What contracts would Utah not match to keep their FAs?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

bgassassin
Starter
And1: 0

What contracts would Utah not match to keep their FAs? 

Post#1 » by bgassassin » Mon Jan 5, 2009 9:38 pm

I tried to look through other threads to make sure I'm not retreading anything, so if I am this one can be locked.

I was wondering what type of offers would Utah not match for players that are restricted or not pursue if they opted out?

So say if Millsap, Boozer, Okur and Korver are all available. What would it take to make Utah say, "You can have him."?
hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Re: What contracts would Utah not match to keep their FAs? 

Post#2 » by hoops4life » Mon Jan 5, 2009 9:48 pm

Milsap is the only one that is a RFA, so he is really the only one that the jazz can actually match.

I really don't think that the Jazz will be able to keep all four. They will be lucky to keep 3 of the 4. I would rank them in the following way: 1. Okur 2. Milsap 3. Boozer 4. Korver; that we actually keep.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I would see Millsap getting between $7-10 mil and Boozer getting very close to the max, Okur $10 - $15 range, and Korver no idea.

No idea where the jazz draw the line.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#3 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 5, 2009 9:58 pm

There is also no guarantee that Korver and Memo...I will even throw in Boozer now...will become UFA's this summer.

With the inconsistency that has hit Korver he would probably wont get more then he is making now and with the money available in summer 10 why not play another year and hope to have your best and make money. I think its the same situation with Memo, he isnt going to make more then he is making now and I wouldn't be surprised if he worked out an extension with Utah before the season ends.

With Boozer who know how long he will be out. He could pull a Brand and hope his body of work will get him a contract, but at the same time with the summer of 10 approaching and him being injured maybe he doesnt opt out and makes next season his contract year.

Most likely to happen:

Boozer opts out
Korver does not
Memo is 50/50

I think Millsap is matched no matter what. I think Deron is getting more comfortable with Millsap and will not mind seeing Booz walk as much as he probably would have before.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#4 » by carrottop12 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 10:01 pm

Millsap is the only guarantee that the Jazz would resign. And my guess is that would be anything up to 12 million which would be a lot of money for Millsap.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#5 » by hoops4life » Mon Jan 5, 2009 10:32 pm

$12 million starting for Millsap would be a ton of money.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#6 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 5, 2009 11:27 pm

hoops4life wrote:$12 million starting for Millsap would be a ton of money.

Well thats the worst part of Boozer being hurt. It might balloon to that. If Boozer stayed healthy we could have traded him or let him walk and could have gotten away with Millsap at the MLE probably.
bgassassin
Starter

Post#7 » by bgassassin » Tue Jan 6, 2009 2:10 am

So with Millsap, you guys really think it would take that much if Boozer did not opt out or did for that matter? I can still see Boozer doing it since Brand's injury didn't stop him. It would seem though based on your team's FO claims that if nobody opted out, including Boozer, they would be really restricted in what they would match for Millsap.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#8 » by djthesonicsfan » Tue Jan 6, 2009 3:03 am

If Boozer & Okur do not opt out, then Utah is at $71M committed salary next season. Before signing their 1st round pick. And before signing Millsap. That's right about at the luxury tax line. That's why the Utah front office said that in my opinion.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
David Ginola 14
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#9 » by David Ginola 14 » Tue Jan 6, 2009 12:58 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:If Boozer & Okur do not opt out, then Utah is at $71M committed salary next season. Before signing their 1st round pick. And before signing Millsap. That's right about at the luxury tax line. That's why the Utah front office said that in my opinion.

The next year we don't have the first pick (To Phila)...
Maybe we trade Harpring (the last yera 6,5 million)..
I'm an Italian Jazz fan...
Sorry for my English...
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#10 » by The Sheik » Tue Jan 6, 2009 8:27 pm

David Ginola 14 wrote:
djthesonicsfan wrote:If Boozer & Okur do not opt out, then Utah is at $71M committed salary next season. Before signing their 1st round pick. And before signing Millsap. That's right about at the luxury tax line. That's why the Utah front office said that in my opinion.

1. Luxury tax isnt enforced till after the season. So in theory Utah could match any offer to Millsap and move a contract like Harpring, Kirilenko or Boozers to get under the luxury tax by the end of the season.

2. Our pick is protected 1-22 this season and I wouldnt rule out us losing it at this point.
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#11 » by carrottop12 » Tue Jan 6, 2009 10:52 pm

Carlos Boozer wrote:“I’m opting out. No matter what, I’m going to get a raise regardless.

I'm not to worried about Boozer deciding to stay and that hurting the Jazz resigning Millsap.

The fact is, his agent is going to say, would you rather be a huge fish in a small pond in the FA pool this year, or a medium sized Fish in a huge pond after next season that includes in no order...

Joe Johnson
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
LeBron James
Dirk Nowitzki
Josh Howard
Luis Scola
Tracy McGrady
Yao Ming
TJ Ford
Marcus Camby
Dwyane Wade
Richard Jefferson
Michael Redd
Mike Miller
Tyson Chandler
Peja Stojakovic
Raja Bell
Steve Nash
Amare Stoudemire
LaMarcus Aldridge
Brandon Roy
Joel Pryzbilla
Brad Miller
Manu Ginobili
Chris Bosh

That is potentially 26 players (obviously some will get locked up before the offseason) who are all going to get at least 5 million per year, then there are 12 and maybe more that are legit options for max money. Boozer doesn't want to throw his name onto that list and hope he can get 1 of the 13 max deals going out that offseason.

What a freak year for free agency, that summer is going to be a riot.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#12 » by hoops4life » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:30 pm

How many teams are going to throw him large to max money sized deal when they can gamble and possibly get a better player for similar money the next year?
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#13 » by The Sheik » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:14 am

hoops4life wrote:How many teams are going to throw him large to max money sized deal when they can gamble and possibly get a better player for similar money the next year?

Detriot or Miami.

Boozers gonna be in for a surprise this summer. Because if he opts out and Detriot isnt willing to give him max money he is going to have to settle for less money and Utah wont be jumping at the chance at giving him 15 mil per. Of course he could always show everyone he is all about the money and go play for OKC.
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#14 » by carrottop12 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:21 am

He'll get a big offer somewhere. Teams always want to get better and this is a minor surgery with a long rehab time.

He's a proven scorer/rebounder and when healthy he makes your team significantly better. He'll get his money this offseason I am sure of it.
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#15 » by outerspacefella » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:11 am

Just some random thoughts here...
If you were the agent of a guy with a double-double average as a starter, where would you settle down during negotiations with Jazz FO? Next 2 summers there might be a huge amount of available premiere FA, and this is a factor to take into account, as Batronuj has correctly stated.
If the Jazz offer a deal running through 6 years with ETO, I think Millsap's camp will be reasonable. Of course if some team extend him an offer sheet worth 10+M per year, it will be a tough situation for the Jazz...
IMHO Jazz brass should do deep research about trade posibilities for Kirilenko/Harpring; just as an example, their contracts could provide 24+M real salary space for a team under the cap willing to make a run at one of the high profile 2011 free agents... and will make room to mantain our frontcourt... imagine by next season a starter 4-5 of Boozer-Koufos and a second unit featuring Millsap-Okur...
David Ginola 14
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#16 » by David Ginola 14 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:41 pm

The Sheik wrote:
David Ginola 14 wrote:

1. Luxury tax isnt enforced till after the season. So in theory Utah could match any offer to Millsap and move a contract like Harpring, Kirilenko or Boozers to get under the luxury tax by the end of the season.

2. Our pick is protected 1-22 this season and I wouldnt rule out us losing it at this point.

I think that if trade Kirilenko we aren't better...
I'm an Italian Jazz fan...
Sorry for my English...

Return to Utah Jazz