The Official 2022-2023 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Re: The Official 2022-2023 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#121 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Apr 4, 2023 2:41 pm

The article is a bit over-dramatic. It's not a 'crushing injury', he got hit in the head and he's going through the concussion protocol, which is normal procedure. And while it may be technically a 'season ending injury,' this phrasing is needlessly bombastic since there are only 4 games left in the season.

As for the Jazz's chances of winning any of the remaining games without him, it's probably true but the Jazz aren't interested in winning games at this point anyway.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#122 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 1:09 pm

Ochai Agbaji

Over the last ten games as a starter, rookie Ochai Agbaji has averaged an impressive 14.8 ppg on 11 fga, 42.7 3p%, 59.4 TS%, along with 3.2 rebs, 2.5 apg and 1 tov.

I hope the Jazz and Clarkson are able to arrive at mutually agreeable terms for a new contract, but Ochai's emergence as a credible starter takes some pressure off the Jazz to re-sign veteran Clarkson at unfavorable terms.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#123 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Apr 5, 2023 10:07 pm

I like what I've seen from Saminic. He looks the part of a bench PF, IMO. I like him more than Fontecchio (I actually wish he didn't have a guaranteed contract next season).
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 449

Post#124 » by bkohler » Wed Apr 5, 2023 10:16 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Ochai Agbaji

Over the last ten games as a starter, rookie Ochai Agbaji has averaged an impressive 14.8 ppg on 11 fga, 42.7 3p%, 59.4 TS%, along with 3.2 rebs, 2.5 apg and 1 tov.

I hope the Jazz and Clarkson are able to arrive at mutually agreeable terms for a new contract, but Ochai's emergence as a credible starter takes some pressure off the Jazz to re-sign veteran Clarkson at unfavorable terms.

It feels like Clarkson has played himself into a situation where nearly no contract makes sense for Utah. He'll get more on the open market than it will make sense for Utah to offer for him to go back to being the 6th man, and that's really what he needs to be a good team.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#125 » by BigJimFinn » Thu Apr 6, 2023 7:46 am

bkohler wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Ochai Agbaji

It feels like Clarkson has played himself into a situation where nearly no contract makes sense for Utah. He'll get more on the open market than it will make sense for Utah to offer for him to go back to being the 6th man, and that's really what he needs to be a good team.

Also, Sexton and THT seem to be most effective in the same role as 6th man scorer/ballhandler, and it makes little sense for Utah to commit long term to the oldest and most expensive of the trio. Clarkson will lose trade value quickly, if he is overpaid for the sixth man role while aging on a multi-year contract, though his playstyle isn't really dependent on athleticism.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#126 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 6, 2023 9:16 am

Yep, totally right. A quick way to have a mediocre team is overpaying multiple sixth men (not to mention at the same ball dominant position). If you sign JC you should move Sexton.

Either way you should let THT walk unless his next contract is half his current one.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#127 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 6, 2023 11:20 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I like what I've seen from Saminic. He looks the part of a bench PF, IMO. I like him more than Fontecchio (I actually wish he didn't have a guaranteed contract next season).

I'd like to see a bit more of him but I agree, he looks like he could fill a role off the bench on a low cost and I wouldn't mind if we gave him a contract for next season.

As for Fontecchio, he has been a bit disappointing to me but maybe it's the game being too fast for him as a rookie, albeit an older one.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#128 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 7, 2023 1:19 pm

And right on cue, the Jazz sign Samanic through next season. I don't mind it, he has shown he could fit and be useful. But I'd like to see what big moves the Jazz take to make this roster competitive and eventually a contender. It's all good and well to find role players but we need another star player.

Jazz Sign Luka Samanic Through 2023-24 Season
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271075/Jazz-Sign-Luka-Samanic-Through-2023-24-Season

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#129 » by vryadli » Fri Apr 7, 2023 2:41 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:And right on cue, the Jazz sign Samanic through next season. I don't mind it, he has shown he could fit and be useful. But I'd like to see what big moves the Jazz take to make this roster competitive and eventually a contender. It's all good and well to find role players but we need another star player.

Jazz Sign Luka Samanic Through 2023-24 Season
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271075/Jazz-Sign-Luka-Samanic-Through-2023-24-Season

That's easy. They at last fall into the right pattern. Now they just have to continue what they did in the end of this season to the beginning of the next and keep that pace a couple of years. Thy become NBA asset champion, may be even set All-Time record for assets accumulated.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#130 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Apr 9, 2023 12:08 pm

Jazz To Sign Veron Carey Jr To Two-Year Deal
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271102/Jazz-To-Sign-Veron-Carey-Jr-To-Two-Year-Deal

The Jazz intend to give Carey a long look throughout Summer League and training camp ahead of next season. The 6-foot-9 big man will bring some additional depth to the frontcourt this offseason.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#131 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:29 pm

Locke predicts the Jazz will win 26 games next season. This is the second time he said that (and this time he dedicated a whole podcast on this topic). To me, it seems unlikely and also doesn't make much sense. If the front office is fine with winning 26 games, why didn't they do it this season? They could have been much more aggressive early on to reach this goal.

We'll see how the offseason goes but my guess is that even if the Jazz build a roster with no significant additions through free agency, they'll try to consolidate some assets on a star like Trae Young, Jalen Brown, or a player a tier below like Bridges, Anunoby, etc.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:56 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Locke predicts the Jazz will win 26 games next season. This is the second time he said that (and this time he dedicated a whole podcast on this topic). To me, it seems unlikely and also doesn't make much sense. If the front office is fine with winning 26 games, why didn't they do it this season? They could have been much more aggressive early on to reach this goal.

We'll see how the offseason goes but my guess is that even if the Jazz build a roster with no significant additions through free agency, they'll try to consolidate some assets on a star like Trae Young, Jalen Brown, or a player a tier below like Bridges, Anunoby, etc.

I'll have to watch that podcast as on its face it makes no sense that the Jazz would only win 26 games (31% win percentage) next season. They went 10-16 (winning 38.5% of their games) after the trade deadline pretty much without Clarkson and Sexton. With 2 way and GL players they still almost made the playoffs as Markkanen and Kessler are beasts. Even if the draftees aren't ready to step up in year one, a lineup of Sexton, OA, Markk, Olynyk (or other forward) and Kessler should be able to win at least as many games as they did this year, and probably more.

I agree with you that if this is part of the overall plan, it doesn't make much sense to not put yourself into a position to have a top 6 pick this year and tank for the 2024 draft, which all reports are that it is going to be very weak. Also, what are they spending their $60M cap space on this summer??
bkohler
Rookie

Post#133 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:34 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Locke predicts the Jazz will win 26 games next season. This is the second time he said that (and this time he dedicated a whole podcast on this topic). To me, it seems unlikely and also doesn't make much sense. If the front office is fine with winning 26 games, why didn't they do it this season? They could have been much more aggressive early on to reach this goal.

The fact that he brought it up and mentioned our pick protected next year makes me wonder if that’s the internal messaging that he’s hearing. Resetting expectations again.

I can see if we roll out a lot of youth next year and eat bad contracts how that could happen.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#134 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:55 pm

Markkanen has repeatedly said he is happy with the organization and living in Utah, but I am guessing that could change if he doesn't get an opportunity to compete in the playoffs next season.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#135 » by vryadli » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:06 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:

Markkanen has repeatedly said he is happy with the organization and living in Utah, but I am guessing that could change if he doesn't get an opportunity to compete in the playoffs next season.

All that about to lose and be happy reminds me the first season with DM when they missed PO and were happy....
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#136 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:16 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:

Plus dude is going to have real killer instinct; his confidence is going to be through the roof, and I bet we see an improvement from this season. Something happens with your confidence when you train to kill.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#137 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:39 pm

vryadli wrote:All that about to lose and be happy reminds me the first season with DM when they missed PO and were happy....

The Jazz didn't miss the playoffs with Mitchell. They made it even in his rookie season.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#138 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:30 pm

^^ It probably is Locke doing the FOs bidding of setting low expectations.

However, after watching his podcast, I think that his comparisons to the Celtics rebuild are off. The Celtics traded their aged stars and had only an aging Rondo and Jeff Green, neither of whom were All Stars, with a bunch of rookies and scrubs the year they only won 26 games. Then, they got Isaiah Thomas (and drafted Marcus Smart and had 2nd yr Olynyk) and won 40 games the next season.

We will have, at a minimum, our All Star Markkanen, Sexton, Agbaji and Kessler, which is another forward away from a competitive starting lineup (Dunn starting and Sexton as the 6th man also makes a lot of sense). Probably also have Olynyk and at least one or both of Kris Dunn/THT. Even if they end up with 3 rookies, they should win more than 26 games. I bet they at least make the play in. TBH, I will be disappointed if they don't.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#139 » by vryadli » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:42 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
vryadli wrote:All that about to lose and be happy reminds me the first season with DM when they missed PO and were happy....

The Jazz didn't miss the playoffs with Mitchell. They made it even in his rookie season.

Aufully sorry, my big mistake. It was 2015-2016, nobody's last or first year.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#140 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:08 am

Did anyone else notice that in the fall, Ainge indicated that he traded away Gobert, Mitchell, etc as there wasn’t the team unity and passion to play with each other. However, more recently about the draft and free agency he mentioned that they need to build a team that is not built for the regular season, but rather the playoffs where teams can take advantage of player /team shortcomings? I think it is the latter of why Gobert and Mitchell were traded in the first place as they both had exploitable flaws in the playoffs.

I’m expecting the Jazz to acquire bigger, more athletic and versatile two way players moving forward that can’t be switched and isolated on defense and taken advantage of, while still being able to score. Sounds obvious, but we haven’t had a team like that for a while, if ever.

Return to Utah Jazz