Collin Sexton

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

landoc88
Ballboy
And1: 16

Collin Sexton 

Post#1 » by landoc88 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Just curious on what the Jazz plans are for him? He's only 24 and on a reasonably deal. Would he be attainable in a trade? I'm a Bucks fan but I've been a fan of his since his Alabama days. Also the Jazz had a heck of a season and are loaded for a run out west. Best of luck peeps.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Probably for an overpay! The org and fans like him. Also, what would the Bucks send back because that may add to cost.
Ingles is cooked.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 438

Post#3 » by bkohler » Tue May 23, 2023 5:37 pm

AingesBurner wrote:Probably for an overpay! The org and fans like him. Also, what would the Bucks send back because that may add to cost.

I wonder what an overpay would be at this point. Personally, I think he's fine. I don't think there's a ton of upside left, and Danny will most likely move him at some point in the future. I'd be looking for an FRP or two, depending on the protections.

Just thinking about it, I think I'd move him for any pick in this draft that is better than our 16 but anything after that and I'd need additional assets.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 23, 2023 7:10 pm

bkohler wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:Probably for an overpay! The org and fans like him. Also, what would the Bucks send back because that may add to cost.

I wonder what an overpay would be at this point. Personally, I think he's fine. I don't think there's a ton of upside left, and Danny will most likely move him at some point in the future. I'd be looking for an FRP or two, depending on the protections.

Just thinking about it, I think I'd move him for any pick in this draft that is better than our 16 but anything after that and I'd need additional assets.

Agreed. Bucks could only trade Connaughton and Allen, I probably want 2 firsts.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#5 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue May 23, 2023 7:24 pm

With all of the picks the Jazz have, I doubt that they would trade Sexton for another. I could see him, however, used in a trade with a starish player in the future, or just riding out his contract as a 6th man.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#6 » by bkohler » Tue May 23, 2023 10:24 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:With all of the picks the Jazz have, I doubt that they would trade Sexton for another. I could see him, however, used in a trade with a starish player in the future, or just riding out his contract as a 6th man.

That’s probably the likeliest scenario, but if the value is right I could see the Jazz using Sexton to move up and grab an additional player they really liked or to get back into the 2024 draft assuming we send our pick to OKC.

In short order we’ve gone from having a lot of tradable salary and contracts to basically nothing. I could see the argument for moving Sexton and KO and signing a few more value contracts this summer that could be used in trades moving forward.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#7 » by Jammer » Fri May 26, 2023 5:28 pm

Sexton’s value without salary coming back is a #8 pick. If you don’t have a #8 then it’s two 1rst’s with Both Below #20.

If you are sending back a player the Jazz have no interest in, than it is higher. If you send someone that the Jazz actually want, it might be less.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri May 26, 2023 5:44 pm

I like him. I wasn't a fan of his when he was with the Cavs but he won me over during his season with the Jazz. I'm curious to see what he can do as a starter and if he can continue to change his game to be more of a facilitator. As for his value, the thing is that the Jazz don't really need another first round pick in the 20s or even in the teens, so the offer would have to be either a lottery pick or another young player with upside, otherwise it would not make sense for the Jazz. The other scenario is that the Jazz start consolidating assets and package him with some picks and maybe other players to get a star player.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I like him. I wasn't a fan of his when he was with the Cavs but he won me over during his season with the Jazz. I'm curious to see what he can do as a starter and if he can continue to change his game to be more of a facilitator. As for his value, the thing is that the Jazz don't really need another first round pick in the 20s or even in the teens, so the offer would have to be either a lottery pick or another young player with upside, otherwise it would not make sense for the Jazz. The other scenario is that the Jazz start consolidating assets and package him with some picks and maybe other players to get a star player.

Spot on.
Ingles is cooked.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#10 » by mg » Fri May 26, 2023 7:15 pm

I like him alot despite the injuries the past 2 seasons. Both the Cavs and Jazz have liked his work ethic and positive vibes in the lockerroom. He's been working hard to improve his overall game. He's also a great fit on a small/mid market team as he's just going to spend every waking minute in the gym.

With that said there are a ton of small guards who could be available on both the trade and FA market this offseason. Most of them are way overpaid though. For instance I wouldn't touch the Poole contract and the same might even go for Simons and Rozier too. Jazz got Sexton on a 6th man type contract due to him coming off injury when he hit FA last year. I agree with the others that Ainge could eventually package him (or even Agbaji) and picks in a deal for a star package similar to what the Cavs did. Otherwise I think they would be happy to just keep him.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 419

Post#11 » by TNJazz » Fri May 26, 2023 8:58 pm

How can you not like a guy who paws the floor like a bull getting ready to charge against the reigning MVP? His energy, quickness, willingness ton mix it up inside and get to the line all make him a valuable asset. As stated, he has a terrific licker room presence and is a vocal leader. He seems to have a competitive toughness this team needs and he has worked to approve in the areas he needs to improve. This is a case of the bid in the hand and we know what we have rather than simply using him in a trade package. His injuries are the biggest concern, let's hope he will devote this off season to preparing for the grind rather than rehabbing. Probably will make a huge difference!
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#12 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Nov 3, 2023 6:36 pm

landoc88 wrote:Just curious on what the Jazz plans are for him? He's only 24 and on a reasonably deal. Would he be attainable in a trade? I'm a Bucks fan but I've been a fan of his since his Alabama days. Also the Jazz had a heck of a season and are loaded for a run out west. Best of luck peeps.

He has zero feel for the game. He just takes his tunnel vision and ball with him and ends up charging to the basket, no matter how crowded it is.

He would be very attainable. Yet to show signs he could be a starter. What do you offer for him?
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:02 pm

Sexton is on a good roll so I thought I'd bump this thread.

As a starter (8 games), he's averaging 22.9PTS, 4.6AST and 1STL with 1.8TO in 31.3MPG, while shooting 50%FG, 38.5%3PT on 5 attempts, and 89.4%FT on 6 attempts.

Those are very good numbers, hopefully he can keep it up and Hardy shouldn't move him to the bench as long as he's producing.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#14 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:42 pm

I'm really liking his aggressive play.......
bkohler
Rookie

Post#15 » by bkohler » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:51 pm

I still feel like he’s the perfect sixth man. His energy and scoring is great, but he lacks any substantial creation ability for others and his size leaves him as a defensive liability. I think that lowers his ceiling to something like a fifth starter/ sixth man on a good team.

He’d thrive on a team with a quality primary creator who’s oversized so he could guard ones, nail catch and shoot triples and roast second units. Him in the Kyrie roll in DAL would make sense.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#16 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:30 pm

Sexton dropped 30 points on the Pacers last night in just 24 minutes of action. On a per 36 minute basis, Sexton's stats as starter this season (19 games) project out to be among the best in the league: 29.2 ppg on 52.2/41.5/90.8 shooting with 6.4 ast, 2.2 tovs and 3.4 rebs.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?PerMode=Per36&StarterBench=Starters&DateFrom=10%2F01%2F2023&DateTo=01%2F16%2F2024
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#17 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:41 pm

In the last 20 games Sexton is averaging 21.8 points in 27 minutes.

In the last 6 games, Sexton is averaging 23.3 points in 23 minutes.

I'd like to see the Jazz give him a stretch of games where they play him 48 minutes just to see if he could average 48 points per game. :)

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#18 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 pm

I have been increasingly impressed with Sexton. He has become so much better at driving and dishing out assists. His paint moves are super impressive. He is so fast on the fast break. You can see that the work that he put in over the summer is becoming part of his game every night. He is like the energizer bunny, going 110% all of the time.

I am regularly mentioned him as a potential trade piece, but I am having second thoughts now. Perhaps he and Markk are the top 50 players that we build around.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#19 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:45 pm

His contract is looking pretty good now, doesn't it?

KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 951

Post#20 » by KnicksManiac » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:56 pm

I maintain that Sexton would be the best fit for the Knicks out of all of the rumored players being discussed. His recent play affirms how I’ve always felt about him as a player. He’s an absolute bulldog and I feel like the MSG crowd would love him. He’d be the perfect fit to fill the backup combo guard void left by Quickley.

I think Jazz fans were undervaluing him as recently as a month ago and I think Ainge is probably going to hold onto him at this point. If he’s available, I’d offer something like this:

Knicks Trade: Fournier, Sims, Arcidiacono, Knicks or Mavs 2024 First Round Pick plus the Jazz choice of any future protected first round pick (Wizards, Pistons, or Bucks)

Jazz Trade: Sexton and Olynyk

Brunson (35) / Sexton (13)
Donte (23) / Sexton (13) / Grimes (12)
OG (33) / Grimes (8) / Hart (7)
Randle (35) / Hart (13)
Hartenstein (33) / Olynyk (15)

I feel like that’s a really solid rotation with McBride waiting in the wings and Mitch getting return towards the end of the season.

Return to Utah Jazz