Harpring's future with the Jazz..

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sendai91
Rookie
And1: 14

Harpring's future with the Jazz.. 

Post#1 » by sendai91 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:51 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Harpring has two more years on his contract after this one. What are the chances that the Jazz f.o. are thinking about him as an assistant coach to Sloan in 09-10, with a possibility of him taking over the job shortly thereafter? He seems to have the undying respect and admiration of Larry Miller, seems to like it here in Utah, and fits the prototypical coach mold - high basketball IQ, gritty / determined, etc. It's obvious that his knees won't hold out much longer and he won't or shouldn't be playing after another year or two, but I could see this happening unless he and his family are in a hurry to move back to Atlanta, where I could see him coaching Georgia Tech in a few years.

Am I way off base on this?
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#2 » by CAE15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:53 pm

I think Harprings days are going to be numbered in the NBA in general, wouldn't shock me to see him retire soon, maybe once sloan hangs it up or possibly even sooner.
gonnadunkonU
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#3 » by gonnadunkonU » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:18 pm

I highly doubt Harpring will be able to play through the end of his contract. After he's done playing, I could see him as an assitant or player development coach somewhere, i don't know if it would be with the Jazz though.
hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Post#4 » by hoops4life » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:39 pm

Especially with Korver coming, I think that Harpring's days are now numbered.
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:39 pm

I'd love to have him as a coach here. The way he faces (and plays) the game is the attitude one needs in a team. Unfortunately his health is limiting his play, and it doesn't seem to get better, but the hustle and energy he ALWAYS brings to the team are invaluable. We could use a couple of more players with that mindset right now. As a coach I think he could keep that attitude and really push our guys (young guys) to work harder and harder both in games and practice. IMO he'd make a good adition to our coaching staff.
Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#6 » by CAE15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:43 pm

Horny, Harp, Stock, Corbin all on the bench. not sure who should run things, hmm. Obviously this wouldn't be a very good idea, but one or two of them wouldn't hurt.
soapblaster
Starter
And1: 1

Post#7 » by soapblaster » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:32 pm

Jazzfan Bayamon wrote:I'd love to have him as a coach here. The way he faces (and plays) the game is the attitude one needs in a team. Unfortunately his health is limiting his play, and it doesn't seem to get better, but the hustle and energy he ALWAYS brings to the team are invaluable. We could use a couple of more players with that mindset right now. As a coach I think he could keep that attitude and really push our guys (young guys) to work harder and harder both in games and practice. IMO he'd make a good adition to our coaching staff.
Having Harpring and Sloan on the same bench would dramatically increase the number of players considering suicide at any given time. If some of the players have problems with how tough-nosed Sloan is, imagine what would happen if Harpring was breathing down their necks too.
Bat wrote:Utah is one of the most depressing cities.
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran

Post#8 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:43 pm

soapblaster wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Having Harpring and Sloan on the same bench would dramatically increase the number of players considering suicide at any given time. If some of the players have problems with how tough-nosed Sloan is, imagine what would happen if Harpring was breathing down their necks too.

lol

or maybe we'd actually have a team with freakin BALLS for a change, and not the bunch of pussies that frequent the Jazz uni. these days.

Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
LjJazzman
General Manager

Re: Harpring's future with the Jazz.. 

Post#9 » by LjJazzman » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:20 pm

sendai91 wrote:
Am I way off base on this?

Yes

I highly highly doubt either side as talked, less thought about this. Plus Matt doesnt seem at all the coaching type.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:36 pm

I think he'd make a good assistant, but I don't see it happening with the Jazz. Maybe Atlanta, or one of the Florida teams.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
The Sheik
General Manager

Re: Harpring's future with the Jazz.. 

Post#11 » by The Sheik » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:43 pm

LjJazzman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes

I highly highly doubt either side as talked, less thought about this. Plus Matt doesnt seem at all the coaching type.

Yeah Harpring isnt vocal enough at all. Beyond this I dont see him staying in Utah, he will finish his contract and probably call it quits and move back to Georgia.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#12 » by carrottop12 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah, he has a house in Florida, Utah and Georgia. I can't imagine Utah is his favorite place to live of the three.

He could come in and be an assistant like Horny is doing now, however he doesn't really have much to teach other then how to throw elbows.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:46 pm

Batronuj wrote:Yeah, he has a house in Florida, Utah and Georgia. I can't imagine Utah is his favorite place to live of the three.

He could come in and be an assistant like Horny is doing now, however he doesn't really have much to teach other then how to throw elbows.

And play football.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz