Korver>Harpring

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Jazzercise
Ballboy
And1: 0

Korver>Harpring 

Post#1 » by Jazzercise » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:41 pm

I am beginning to wonder why Korver isn't getting any of Harpring's minutes? We seem to have a serious log jam at the two with C.J. showing some skill. I think we need some pop with the second unit and am wondering why Korver isn't getting any of Harps minutes. He seems to have the size to guard either to the two or three depending on who it is at any given night. We should be experimenting with some line ups like

Deron
Brew
Korver
AK
Booz

or

Hart
Miles
Korver (can mix the two of miles and korver)
Sap
Fes (yes, He should be taking ALL of Collins' minutes)

What do you guys think?
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran

Post#2 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:54 pm

I've thought of that, and IMO, that's what should happen eventually, but the fact is Harp is the ONLY Jazz player to consistently give his 150% out there, and many times that is contagious with guys like Millsap and even CJ that come off the bench. That's why I still have problem thinking about taking Matt out of the rotation completly. If our whole team would face the game as Harpring does, we'd be a top team (in a top spot) for sure. However, his health is an issue, and unfortunately keeps getting worse. So a reduction in minutes (that already has happened) is foreseeable, and is what I think will come to, but right now, with this team in dire need of veteran leadership, we can't take our only "legit" vet out of our rotation completly.
Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#3 » by CAE15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:00 pm

Harp makes his defender hate life, besides maybe Artest Harp abuses in the post and fights and fights, other then boozer hes our best low post threat IMHO. Plus that curl is usually money, CJ playing at the 1 is a better idea IMHO.
Jazzercise
Ballboy

Some Agreeance 

Post#4 » by Jazzercise » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:03 pm

I agree with you to a point. I think a strong veteran presence is important to stability and consistency. But I just can't help but notice the STEADY decline in Harp's skills and defense. Basically it seams as though we could put a cardboard cut out of prince out there and he could play d just as well as harp. I just think we should be looking at some different line-ups for more efficient scoring. Thats all.
soapblaster
Starter
And1: 1

Post#5 » by soapblaster » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:30 pm

It all depends on matchups. If we are playing someone with a physical, back-to-the-basket type of small forward, Harpring or Milsap are our best options. AK is the best option to guarding the athletic 3's, if he isn't needed to guard someone else.

Dispite Matt's struggles lately, it is impossible to take him out of the rotation completely. I would be all for using Korver at the 2-3 the same way that we use Milsap as a 3-4.
Bat wrote:Utah is one of the most depressing cities.
BiggMann
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#6 » by BiggMann » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:23 pm

I think Ideally we'd all like to start seeing less and less of Harpring, but he's a tough player who is out there giving it his all. He's doing everything right and making very few mistakes (like previous years). I dont see any scenario that Harpring does not finish out the final two years of his deal. He's a Jerry Sloan type of player, the owner loves him and lets face it he's really not playing all that bad considering his production and previous years of missed layups and bad descisions.

eventually we'll have Harpring out of there with Korver, Miles, Almond and Brewer all rotating that 2-3 postion.
Bye Bye Sloan, Good Riddance Deron. Hello new Era in Jazz Basketball.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#7 » by CAE15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:34 pm

Almond wont see more then 50 minutes on the floor this year. IMHO
BiggMann
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#8 » by BiggMann » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:38 pm

New Jazzy Nets wrote:Almond wont see more then 50 minutes on the floor this year. IMHO

Why would he? I'm sure they'll bring him up to get some experience but, he's making strides in the DLeague and the longer he's down in the DLeague the harder he's going to work to get better.
Bye Bye Sloan, Good Riddance Deron. Hello new Era in Jazz Basketball.
Jazzercise
Ballboy

Almond 

Post#9 » by Jazzercise » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm wondering if Sloan isn't seeing something translating with Almond to the NBA at this point. The dude is flat out killing the D-League and in my mind deserves a shot right now. My honest opinion is that we seem to already have a log jam and open competition at the 2 spot and it is just convenient to leave Morris down there to save some head aches over minutes. Its just too bad if you ask me. Meanwhile we have an aging veteran that yes does play hard but doesn't give us that pop we need in the 2nd unit (Harp).
majortripps69
Senior
And1: 2

Re: Almond 

Post#10 » by majortripps69 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:46 am

Jazzercise wrote:I'm wondering if Sloan isn't seeing something translating with Almond to the NBA at this point. The dude is flat out killing the D-League and in my mind deserves a shot right now. My honest opinion is that we seem to already have a log jam and open competition at the 2 spot and it is just convenient to leave Morris down there to save some head aches over minutes. Its just too bad if you ask me. Meanwhile we have an aging veteran that yes does play hard but doesn't give us that pop we need in the 2nd unit (Harp).

Yes, he is killing the D-League.. That it's just that, the D-League. How many NBA (current) players are assigned there vs. players that suck and can't make a team period. I mean hell, Darvin Ham and Randy Livingston are stalwarts in the D. It's no wonder Almond is carving them up. Imagine if Boozer or Deron took a 10 game stint in the D-League, they would be 50+ a night easily.

Return to Utah Jazz