesBurner » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:36 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Jazz parting ways with Alex Jensen and Irv Roland
https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/will-hardy-report-alex-jensen-irv-roland

Really surprising because of Alex’s ability to improve big men but I bet he’s a head coach before next season.
Ingles is cooked.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#143 » by Darthlukey » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:20 am

Celtics fan here in peace (we'll mostly). Didn't think to look on your board when it happened, but what did you all think of the trade with the lakers for the future protected 1st? To me, Danny gifted the lakers an entire compliment of good role players for a pick that has a very limited upside and westbrooks expiring deal. Utah was well under compensated
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#144 » by AingesBurner » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:25 am

Darthlukey wrote:Celtics fan here in peace (we'll mostly). Didn't think to look on your board when it happened, but what did you all think of the trade with the lakers for the future protected 1st? To me, Danny gifted the lakers an entire compliment of good role players for a pick that has a very limited upside and westbrooks expiring deal. Utah was well under compensated

Didn’t see it.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#145 » by AingesBurner » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:26 am

Darthlukey wrote:Celtics fan here in peace (we'll mostly). Didn't think to look on your board when it happened, but what did you all think of the trade with the lakers for the future protected 1st? To me, Danny gifted the lakers an entire compliment of good role players for a pick that has a very limited upside and westbrooks expiring deal. Utah was well under compensated

Nevermind, it is what it is. He played long ball with that trade and doubt we use it because it will be used in a trade.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#146 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:22 am

That's exactly how how saw it at the time and still do. I've complained about it at length. In fact, it's even worse that that. He also sent Conley and NAW to the Wolves, which only helped them and made the pick they owe us worse. And what's even worse, he had to pay the Wolves two second round picks to take those players, who made them better (to the detriment of the Jazz) to begin with, instead of receiving compensation. And that's even before we consider how it helped them regarding DLO's contract situation (they were about to lose him for nothing with no way to replace him).

I think Ainge should have cut Minnesota out of the trade and dealt directly with the Lakers, sending them Conley instead of Russell, and get their two picks instead of just one. And even if he only got one, there should have been zero protections. I still hate this trade for the Jazz.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#147 » by Darthlukey » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:49 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

That's exactly how how saw it at the time and still do. I've complained about it at length. In fact, it's even worse that that. He also sent Conley and NAW to the Wolves, which only helped them and made the pick they owe us worse. And what's even worse, he had to pay the Wolves two second round picks to take those players, who made them better (to the detriment of the Jazz) to begin with, instead of receiving compensation. And that's even before we consider how it helped them regarding DLO's contract situation (they were about to lose him for nothing with no way to replace him).

I think Ainge should have cut Minnesota out of the trade and dealt directly with the Lakers, sending them Conley instead of Russell, and get their two picks instead of just one. And even if he only got one, there should have been zero protections. I still hate this trade for the Jazz.

That is the passion I was expecting! You articulated it better too
kamazilla
Senior
And1: 62

Post#148 » by kamazilla » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:25 am

For the Jazz, I reckon the Lakers/ Wolves trade was about returning some value to Minnesota after pillaging their assets last summer, while also shedding talent in order to tank and doing the Lakers (i.e. the Association) a solid.

Return is a better draft pick for the Jazz this season, potentially a great pick from the Lakers down the road, and some added respect for the front office around the league (which can pay dividends when cashing in those aforementioned assets already accrued). The war chest is pretty flush already, I don't know if another marginal 1st round pick or a couple second rounders would really help, but maybe GMs slightly more receptive to offers from the Jazz could.

And not to push any conspiracy theories, but it would certainly feel synchronous were the draft lottery to favor the Jazz this year or next– when I suspect they'll work a little harder to get the tank right.

Return to Utah Jazz