Early Recommendations for the Jazz Starting Lineup

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,733

Early Recommendations for the Jazz Starting Lineup 

Post#1 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:38 pm

My preferred lineup very likely won't happen, because we don't have a long term investment in Dunn, and the coaches didn't want to start him last season, but nonetheless, I would like to see a starting lineup of:

Kessler, Collins, Markkanen, Clarkson and Dunn.

I think the above lineup can score enough points to win, while Dunn can bring some defense to the backcourt.

All bets are off if Dunn goes back to bricking threes and nobody bothers to guard him at the three point line. Marc Gasol didn't really become a serious three point threat until he was 32 years old, so maybe Dunn is not defined by his low career 3p% forever.

I am excited about George's potential to start in the future, but he probably needs more development time. Sexton and/or THT could come on real strong in camp too; we will see what happens.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,539

Re: Early Wishes for the Jazz Starting Lineup 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:20 pm

The issue I have with the Jazz is that there are not a lot of shot creators in the starting lineup because Kessler, Collins and even Markkanen to an extent aren't really playmakers and shot creators and are more finishers than anything else. This is why Olynyk, with all his flaws, is important.

Ideally, Clarkson will be a 6th man but again, shot creation would be an issue, so I'm forced to go with:

Sexton
Clarkson
Markkanen
Collins
Kessler
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,982

Re: Early Recommendations for the Jazz Starting Lineup 

Post#3 » by Jammer » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:53 pm

Starter - Backup - Reserve

This is my opinion based on talent, not politics.

C: Walker Kessler - Kelly Olynyk - Micah Potter (2-Way)

PF: John Collins - Taylor Hendricks - Luka Samanic - Joey Hauser (2-Way)

SF: Lauri Markkanen - Brice Sensabaugh - Simone Fontecchio

SG: Jordan Clarkson - Keyonte George - Ochai Agbaji - Talen Horton-Tucker

PG: Keyonte George - Kris Dunn - Collin Sexton (Obviously he's gonna start but he shouldn't)

Possible Trade:

If Heat send Duncan Robinson + 2028 Unprotected 1rst +2030 Unprotected 1rst to Portland for Damian Lillard
Utah could send Portland Collin Sexton + Talen-Horton Tucker + Minnesota 2025 1rst + Utah 2027 1rst for Tyler Herro

That gets Portland Four 1rst Round Picks (Miami 2028, Miami 2030, Minnesota 2025, Utah 2027)
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:00 pm

Jammer wrote:Utah could send Portland Collin Sexton + Talen-Horton Tucker + Minnesota 2025 1rst + Utah 2027 1rst for Tyler Herro

That feels like a big overpayment for Herro. Don't think we even need him with Clarkson and Agbaji at his position.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,769

Post#5 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:24 am

Jammer wrote:Starter - Backup - Reserve

PG: Keyonte George - Kris Dunn - Collin Sexton (Obviously he's gonna start but he shouldn't)

Possible Trade:

If Heat send Duncan Robinson + 2028 Unprotected 1rst +2030 Unprotected 1rst to Portland for Damian Lillard
Utah could send Portland Collin Sexton + Talen-Horton Tucker + Minnesota 2025 1rst + Utah 2027 1rst for Tyler Herro

That gets Portland Four 1rst Round Picks (Miami 2028, Miami 2030, Minnesota 2025, Utah 2027)

That would end my Utah fandom.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:25 am

Keyonte could very well be the starting PG if his SL play translate to RS.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 557

Post#7 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:03 pm

Walker
Rookie Taylor.
Lauri.
Ochai,
Sexton.
Our bench is going to rock.
Kelly
Collins
Brice Fontecchio.
Jordan Horton
Keyonte. Dunn
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 784

Post#8 » by dr0welf » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:24 pm

Possible Trade:

I think 1 frp is going to be the max for Herro. We have no desire to overpay so Miami can get Lillard
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,372

Post#9 » by Catchall » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:15 am

I'd rather give minutes to Keyonte than trade for Tyler Herro. Personally, I think Keyonte is going to be the better player and it's going to be apparent while Keyonte is still on his rookie deal. Keyonte looks to be a more natural lead guard, and I think he's going to be a better shooter off the bounce.

Also, the Jazz like positional size, length and athleticism, which leads me to believe the Jazz would be just as happy to play Ochai Agbaji at the 2, rather than play Herro there.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Sparky6string
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#10 » by Sparky6string » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:40 pm

AingesBurner wrote:

Possible Trade:

Really?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#11 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:52 am

Sparky6string wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

Possible Trade:

Really?

Yes, garbage trade.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,034

Post#12 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:52 am

I think at least one of the guards has to put up some resistance on D. So, i think Sexton and Agbaji start and Dunn plays with Clarkson as backups. THT might also play with them as a 3 guard lineup. The rookies won’t start the season and might not start at all this year.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#13 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:12 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I think at least one of the guards has to put up some resistance on D. So, i think Sexton and Agbaji start and Dunn plays with Clarkson as backups. THT might also play with them as a 3 guard lineup. The rookies won’t start the season and might not start at all this year.

I hadn't thought about Sexton and Agbaji starting in the backcourt. I assumed Clarkson earned the starting role last season and wouldn't be going back to the sixth man role. I am open to Sexton and Agbaji starting. Both combos bring some defense and offense to the backcourt. Imo, we would probably get more assists out of the Dunn/Clarkson combo; maybe get better D out of the Sexton/Ochai combo.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#14 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:22 pm

I was a bit disappointed that Ochai didn't show better in Las Vegas --- only 41.9/31.6% shooting, but it's just a tiny two game sample. Numerous reports said Ochai arrived for Summer League in tremendous physical condition. Ochai works hard and will likely continue to get better.
Jazzy13
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#15 » by Jazzy13 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:10 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:I was a bit disappointed that Ochai didn't show better in Las Vegas --- only 41.9/31.6% shooting, but it's just a tiny two game sample. Numerous reports said Ochai arrived for Summer League in tremendous physical condition. Ochai works hard and will likely continue to get better.

Ochai is very athletic but I just dont think he's very skilled.
I hope Im wrong but I dont see him as a starter for this team.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:15 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:I was a bit disappointed that Ochai didn't show better in Las Vegas --- only 41.9/31.6% shooting, but it's just a tiny two game sample. Numerous reports said Ochai arrived for Summer League in tremendous physical condition. Ochai works hard and will likely continue to get better.

Ochai is very athletic but I just dont think he's very skilled.
I hope Im wrong but I dont see him as a starter for this team.

He doesn't need to do much other that play good defense and hit open threes. I don't think anyone expects him to be a lead guard or a self-creator. Basically, his development arc is that of a 3 and D player, and those players can be very valuable. But that means he'll need to be paired with either a dynamic PG or SF, preferably both.

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#17 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:50 am

My expectations for Ochai is to be a servicable 3 & D. A better Royce O'Neal if we are lucky, but a role player off the bench is what his ceiling is IMO.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 557

Post#18 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:39 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I think at least one of the guards has to put up some resistance on D. So, i think Sexton and Agbaji start and Dunn plays with Clarkson as backups. THT might also play with them as a 3 guard lineup. The rookies won’t start the season and might not start at all this year.

I hadn't thought about Sexton and Agbaji starting in the backcourt. I assumed Clarkson earned the starting role last season and wouldn't be going back to the sixth man role. I am open to Sexton and Agbaji starting. Both combos bring some defense and offense to the backcourt. Imo, we would probably get more assists out of the Dunn/Clarkson combo; maybe get better D out of the Sexton/Ochai combo.

I see the jazz running more point Forward with Markk and Sex Ochai playing off the ball where they're at there best. Kind of like Nuggets.
mark53
Junior
And1: 59

Post#19 » by mark53 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:59 pm

I think you have to try Sexton to begin. I don't know why give the four years of not.

So
Sexton
Ochai
Mark
Collins
Kessler
Jazzy13
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#20 » by Jazzy13 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 pm

Its almost certain we're starting