Your back up point and SG/SF logjam solution thread.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Back-up point solution?

Try CJ Miles as a back-up point.
20%
Try Ronnie Brewer as a back-up point.
13%
Give AK back up point minutes.
7%
Trade a player in the logjam for a back-up PG
20%
Stick with Jason Hart.
40%

Total votes: 15

trueblue8to5
Sophomore
And1: 0

Your back up point and SG/SF logjam solution thread. 

Post#1 » by trueblue8to5 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:33 pm

Since complaining about the back up point guard is all the rage here, what should be a viable solution considering both short-term and long term effects?

CJ Miles seems to have ball-handline, respectable outside shooting, and the talent to play back-up point, is he disciplined enough?

Brewer played the point in college, but has never handled the point guard system this complex.

AK played point guard briefly in the playoffs, and didn't do to bad of a job. Giving him back up point minutes opens up the SF spot a little.

A trade?

All four of these options potentially clears our 5 SG/SF logjam of Brewer, Miles, Korver, AK, and Harpring.

Or do we stay pat with Jason Hart? He has been providing more effective relief for Deron as of late, and is one of our better defenders.

What's your proposal?
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#2 » by CAE15 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:39 pm

I think trying CJ at the backup point is better, this way we have more of a reason to keep him after this year, plus having a 6'7ish point guard could really create problems for defenses, if we are planning on just letting CJ walk after this year then either keep with Hart or try Brewer at the Point.
trueblue8to5
Sophomore

Post#3 » by trueblue8to5 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:43 pm

New Jazzy Nets wrote:I think trying CJ at the backup point is better, this way we have more of a reason to keep him after this year, plus having a 6'7ish point guard could really create problems for defenses, if we are planning on just letting CJ walk after this year then either keep with Hart or try Brewer at the Point.

I would agree with you that CJ definitely is talented enough to run the point, the real question is his discipline. Of course with Sloan watching his every move, he could be one mistake away from a quick benching.
hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Post#4 » by hoops4life » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:12 pm

Can Cj handle the ball well enough to run the point?

I personally like Ronnie a little better at the point. He handled the ball a lot in college.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#5 » by idajazz » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:27 pm

None of the above.
I think a trade for a big is needed. We need size in the middle.

I would look to trade CJ.
HolyToledo
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#6 » by HolyToledo » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:59 pm

Trade Almond, Price, and Hart for Damon Stoudamire...risking trade for Jazz as giving up Almond but alread have Miles, Brewer, and Korver that play his position. Grizzlies do it in a second....Jazz not so sure.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#7 » by kebutah » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't think any of the players on our roster are the answer to back up the point. We should be using our position of strength in numbers to improve our weaknesses. (PG, C)
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Pai Gow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:48 pm

I just laugh at the posters who think AK, Brew and CJ could play back-up point gaurd, this isn't the freaking Warriors we play every night, IT WON'T WORK. Either hope for Hart to continue to grasp the offense (he's already our best perimeter defender next to Brewer) or make a trade for another point.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#9 » by CAE15 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:13 pm

AKsWill wrote:I just laugh at the posters who think AK, Brew and CJ could play back-up point gaurd, this isn't the freaking Warriors we play every night, IT WON'T WORK. Either hope for Hart to continue to grasp the offense (he's already our best perimeter defender next to Brewer) or make a trade for another point.

this isnt the nfl, we're not trying to throw a running back at QB, CJ or AK or Ronnie playing 8-10 minutes a night at backup point isnt going to hurt us. Hart really doesnt set many guys up with his few assists, unless the player faces pressure 24/7 theres nothing to really worry about for backup point, and if they pressure just get the ball ahead.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#10 » by hoops4life » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:15 pm

Brewer played back up point a lot in college. It isn't exactly new for him.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#11 » by hoops4life » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:16 pm

They will stick with what they are doing.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,271

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:28 pm

We just need to use players at more than one position. Almost everyone on our team can play 2 positions very well, and on our team the shooting gaurd and small forward positions are interchangeable. We just need to use our players talents wisely...Maybe something like this would work:

Williams 35/Hart 5/Price 5/AK 3 (when we use a big lineup)
Brewer 32/Korver 13/Miles 3
Kirilenko 19/Harpring 12/ Miles 12/ Korver 5
Boozer 20/ Millsap 18/Kirilenko 10
Okur 28/ Boozer 15/ Collins 5

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#13 » by idajazz » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:36 pm

I hate any potential breakdown that doesn't have Boozer and Williams playing at least 38 min per game.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,271

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:43 pm

35, 38, not much difference... If we have to take minutes away from the backups and/or Memo/Brewer to give Williams and Boozer more minutes if we need to it's fine with me, but in a typical game they don't need many minutes if they play well. Against teams like Boston and San Antonio I expect them to get more, but teams like Philidelphia and Indiana really aren't a threat, and so this rotation would be fine. When the playoffs come we don't want two gassed stars running the team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Neon Black
Starter
And1: 19

Post#15 » by Neon Black » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:44 pm

I voted for "stick with Hart", but what I really meant was give Ronnie Price more of a chance. He hasn't been consistent...then again, he hasn't had the minutes to become so, because Hart is a veteran and Sloan values his "experience" more than Price's potential.

But really, As crowded as we are at the two, I think it would be wise to hold on to the four players we have there until we know which one has the most upside and shows they can take the reigns. This could be Miles, Korver, Brewer or Almond.

I would hate to prematurely trade Almond just beacuase we have a "Logjam", just to see him develop and become a very skilled shooting guard elsewhere.

My realistic (or "Acceptable by Sloan") solution to this situation is to play Korver some more at the 3, sharing minutes with Harpring and eventually taking over as Matt's knees disintegrate.

My non-ABS solution is to do this now and give Korver alot of minutes at that position, keeping minutes intact by

1. Occasionally using Boozer as a center
2. Allowing Ak to play more of his preferred Pf
HouseofBoozer
Junior

Post#16 » by HouseofBoozer » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:27 am

You don't wanna trade Almond. The kid has upside. I think you leave it alone unless a golden situation is out there. Korver for a disgruntled Giricek for example. That was a pretty good opportunity. We're going to have to give up something good to get something good, and does it strike anyone else a little funny that we are talking about mighty mouse? I just don't think he is a Sloan guy and Sloan is running this team for as long as he wants at this point. That just comes off as a waste.

Return to Utah Jazz