Memo and Boozer just dont work

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Re: Memo and Boozer just dont work 

Post#21 » by hoops4life » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:19 pm

I wouldn't really be against that either.
fivas14
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by fivas14 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:20 pm

I'd love Marion.
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by JStockLivesOn » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:28 am

I'd be happy to rent Marion as well.
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
kerplunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#24 » by kerplunk » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:33 am

That's a good one. I'll take it.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#25 » by erudite23 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:39 am

jazzed77 wrote:
HammerDunk wrote:I'm pretty sure he was referring to last year, when yes, some very average PFs would have career nights, and it seemed to happen a lot. This year Booz hasn't been around long enough to play really bad D, it actually seemed like he was playing much better D before he got injured, maybe due to a contract season. Who knows. But I absolutely remember a good number of sub-par to average PFs going off on us, such as Gooden. Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but yeah, I agree with jazzed77.

i was talking about his time in utah as a whole....I'm thinking Scola, Gooden, whoever that guy that plays PF for SA(not Duncan) as far as their PER by position..I'll take your word that they score high on the chart, but if you're trying to argue that the team in general and Booze in particular play "good" interior defense then you've either missed alot of games or you're delusional......

In the first place, this is the NBA. Every single player who starts is capable of going off on a nightly basis. Leinas Kleiza went off against us last year...so does that make AK a horrible defender?

Anthony Johnson went off against us last year. So did Devin Harris. We lost both games against vastly inferior opponents. Is Deron now a bad defender?

No, it is as ridiculous as it sounds. Where Boozer and Okur struggle is at helping on perimeter penetration, which is also a primary reason why we struggled so much against SFs (13th, iirc) and SGs (22nd).

Look, I'm not ignoring the defensive deficiencies of these two players. What I am saying is that 1) it is being vastly oversold and 2) people are fabricating symptoms as proof of the sickness, rather then understanding where the real issue arises. Boozer and Okur are both pretty good defenders on the ball. Their issues are with their inabilities to help their teammates. Bad defense doesn't always ---> the defender's man having a great game.

Not just that, but Boozer is an average NBA defender. He's not nearly as bad as everyone claims he is.
leventuysal
Rookie
And1: 64

Post#26 » by leventuysal » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:47 am

If Booze is an average NBA defender, Memo is the C of the NBA Defensive starting 5.
even beethoven had his critics. name three of them.
freakazoid
Banned User

Post#27 » by freakazoid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:51 am

Although I personally hate fickle fans who hate on our players, I can't really disagree with the premise of this thread.

I've also wondered about this since we first had these two players playing along side one another.

Problem: Neither one is a center, and what legitimate C in the league is a realistic option?

Answer: Sorry, but there ain't one.

Some might say Sammy D, but Philly aint givin him up and I'm not really convinced that trading Memo for him would benefit us.

Anyone who thinks we trade Booze for him is insane.

Return to Utah Jazz