The problem with the Jazz with this season

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

dalekjazz
Sixth Man
And1: 2
Location: Karl Malone Quote: "Anybody not wearing a Utah Jazz jersey is the enemy."

The problem with the Jazz with this season 

Post#1 » by dalekjazz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:20 pm

This season Brewer exceeded my expectations and became a bonafide NBA starter and is among the league leader in steals. The Jazz have arguable the best starting five they have ever had with all five starters capable of scoring in double digits on any given night. On paper the Jazz have the talent to be an automatic for a playoff slot. Yet if the playoffs started today the Jazz would be on the outside looking in. What is the problem?

The problem is that despite their talent this Jazz team lacks unity and chemisty wise so far is the worst Jazz team ever. Everyone on the team is out for their agenda instead of what is best for the team. That is where the Jazz miss Derek Fisher and his leadership skills. He held the players together last year. This year without him there is no leadership among the players. Deron and Boozer are playing the two man offensive game and excluding other teammates. Deron expected to be a court leader has not shown any leadership skills. Brewer and CJ Miles are sulking about minutes. Kirilenko even though he is having a better season than last year is not putting up the big defensive numbers we expect and seems distracted at time. Okur seem to be going through the motions. Championship teams like the Spurs win championships because more important than talent everyone is on the same page and there is trust especially on the defensive end. The lack of chemistry on the Jazz shows itself on the defensive end where there is no trust among teammates. The body language is bad. Teammates do not help one another when one is knocked to the floor. Previous Jazz teams were successful not because of overwhelming talent but because of leadership, chemistry, and trust, which the current Jazz team lacks. Stockton was a great leader and I loved Malone's us against the world mentality.
seejaydeja
Lead Assistant
And1: 53

Post#2 » by seejaydeja » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:04 pm

I agree that it seems like some of our bigger players are driven by more individualistic means, but I really don't think it's because Fish left.

It was interesting hearing LHM on the radio a couple weeks ago discuss the difference between Deron and Stockton, and how Stockton's main focus was the team and to get a win for am despite his stats, and how Deron is so different in the fact that at the half of every game he is checking/disputing his stats. That is something you cannot have if you are going to be successfull and win rings. Until the Jazz realize this, we will be stuck in the same position we are now, forever.
HouseofBoozer
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by HouseofBoozer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:25 pm

seejaydeja wrote:I agree that it seems like some of our bigger players are driven by more individualistic means, but I really don't think it's because Fish left.

It was interesting hearing LHM on the radio a couple weeks ago discuss the difference between Deron and Stockton, and how Stockton's main focus was the team and to get a win for am despite his stats, and how Deron is so different in the fact that at the half of every game he is checking/disputing his stats. That is something you cannot have if you are going to be successfull and win rings. Until the Jazz realize this, we will be stuck in the same position we are now, forever.

Yeah I heard that interview with LHM. My thought though when he was saying that is they will eventually grow into it. This is still a really young team. They have time.

Return to Utah Jazz