Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Here we go . . . 

Post#1 » by Racer X » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:51 pm

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695245867,00.html

Harps Minutes to Increase

I cant help but feel this is going to be horrible news for our team. Harpring has been acceptable (which is hard for me to say) in the limited minutes he has played backing up AK. However, this means he will be taking minutes away from the AK/Brew/Korver group who in my opinion are more productive in their time, and are less of a liability against the John Salmons of the world continue to torch Harpring again and again and again.
GP
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#2 » by GP » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 pm

I couldn't agree more. O'connor believes that the jazz were hurt this year most by Harpring being out (according to the tribune). I respected KOC, but this comment alone make me wonder if he is really paying attention to the games he goes to. Harpring is the worst defensive player on the team, how would it help the defensively challenged Jazz, if we player Harpring MORE?
seejaydeja
Lead Assistant
And1: 53

Post#3 » by seejaydeja » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm

:banghead: great, now instead of having our young athletic guys like miles and brew out on the floor, we get to see even more of harp tripping around and getting dominated by every medicore sf in the league.

we need to just give harpring a severance check or something and send him home while he can still walk.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,430

Post#4 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 pm

I feel very comfortable with Harpring on the floor. There is a consistancy there that I like.

When he shoots, I feel it's going in.
When he plays defense, I feel he's making the other guy work hard and getting into his head.
When he fumbles a pass or dribbles a ball off his foot, I drink my shot of tequilla.

By the end of his 16 minutes, I don't care how bad he sucks anymore.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
pink22
Ballboy

Post#5 » by pink22 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:35 pm

But Harpring is the only, ONLY guy on the team that will hot the other guy in the mouth when needed. And in a weird way, hopes to get it right back. He is a Sloan player to the max, except he's probably better offensively than Sloan was. The problem with Miles is he is so soft on D that Sloan will never play him. KK has been better on D than advertised, but don't figure Harpring to get lost in the shuffle because he plays harder than anyone else. I like him for that reason alone. Oh, and the 15 foot curl he makes 8 out of 10 times.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 114

Post#6 » by Wolverine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Yeah sucks man, we didn't need his 17 pts today
HouseofBoozer
Junior

Post#7 » by HouseofBoozer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:22 pm

He's just a bruiser. It gives you someone to beat up again because AK can't. I liked the limited time he was playing though. He seemed more effective than before.
Boozer the Loozer.
Malone Strong
Banned User

Post#8 » by Malone Strong » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:13 am

Harpring has the green light. So I say if he puts of 3 shots and hits 2 of them, I would leave him in. If he misses all three, I would bench him and figure he's having the off night due to age, gimpyness, etc....

I do like his hustle tho....just little athleticism left in him...
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 992

Post#9 » by red4hf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:11 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I feel very comfortable with Harpring on the floor. There is a consistancy there that I like.

When he shoots, I feel it's going in.
When he plays defense, I feel he's making the other guy work hard and getting into his head.
When he fumbles a pass or dribbles a ball off his foot, I drink my shot of tequilla.

By the end of his 16 minutes, I don't care how bad he sucks anymore.

And how about when he falls down as his guy is driving around him for a dunk?

What do you think/do then?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

artistic liberties being taken. 

Post#10 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 pm

When the ball bounces off his hands, you shout out, 'Harpring Hands!' and drink a shot of Tequilla.

When he falls down on defense we shout out, 'Flat Matt!' and take a few moments for a complete shot with salt and lime.

When he hits the bottom of the rim with a layup attempt we shout out, 'he played football', and take a double shot.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Duiz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 pm

At the beginning of the year, I thought Harp was going to be the starting SG, so I don't mind him playing more minutes, unfortunately it might be to the expense of Kirilenko.
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach
And1: 16

Re: artistic liberties being taken. 

Post#12 » by ColdBlue » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:40 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:When the ball bounces off his hands, you shout out, 'Harpring Hands!' and drink a shot of Tequilla.

When he falls down on defense we shout out, 'Flat Matt!' and take a few moments for a complete shot with salt and lime.

When he hits the bottom of the rim with a layup attempt we shout out, 'he played football', and take a double shot.

Haha... I didn't know you had this in you.

My opinion on Harp is that he is still an effective offensive weapon, but for both teams.
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach
And1: 16

Post#13 » by ColdBlue » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:41 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:When the ball bounces off his hands, you shout out, 'Harpring Hands!' and drink a shot of Tequilla.

Haha... I didn't know you had this in you.

My opinion on Harp is that he is still an effective offensive weapon, but for both teams.
JDubJazz
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#14 » by JDubJazz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm

ColdBlue wrote: Haha... I didn't know you had this in you.

Well said. I couldn't agree more, Cold.

Increasing Harpring's minutes is a bad idea. At this point in his career, he is definitely a "less is more" player. He can come in for 5-7 minutes at a stretch and hit some jumper's before the other team adjusts and realizes that he is too slow to guard their ball boy. I defintiely cringe when I see him playing at the end of games, because I know his bricked layup is going to result in a fast break dunk on the other end.
--J-Dub--
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 992

Post#15 » by red4hf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 am

You must go through about two bottles of tequila every game.......

And if you're not drinking bad tequila, and I hope you're not, the costs must add up.......

What does Ms. Jazzfan have to say about this habit?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 am

LOL.

I'm actually past my tequilla days for the most part. But, it does sound kinda fun.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 660

Post#17 » by erudite23 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 am

Even with all his defensive failings, there is no doubt that Harp brings a toughness to this team that is badly lacking.

I've felt for almost a year now that we lack that nasty, mean, scrappy type of player whose attitude is contagious to the rest of the team. Harpring provides something close to that, and it makes a big difference.

Most of his mistakes are physical ones, meaning that he isn't having mental lapses, or making bad decisions, he just is quite skilled enough in some ways to avoid the occasion misdribble or bottom of the rim shot. But he is a vet who plays as hard and as tough as anyone in the league. 20 minutes I can live with, even with the horrible defense. Let's hope it doesn't get any higher than that.
BiggMann
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#18 » by BiggMann » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:38 pm

Harpring is giving us something we desperatly need... TOUGHNESS. Maggette completely took AK out of the game on Monday, by over powering him to the hole. But when Harps came in, that stopped. He's a valuable piece, and it's giving CJ a chance to watch what needs to be done when he comes in. And when CJ came in he got his hands on a few passes and got a few steals.... our problem isn't really a problem.. having too many good players is never a problem, it's up to Sloan who gets those minutes...he's got options, but he knows what Harps will bring but CJ, Korver, and Brew seem to be more inconsistent... so Jerry sticks to what he knows will work.
Bye Bye Sloan, Good Riddance Deron. Hello new Era in Jazz Basketball.
Raymond Felton
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by Raymond Felton » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:01 pm

i think the team needs his toughness. He's going to get into people's heads, scrap, and fight every possession. Those types of things can annoy people and make people not want to have him gaurding them. I don't think it is that bad a deal, Slaon just has to monitor his minutes accordingly.....
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#20 » by CAE15 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Harpring is our 2nd best post player for offense, sad but true. Sloan played ak at the 4 in the clippers game who knows maybe we see Millsap, AK, Harp, Korver, Hart wouldn't be a terrible lineup, but yeah doubt it. ah well.

Return to Utah Jazz