Blow it up...

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

The Sheik
General Manager
And1: 0

Blow it up... 

Post#1 » by The Sheik » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Im not trying to sound like the fanatical fan that is freaking out over one lose, but just hear me out.

We all know from just a purely financial stand point we are going to have to drop a few of our core players in a couple yrs. Beyond that we know that this core has probably a 2-3 yr window. Honestly ask yourself do you think we can win a title with this roster in 2-3 yrs? Im sure most of you will say no(I tend to agree). So why are we wasting our time hoping that players turn it around (Memo, AK). I called for this in December, because I thought if we made an AI type move (messing with the core earlier in the season) we could build enough chemistry to still make the playoffs (not that were out of it by any means). I just think its dumb to keep our frontcourt as is because we cant ever win a title with Memo and Boozer in there together.

I dont know you guys chime in and tell me what you think about our roster and its future.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,430

Post#2 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:22 pm

I'd be willing to move Boozer. He's a terrific player, on one side of the floor.

I like Okur though. I think he has his limitations, but, I don't think he's a liability like some of you do.

It just depends on what you could get back. There aren't a whole lot of players in the league who you could move Boozer for and be certain taht you'd improve teh Jazz. (not ones that their respective teams would be willing to part with anyway.)
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
pink22
Ballboy

Post#3 » by pink22 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:28 pm

It's funny how the AK/Marion trade is always talked about when it should be Boozer/Marion. Put Marion at the 3 and AK at the 4 but they would be interchangeable really. Then we can run, run, run with Memo bringing up the rear for that spot up 3. If Marion leaves after this year, so be it. More cap room to sign the guys we need to keep and we grab another free agent that CAN play D.
HolyToledo
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#4 » by HolyToledo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:32 pm

I have always said Boozer and Okur cant co-exist, but if you trade one of them who are you getting back? Likely a talented player who would not want to play in Utah. At least, Boozer and Okur want to be here. It might be best to Bench Okur move AK-47 to PF and start Brewer at SF. Defense would improve but again Jerry Sloan is our head coach and he would still play Harpring and Collins lots of minutes killing our defense anyway.

First fire Sloan and hire Carlyse and then bench Okur and that maybe enough to have the Jazz make several runs at a championship.
HouseofBoozer
Junior

Post#5 » by HouseofBoozer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:09 pm

HolyToledo wrote:I have always said Boozer and Okur cant co-exist, but if you trade one of them who are you getting back? Likely a talented player who would not want to play in Utah. At least, Boozer and Okur want to be here. It might be best to Bench Okur move AK-47 to PF and start Brewer at SF. Defense would improve but again Jerry Sloan is our head coach and he would still play Harpring and Collins lots of minutes killing our defense anyway.

First fire Sloan and hire Carlyse and then bench Okur and that maybe enough to have the Jazz make several runs at a championship.

What is the deal with your man crush on Carlisle. He sucked in the EASTERN CONFERENCE!
HouseofBoozer
Junior

Post#6 » by HouseofBoozer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:12 pm

I think if you get rid of one core player, you look to trade Okur. I still think you hold on to this team how it is, but shake up the roster a bit. We'll see what happens.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#7 » by The Sheik » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:24 pm

pink22 wrote:It's funny how the AK/Marion trade is always talked about when it should be Boozer/Marion. Put Marion at the 3 and AK at the 4 but they would be interchangeable really. Then we can run, run, run with Memo bringing up the rear for that spot up 3. If Marion leaves after this year, so be it. More cap room to sign the guys we need to keep and we grab another free agent that CAN play D.

umm what happens to the pick n roll..you know...that one play that is 70% of our offense. Boozer fits in with the Jazz more then Memo does.

Memo needs to go.
JDubJazz
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#8 » by JDubJazz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm

I wonder what Phoenix would say to an Amare for Boozer deal? It would clear out the tension between Matrix and Amare, and the Jazz would get a PF/C who can still dominate offensively, but can actually block a shot or two as well. I'm not trying to say that Amare is a great defender (he's not), but at least players have to be aware of him swatting their shots, which is a defensive tool that Booz just doesn't possess. Come to think of it, does Booz possess ANY defensive tools?

For months we've speculated about AK to Phoenix for Marion, but I think it works out much better for both teams if they swap their PFs instead of their SFs.
--J-Dub--
JDubJazz
Analyst

Post#9 » by JDubJazz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:48 pm

If we are going to "blow it up" in this thread, then another deal I think we should look at would be Okur and Brewer for Bogut and filler. It seems to me like Bogut and Jerry would get along well, and Bogut has a mean streak that is terribly lacking from everyone on this team except Williams and Korver (that foul last night against Kleiza was probably the best play of the season).
--J-Dub--
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Pai Gow » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:28 pm

JDubJazz wrote:If we are going to "blow it up" in this thread, then another deal I think we should look at would be Okur and Brewer for Bogut and filler. It seems to me like Bogut and Jerry would get along well, and Bogut has a mean streak that is terribly lacking from everyone on this team except Williams and Korver (that foul last night against Kleiza was probably the best play of the season).

The Bucks would laugh.. Have you seen what Bogut has been able to do when he actually gets touches? He has been dominating in January..
Neon Black
Starter
And1: 19

Post#11 » by Neon Black » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:30 pm

On the radio they said that there was absolutely NO Jazz trade talk going on in Phoenix. They don't want a part of this.

If I had to trade a player that we could get something back for it would be Memo. Boozer is an asset because 20-10 guys don't grow on farms somewhere. He's shown that he actually can play defense, but 90% of the time he's too lazy to do so. He said himself that he's capable.

let's hope so.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,447

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm

HolyToledo wrote:I have always said Boozer and Okur cant co-exist, but if you trade one of them who are you getting back? Likely a talented player who would not want to play in Utah. At least, Boozer and Okur want to be here. It might be best to Bench Okur move AK-47 to PF and start Brewer at SF. Defense would improve but again Jerry Sloan is our head coach and he would still play Harpring and Collins lots of minutes killing our defense anyway.

While you're at it, have Carlisle add Mike Fratello as his assistant coach. That way, four times the control, four times less the freedom to play freely.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#13 » by Simulack » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:12 am

JDubJazz wrote:If we are going to "blow it up" in this thread, then another deal I think we should look at would be Okur and Brewer for Bogut and filler. .

Bucks fan here. I can't see us having any interest in that. Like the poster above said, Bogut's been a completely different player since the New Year. Redd and Mo have both missed games during that stretch - Bogut's got the ball more and put up some very impressive numbers. Looks like he the light finally went on and a trade is very unlikely.

How do things stand on the ol' Redd for AK47 front? I know me and some other Bucks fans were here talking about it this off-season.

Jazz have any interest in a deal like that at this point in time? Or does adding Redd and trading your best defender not make sense when offense isn't the problem?
Phenom415
Senior

Post#14 » by Phenom415 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:17 am

HouseofBoozer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What is the deal with your man crush on Carlisle. He sucked in the EASTERN CONFERENCE!

Uhb?! Several division championships, 60-win seasons, trips to the conference finals, and coach of the year trophies don't really = sucking in the east, brah. AAAAAAANYHOW, I don't think anything needs to be blown up. You don't 'BLOW UP' teams that reach the NBA's 'final four'.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#15 » by edfmx86 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:26 am

I am disgusted by anyone who said they were willing to trade Boozer. In my opinion, there are 4 other guys on the team who should be able to hide boozers poor defense. The man on offense IS ENERGY. :)
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#16 » by The Sheik » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:32 am

edfmx86 wrote:I am disgusted by anyone who said they were willing to trade Boozer. In my opinion, there are 4 other guys on the team who should be able to hide boozers poor defense. The man on offense IS ENERGY. :)

agreed.

I loved the win tonight, but I am still not sold on this team as a whole.
DaveMustaine
Junior
And1: 10

Post#17 » by DaveMustaine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:28 am

This is crazy, why in the world would anybody want to trade Boozer? It's Memo we need to get rid of, he is the laziest player I've ever seen be a regular starter in the NBA. As bad of a year as he is having, and combine that with his complete lack of effort on the court, and IMO you couldn't ship him off fast enough for the first solid deal.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#18 » by loserX » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:13 am

DaveMustaine wrote:This is crazy, why in the world would anybody want to trade Boozer? It's Memo we need to get rid of, he is the laziest player I've ever seen be a regular starter in the NBA.

Dear Deity, please do not let DaveMustaine trade for Mark Blount. Thank you ;)
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#19 » by Duiz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:56 am

I wouldn't mind Shawn Marion for AK and Brewer.
Phenom415
Senior

Post#20 » by Phenom415 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Duiz wrote:I wouldn't mind Shawn Marion for AK and Brewer.

I wouldn't either. See, this is what I'm talking about. You don't need to 'blow it up'. That's what aging teams and perennial losers do, and the Jazz are neither. You just need to find ways to upgrade at a spot or two. You need to find that Rasheed Wallace trade like the Pistons did in '04.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Return to Utah Jazz