SIGN KRIS DUNN NOW

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: SIGN KRIS DUNN NOW 

Post#21 » by red4hf » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:19 pm

If Dunn keeps playing as he has been, not a chance the Jazz will let him go next season..... Doesn't matter who we draft.......
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#22 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:43 pm

red4hf wrote:If Dunn keeps playing as he has been, not a chance the Jazz will let him go next season..... Doesn't matter who we draft.......

If the Jazz are serious about extending Clarkson, I hope to be able to see Dunn and Clarkson play with Markk and Kessler. Although, I suspect it will be bad for the tank.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#23 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:08 pm

Here is a look at Sexton and THT's stats as Jazz starters. Just about every one of of Sexton's and THT's Jazz starts has been as point guard. Sexton is a much more efficient scorer and has a better ast:tov ratio, whereas THT's length on defense and rebounding is a plus for THT. THT is just getting his first crack at being a PG.

Like many of us, I suspect we draft or trade for a PG this summer. If not, I think Kris Dunn has a shot at eventually taking over the starting PG job, though we have yet to see Dunn start a game.

FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#24 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:27 pm

I'll add another stat of them as starters: Sexton 223 GS, THT has 34. 223, 34.

I like Dunn a lot, but I'm skeptical of his offensive prowess - is it enough to warrant for a regular gig?

Plu Kris did once manage to concuss himself and break two teeth all by himself while executing a dunk:

MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#25 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 pm

Are we going to look back 6 months to a year from now and wish that the Jazz had signed Dunn for a longer contract?

The opportunity to draft that PGOTF is slipping away and I don't see any UFA PGs this summer that I'm excited about.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#26 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:06 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Are we going to look back 6 months to a year from now and wish that the Jazz had signed Dunn for a longer contract?

Yes. Even if Dunn doesn't become the starting PG, which I think is possible, at the very least we probably had a chance to sign a very capable backup PG for longer than two years for very low dollars.

SoCalJazzFan wrote:The opportunity to draft that PGOTF is slipping away and I don't see any UFA PGs this summer that I'm excited about.

Ainge and Zanik are probably as surprised as we are about the last couple of Jazz wins that hurt the Jazz' chances to get a top ten draft pick.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#27 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Apr 7, 2023 12:04 pm

Dunn finally got a chance to start a game last night playing against OKC. The shorthanded Jazz lost the game, but Dunn knocked it out the park, coming up with the highest EFF score (34) for the game by a long shot. He scored the same number of points as SGA on ten fewer shot attempts.

I understand the Jazz want to develop 21 year old THT, and THT is making some progress, but Dunn should be given a legitimate opportunity to compete for the starting pg job next season imo (assuming we don't draft Scooter I guess). He's averaging 12.3 ppg on 60.1 TS%, along with 5.1 ast, 4.1 reb, 1.1 stl and 1.5 tov in just 24.5 mpg. His numbers per 36 mins are very good.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#28 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:51 pm

I am still questioning the Jazz' decision to pass up an opportunity to lock up Dunn for longer than the 23-24 season on the cheap, assuming Dunn was willing to sign longer. I think Dunn is far from done in the NBA. He just turned 29, has very low NBA miles on his body and he brings lots of energy to both ends of the court. I guess there is still a legitimate concern whether Dunn can hit threes at a respectable percentage, given his low career 3p%, but this past season he managed to hit them on good percentage in both the G-league and NBA, albeit on very low 3pa/game.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#29 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:27 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:I am still questioning the Jazz' decision to pass up an opportunity to lock up Dunn for longer than the 23-24 season on the cheap, assuming Dunn was willing to sign longer. I think Dunn is far from done in the NBA. He just turned 29, has very low NBA miles on his body and he brings lots of energy to both ends of the court. I guess there is still a legitimate concern whether Dunn can hit threes at a respectable percentage, given his low career 3p%, but this past season he managed to hit them on good percentage in both the G-league and NBA, albeit on very low 3pa/game.

I would have liked to see a 4 yr 12 mill deal. Dunn doesn’t have to worry about being relegated to the G League again and Utah has a good backup PG.
Ingles is cooked.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#30 » by TNJazz » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:37 pm

I was impressed by his work on the court especially on the defensive side. Most of the naysayers talk about his luck of production offensively, but I thought he showed an ability to get inside and force teams to guard him similarly to how CP3 moves inside for his patented midrange shot. I'm not saying Dunn is anywhere in the same galaxy as CP3, just that he has an ability to get to spots on the court where he is pretty consistent. Obviously, he has and will need to continue to work on his 3 pt accuracy, but his grit on defense and his willingness to set others up while still getting to the line were impressive. Also, he has shown a level of grit and toughness that every team, especially the Jazz need. LM, WK aren't going to be the tough guys, they have other assets, but Dunn has shown that he can do that. I thought he was a terrific addition to the team and still think he can add a ton to help further the rebuild. Probably not worthy of extended starters role, but a quality backup at a relatively cheap price.

Return to Utah Jazz