Raptors Fan Question: Is Sexton part of the future?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 4,081

Raptors Fan Question: Is Sexton part of the future? 

Post#1 » by Cassius » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:50 pm

Hey folks,

Can you guys educate me on where Collin Sexton fits into your teams' future? I know he's not a distributor and rates as a bad defender, but he just went 50/40/80 in his first season back from knee surgery. The Raptors have plenty of defenders but very little shooting. I have been thinking about potential trades, but have no idea how the team values him as it appears Conley/Clarkson will run point or start together, and Kris Dunn was signed as well.

Even if we sent you OG for Collin and some of the juicy Minnesota picks to pair him with Agbaji, Ochai is way more fluid than OG already and is on a rookie deal, while OG can walk (though I'm sure Klutch would have him stick around for a max).

Please, educate me and/or suggest what the Raptors would need to send back to make it worthwhile.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,641

Re: Raptors Fan Question: Is Sexton part of the future? 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:17 pm

Sexton showed he could shoot but you wouldn't trade for him for his shooting but for his ability to get to the rim. Most Jazz fans see him as a 6th man, while personally I think he could be a starter but in all fairness, he hasn't looked good in pre-season and maybe played himself out of a starting role, at least to open the season.

I don't think he's a bad defender, I actually think he's pretty good, he's just small and sometimes makes some mistakes, but the effort and willingness to defend are definitely there.

I think OG has more value than Sexton, especially in today's NBA. I think OG would be a great fit with the Jazz but I don't see the Jazz paying the price the Raptors wanted for him, which was very high last season, and the issue is that he's going to want a huge contract and I don't know if the Jazz would be willing to pay it. In terms of contracts, a package around OG for Sexton makes the most sense because I'm not sure the Raptors have many players the Jazz would want who are also realistic (Siakam, Barnes, Dick). If you're open to trading OG, I think the Raptors could probably find a better deal than a Sexton-centric package.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#3 » by Cassius » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:59 am

With Scottie Barnes and Pascal handling the ball so much, it only makes sense to me that the Raptors target combo guards who can shoot in the Jason Terry/Cat Mobley mold and then recoup the value difference in excess picks from a team that has them. There are probably better players available for OG, but the odds of the other players having a jumper are slim to none. Anfernee Simons is another skill/picks fit. Straight up for Tyler Herro would be very interesting for both teams.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,641

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:37 am

Cassius wrote:With Scottie Barnes and Pascal handling the ball so much, it only makes sense to me that the Raptors target combo guards who can shoot in the Jason Terry/Cat Mobley mold and then recoup the value difference in excess picks from a team that has them. There are probably better players available for OG, but the odds of the other players having a jumper are slim to none. Anfernee Simons is another skill/picks fit. Straight up for Tyler Herro would be very interesting for both teams.

Sexton is hitting 3s at good percentages but that's not his game (Mobley, Terry, etc.). He is primarily a slasher.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#5 » by Cassius » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:59 pm

I didn’t get to see him last year, but I did like his ability to drive. I’ll have to tune in and see if he needs a screen to penetrate, because other than Schroeder we have nobody who can break you down off the dribble
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 15,398

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:23 pm

I agree with most of what Inogo said, but I also think that Sexton is a HORRID defender. His decisionmaking on that end is really poor so he is frequently out of position, and he is really small. Does he give great effort? ABSOLUTELY. No one can ever criticize him for not trying.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz