Jerry Sloan and the Jazz are Sisyphus

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

dalekjazz
Sixth Man
And1: 2
Location: Karl Malone Quote: "Anybody not wearing a Utah Jazz jersey is the enemy."

Jerry Sloan and the Jazz are Sisyphus 

Post#1 » by dalekjazz » Sat May 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Sisyphus was a king in Greek mythology cursed throughout eternity to roll a huge boulder over a hill only to watch it roll down again. I have been a Jazz fan for over 20 years when Frank Layden was coach. The Jazz on the most part have always put out a competitive team which has come close but always had its hearts broken every year, never winning the championship along the way finding agonizing ways to lose in the playoffs. Its frustrating.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#2 » by carrottop12 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:16 am

Can't get the best players in the draft, can't win it all.

Look at the past champions and how they won it all.

Spurs: Won the #1 pick with Duncan, have won 4 rings in last 10 years.

Lakers: Had Shaq, #1 pick, won 3 championships in the last 10 years.

Miami: Had Shaq, the #1 pick and D-Wade the #5 pick.

Bulls: Had Jordan, the #3 pick.

Rockets: Had Hakeem, the #1 pick.

Lets just say if you aren't winning the lottery, or getting good players consistently in the lottery you aren't winning rings, and currently, the Jazz ain't winning any rings.

Deron is the #3 pick, and he's only 3 years into his career so that is promising, but having only 1 real lottery pick on your team is a tough situation.
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#3 » by eagles nut » Sun May 18, 2008 1:03 am

Slightly different with the Lakers though because Shaq wasn't their own draft pick. They signed him in free agency.

Utah doesn't have big market appeal(and big marketing opportunities) like L.A. does for prospective free agents though.

It's unfortunate for Jazz fans though because they're always going to be at a relative disadvantage for signing free agents and keeping they're own. It's a smaller market with a conservative population that may not prove attractive to primarily African-American NBA players.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#4 » by loserX » Sun May 18, 2008 3:52 am

I think Tantalus would be a better metaphor, but I like the mythological allusion ;)
Heir
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Heir » Sun May 18, 2008 4:51 am

Batronuj wrote:Can't get the best players in the draft, can't win it all.

Look at the past champions and how they won it all.

Spurs: Won the #1 pick with Duncan, have won 4 rings in last 10 years.

Lakers: Had Shaq, #1 pick, won 3 championships in the last 10 years.

Miami: Had Shaq, the #1 pick and D-Wade the #5 pick.

Bulls: Had Jordan, the #3 pick.

Rockets: Had Hakeem, the #1 pick.

Lets just say if you aren't winning the lottery, or getting good players consistently in the lottery you aren't winning rings, and currently, the Jazz ain't winning any rings.

Deron is the #3 pick, and he's only 3 years into his career so that is promising, but having only 1 real lottery pick on your team is a tough situation.

When did the Lakers have a #1 pick? The Hornets drafted Kobe and traded him to the Lakers for Divac, remember?
We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk, is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
LA Warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Re: Jerry Sloan and the Jazz are Sisyphus 

Post#6 » by LA Warrior » Sun May 18, 2008 8:49 am

dalekjazz wrote:Sisyphus was a king in Greek mythology

Aren't u guys Mormon? :wavefinger:
Greatest comment I've ever received.
Phil Jackson wrote:I've never really had a favorite poster but this guy might be it. The symbolism he uses is deep and ****.
GP
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by GP » Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 am

eagles nut wrote:Slightly different with the Lakers though because Shaq wasn't their own draft pick. They signed him in free agency.

Utah doesn't have big market appeal(and big marketing opportunities) like L.A. does for prospective free agents though.

It's unfortunate for Jazz fans though because they're always going to be at a relative disadvantage for signing free agents and keeping they're own. It's a smaller market with a conservative population that may not prove attractive to primarily African-American NBA players.

Very much agree with this point.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#8 » by Rerisen » Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 am

Only one team gets the boulder to the top of the mountain each year. There are many teams that push it up a lot less far than the Jazz.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#9 » by Reckless » Sun May 18, 2008 11:02 am

yeh some draft failures stand out to me

2004 we had two pretty high picks for the jazz at #14 and #16
neither player with us today..that is horrible

and you think back from 1999-2004 no current jazz members from those years..How many other teams can say that? None of the other contenders can say that.
Spurs got Parker & Manu those years with late picks
Suns got Stoudemire in the lottery
Lakers got Vujacic with a late pick
Hornets got West with a late pick
Pistons got Prince with a late pick
Cavs got Lebron in the lottery
Celtics got Jefferson who as you know they traded for KG

think about it we have nothing to show today while all these other contending teams do...we really hurt our future during these years

add to that the FA issue we have and you wonder how we can field a decent team.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#10 » by carrottop12 » Sun May 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Heir wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When did the Lakers have a #1 pick? The Hornets drafted Kobe and traded him to the Lakers for Divac, remember?

Tell me, did I ever say the Lakers made the #1 pick? All I said is they had a player who was the #1 pick in the draft, and that was Shaq. That is the only reason they won those rings.

You're the worst poster on Realgm.
JDubJazz
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#11 » by JDubJazz » Sun May 18, 2008 4:59 pm

LA Warrior wrote: Aren't u guys Mormon? :wavefinger:

Good grief! Get lost troll.
--J-Dub--
Heir
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Heir » Sun May 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Batronuj wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Tell me, did I ever say the Lakers made the #1 pick? All I said is they had a player who was the #1 pick in the draft, and that was Shaq. That is the only reason they won those rings.

You're the worst poster on Realgm.

They signed him via free agency, so how does that make a difference? Of course people want to play in Los Angeles. Have you ever heard an athlete in ANY SPORT say "I'm so excited about playing in Utah!"?

Yeah right.
We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk, is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
Heir
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Heir » Sun May 18, 2008 6:53 pm

LA Warrior wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm gonna jock that sig. Just wanted to let you know.
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 19

Post#14 » by schneiderjazz » Mon May 19, 2008 2:32 am

Heir wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They signed him via free agency, so how does that make a difference? Of course people want to play in Los Angeles. Have you ever heard an athlete in ANY SPORT say "I'm so excited about playing in Utah!"?

Yeah right.

Be honest, man. You wanna be a Jazz fan, right? You spend more time here than on the Lakers board. Out of your 100 posts, more than half of them are on this board. Stop lying to yourself.
Heir
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Heir » Mon May 19, 2008 4:41 am

schneiderjazz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Be honest, man. You wanna be a Jazz fan, right? You spend more time here than on the Lakers board. Out of your 100 posts, more than half of them are on this board. Stop lying to yourself.

Like I've said before, I post on CL. I don't go to the Laker board on RealGm because it's lame to me. I only come here for news and to read the views of non Laker fans.
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by HammerDunk » Mon May 19, 2008 5:24 am

LA Warrior wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ain't you edumecated? It's called book learning. A persons religion doesn't stop them from learning about other religions. :crazy:

Don't worry guys, we'll get there someday. I, for one, think the Jazz will win it all some time, hopefully before I die. :rofl:
Word is, South Beach is ecstatic that they
won't be seeing Millsaps talents again this season...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,818

Post#17 » by shrink » Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Best Subject Heading of the Year Nominee.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#18 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:35 pm

You built your team just fine. You can't control never lucking out on an elite talent(until Deron Williams). You're also in a small market thus you get no officiating love and you're in a location that's hard to draw free agents in.

Return to Utah Jazz