Is it time to try Brewer at the backup PG?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

trueblue8to5
Sophomore
And1: 0

Is it time to try Brewer at the backup PG? 

Post#1 » by trueblue8to5 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:25 am

As the development of Miles, and the addition of Korver clog our SG/SF rotation, is it time to atleast consider this?

Brewer has played plenty of point guard before, and I am sure he has a decent feel for the offense.

The biggest upside is his defense, while Hart holds his weight there, Brewer's size will definitely benefit the Jazz defensively.

Brewer seems to have all the tools to play point guard, the problem lies with the coaching staff having a strange superstition to play a "true" PG at all times, and not a combo guard, who has the potentially to be more effective?

Brewer, Miles, and Korver all get decent minutes on the floor. The question is, will the Jazz consider it?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#2 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:29 am

no, it's not time.
trueblue8to5
Sophomore

Post#3 » by trueblue8to5 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:31 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:no, it's not time.

So there is no possibility? The guy is certainly capable, and he's definitely earned the minutes. It will reward the guys who have been playing well, but their minutes have been cut due to the addition of Korver.
i12rocks
Ballboy

Post#4 » by i12rocks » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:07 am

Honestly if they are going to try something along those lines (they wont, because Sloan will not think outside the box) CJ is the one who looks the most ready for that kind of experiment. He is the better ball handler of the 2 seems to get the better of the drive and kick.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#5 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:45 am

If anyone is going to be the out of position PG it's Andrei, might as well do the triangle if that is the case.
Kayariel
Senior
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Kayariel » Tue Jan 1, 2008 1:03 pm

i think the same on c.j. miles
i think he can control the flow of the game better than hart.

30 mai @ pinkpop
12 august @ sziget fest
HolyToledo
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#7 » by HolyToledo » Tue Jan 1, 2008 3:53 pm

I hate Hart's game as much as the next game, but i thought he plyed well last night and gave the Jazz some defensive energy off the bench.

As long as Sloan limits him to the back up PG position minutes Im ok with him, but he should never play him alongside Williams which I saw a few times this year. He has enough Sgs to pick from to never play Hart at SG.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,102

Post#8 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:14 pm

It seemed like Okur was the casualty from the addition of Korver.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach
And1: 16

Post#9 » by ColdBlue » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:15 pm

As much as I like Brew, he might only be a last resort at PG... similar to AK.

What I would like to see Brew do is a little more dribble drive, but that is the anti-Sloan.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#10 » by CAE15 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:30 pm

The sloan hate is getting annoying, he played out of the rotation last night, and he's here so just accept it and like it. He will never be fired, he has earned the right to retire when he's damn good and ready.

Brewer or CJ at the point isn't a bad idea and hopefully we wont see Hart playing alongside Deron again now that we have Korver, it seems sloan we'll play him late in games which is great. Just go with who's hitting. Just give Kyle and Cj and brewer some time and see who is playing well that night, just make sure they all get some minutes and go from there. Sure I dont agree with a lot of what sloan does nor do I with Fisher and the Titans but I accept it and live with it. Because I know that the coach gives us the best chance to win.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#11 » by carrottop12 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:51 pm

CJ and Andrei are better options for back up PG, CJ's a better ball handler and AK has the Magic Johnson effect of seeing over people.

But I like Harts defense, it brings energy, I just wish he enver shot the ball.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Duiz » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:05 pm

Harts brings defense that I don't think we give him enough credit for. With CJ on the game at the same time, we can see the backups playing better, and specially much more consistency from Millsap now that CJ is dishing him down low.

But I totally don't mind the idea of power forwards. Andrei Kirilenko is an excellent one, but people that run under this system right now are LeBron James, and formerly T-Mac would do it. CJ could do it.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#13 » by The Sheik » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:00 am

Batronuj wrote:CJ and Andrei are better options for back up PG, CJ's a better ball handler and AK has the Magic Johnson effect of seeing over people.

But I like Harts defense, it brings energy, I just wish he enver shot the ball.

I agree and to add to that I would say that I could care less if he goes 1-4 everynight, all I care about is his D (which may I add nobody gave him any credit last night for helping spark our comeback), his assits and turnovers. He had 4/0..if we can get that from him everynight, with the intensity he gave, we should be good at backup PG.
trueblue8to5
Sophomore

Post#14 » by trueblue8to5 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:08 am

Funny thing is, I have no memory of even posting this thread??

Seems like it brought out everyone's best opinion of Jason Hart.....
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by ColdBlue » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:44 am

New Jazzy Nets wrote:The sloan hate is getting annoying, he played out of the rotation last night, and he's here so just accept it and like it.

Don't drag me into a Sloan debate with this type of abused & submissive train of thought. I doubt you even realize the subtle Freudian slippage.

BTW, your sig isn't gay this time, but I must say it's revolting on other levels. Funny that you pinned all the troubles on this team to Giri. Do you even know the dynamics of the team, or just wave banners?
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#16 » by CAE15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:04 am

ColdBlue wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Don't drag me into a Sloan debate with this type of abused & submissive train of thought. I doubt you even realize the subtle Freudian slippage.

BTW, your sig isn't gay this time, but I must say it's revolting on other levels. Funny that you pinned all the troubles on this team to Giri. Do you even know the dynamics of the team, or just wave banners?

wow, no matter what I put in my sig or avatar someone hates it and shows their hate for it. It's just some little stupid joke, Gira killed chemistry with this team, that I do believe and now that hes gone I believe we're a better team, so I made a sig, excuse me for not having one of the sigs that are made every so often. I like to do my own thing.
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by ColdBlue » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:12 am

New Jazzy Nets wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

wow, no matter what I put in my sig or avatar someone hates it and shows their hate for it. It's just some little stupid joke, Gira killed chemistry with this team, that I do believe and now that hes gone I believe we're a better team, so I made a sig, excuse me for not having one of the sigs that are made every so often. I like to do my own thing.

I think the Korver trade for Giri is a good trade... no doubt about it. But, I disagree that Giri killed chemistry. I thought Giri was an important asset that contributed to our bench's success last season. Same with Harp and Fish. I thought they had good chemistry.

Your sig sucks because it's a typical finger pointing bandwaggoneer type of lameness that misses the truth of the situation in favor of banner waving nonsense like a 4th of July parade... but hey I guess that is who you are.

Return to Utah Jazz