Is Paul Millsap the real deal?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Is Paul Millsap the real deal?

Yes. He should be the Jazz's starting PF.
55%
Yes. But Boozer is better, and we should try to hang on to Carlos.
29%
No. He's a great bench player, who is just having a good run.
11%
No. He's too undersized to work out in the long term.
5%

Total votes: 38

Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Is Paul Millsap the real deal? 

Post#21 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Why can't you guys understand that that trade (Boozer for Rip+Maxiell) means BYE BYE MILLSAP next year????

If we make that trade, the incoming salalry (equal to Boozer's + whoever) is GUARANTEED for next year +. That means NO $$$$$ to resign Millsap to what he is going to cost. It equals keeping both Millsap and Boozer next year to which most of you know it's financially impossible under the tax limit.

That trade IMO, might help us a bit now, but would completly destroy us this summer. Meanwhile, we keep Boozer and let him come off the books, and use that money to resign Millsap and Okur (if he opts out) and then, according to how that goes and what we have left to offer, we make an offer to Boozer. He'll likely decline and that's it.

Given AK's and DWills big contracts, and Okur and Millsap which will demand quite a chunk themselfs, having a big contract such as Boozer's come off the books if exactly what we need. Not a trade to tie up that money for a couple of more years, on players that really aren't that great for us anyway.
Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
cjs55
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#22 » by cjs55 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:31 pm

The king is dead, long live the king.

In other words, yeah, he is.
gonzo
Junior
And1: 10

Post#23 » by gonzo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Jazzfan Bayamon wrote:Why can't you guys understand that that trade (Boozer for Rip+Maxiell) means BYE BYE MILLSAP next year????

If we make that trade, the incoming salalry (equal to Boozer's + whoever) is GUARANTEED for next year +. That means NO $$$$$ to resign Millsap to what he is going to cost. It equals keeping both Millsap and Boozer next year to which most of you know it's financially impossible under the tax limit.

That trade IMO, might help us a bit now, but would completly destroy us this summer. Meanwhile, we keep Boozer and let him come off the books, and use that money to resign Millsap and Okur (if he opts out) and then, according to how that goes and what we have left to offer, we make an offer to Boozer. He'll likely decline and that's it.

Given AK's and DWills big contracts, and Okur and Millsap which will demand quite a chunk themselfs, having a big contract such as Boozer's come off the books if exactly what we need. Not a trade to tie up that money for a couple of more years, on players that really aren't that great for us anyway.

Bingo.
Check the line-up at ShamSports:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/jazz.jsp

Under 2009/2010 we have ten players under contract with a little over 1M under the tax. Not even enough room to squeeze in Ronnie Price, I believe. Plus waving bye-bye to Millsap. If no one opts out, I believe we pay the tax just to fill out the required number of players to make a roster. That's with nobody opting out.

If Boozer or Okur opt out, they have just bailed us out - we use their salary to fill out roster. Still not enough to save Millsap.

If they both opt out, we have room for one of either Millsap, Boozer, or Okur. Any talk of Rip in place of Boozer doesn't solve a damn thing.

Okur, Boozer, Millsap and AK. All big salary guys now, thanks to Millsap and his play of late. We have room for two of the four. I'd keep Paul 'the real deal' Millsap. He's tougher and more durable than the rest. Maybe not as polished as Boozer, but we haven't seen the finished product yet, I believe.
Racer X wrote:We are not out of this mother yet.
freakazoid
Banned User

Post#24 » by freakazoid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:00 am

fivas14 wrote:Hell mother **** yes he is.

He doesn't commit stupid fouls,.

:lol:

Funniest thing I've ever read on any message board in the last million years.

Millsap is awesome, but he commits about 300 fouls for every minute he plays.

Let him try to stay on the floor for 35-40 minutes, and see how his aggressiveness on defense changes.

Drugs are bad.
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by HammerDunk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 am

freakazoid wrote:
fivas14 wrote:Hell mother **** yes he is.

He doesn't commit stupid fouls,.

:lol:

Funniest thing I've ever read on any message board in the last million years.

Millsap is awesome, but he commits about 300 fouls for every minute he plays.

Let him try to stay on the floor for 35-40 minutes, and see how his aggressiveness on defense changes.

Drugs are bad.

News flash, he HAS been staying on the floor for 30+ minutes without fouling out. He is at least as good as Boozer at this, since I remember him fouling out occasionally too. Sap doesn't seem as prone to offensive fouls as Boozer either. He is still a much better defender than Boozer and fouls at a similar pace.
Word is, South Beach is ecstatic that they
won't be seeing Millsaps talents again this season...
freakazoid
Banned User

Post#26 » by freakazoid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 am

HammerDunk wrote:News flash, he HAS been staying on the floor for 30+ minutes without fouling out. He is at least as good as Boozer at this, since I remember him fouling out occasionally too. Sap doesn't seem as prone to offensive fouls as Boozer either. He is still a much better defender than Boozer and fouls at a similar pace.

Newsflash:

Denver = #1

Portland = #2

Utah = #3

Proof positive that we'd be better off with Sap instead of Boozer.

I'm so glad Sap doesn't commit stupid fouls. Crazy how we somehow suck compared to playing with a healthy Boozer.

Who woulda guessed?

Boozer clearly sucks. I hope we can dump him and be 4th in our division next year.

That'd be sweet.

Playoffs = Overrated
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#27 » by Duiz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

I don't think you get it freakzoid...

It is either Boozer....

or Knight, Millsap, and Brewer...

One of them has to pay the price. We would have to say bye bye to One of these groups here.
freakazoid
Banned User

Post#28 » by freakazoid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Duiz wrote:I don't think you get it freakzoid...

It is either Boozer....

One of them has to pay the price. We would have to say bye bye to One of these groups here.

Your point is valid, but aren't you forgetting someone? AK? Memo?

Anyway, I just get a little annoyed with people who want to pretend that we're doing just fine without Boozer.

We definitely miss him.
gonzo
Junior

Post#29 » by gonzo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:07 pm

We're better with him, for sure. I honestly credit our standing in the NW with Deron's injury more than Boozer's. Price did a good job, but Price filling in for Deron is light years away from Millsap filling in for Boozer. If Deron doesn't go down with an injury, we're right in the thick of it. Boozer might be better, but we have a starting PF backing him up. We could get by.
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by HammerDunk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:18 pm

It seems to me that a lot of people are forgetting that Millsap doesn't have a very good backup to come off the bench for him either. Of course we would be better with Boozer in and Sap coming off the bench again, but I think we would do just as well if the roles were reversed. Having Sap come off the bench gave us a great spark that we haven't had since he has been the starter.
Word is, South Beach is ecstatic that they
won't be seeing Millsaps talents again this season...
gonzo
Junior

Post#31 » by gonzo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Agree with that. Definately a luxury having the both of them.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#32 » by Duiz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:39 am

freakazoid wrote:
Duiz wrote:I don't think you get it freakzoid...

It is either Boozer....

Your point is valid, but aren't you forgetting someone? AK? Memo?

Anyway, I just get a little annoyed with people who want to pretend that we're doing just fine without Boozer.

We definitely miss him.

WE miss him... but we become VERY VERY THIN if we lose him. I don't think you get him that is better not have him and keep our depth, than have him, lose our bench/depth and be running the risk of being a lottery team if he gets injured just like he has had with his history in Utah.

I say let's ship him out while he has some value and let's win now while we have Millsap and Brewer with a pathetic salary.
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by JStockLivesOn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 am

HammerDunk wrote:It seems to me that a lot of people are forgetting that Millsap doesn't have a very good backup to come off the bench for him either.

Exactly. The "we're not winning right now, so obviously Sap is barely half as good as Boozer" argument doesn't make much sense, considering our back-up options with Boozer out.
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
freakazoid
Banned User

Post#34 » by freakazoid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:23 am

Duiz wrote: the risk of being a lottery team if he gets injured just like he has had with his history in Utah.

Overblown. AK anyone? (BTW, I love Drei and have supported him through the same criticism Booze is going through now, but he makes more money, gets injured more, and doesn't quite have the stats of someone like Booze).

Duiz wrote:I say let's ship him out while he has some value and let's win now while we have Millsap and Brewer with a pathetic salary.

As an admitted Boozer fan, it pains me to admit it, but now is probably the time to try and dump booze for draft pick/s and expiring/s. Otherwise, we basically have to take back equal value, which puts us in the same boat where we need to dump salary.

gonzo wrote:We're better with him, for sure. I honestly credit our standing in the NW with Deron's injury more than Boozer's. Price did a good job, but Price filling in for Deron is light years away from Millsap filling in for Boozer. If Deron doesn't go down with an injury, we're right in the thick of it. Boozer might be better, but we have a starting PF backing him up. We could get by.[/qu

HammerDunk wrote:It seems to me that a lot of people are forgetting that Millsap doesn't have a very good backup to come off the bench for him either. Of course we would be better with Boozer in and Sap coming off the bench again, but I think we would do just as well if the roles were reversed. Having Sap come off the bench gave us a great spark that we haven't had since he has been the starter.

JStockLivesOn wrote:Exactly. The "we're not winning right now, so obviously Sap is barely half as good as Boozer" argument doesn't make much sense, considering our back-up options with Boozer out.

Excellent posts by gonzo, Hammer, and Jstock.

I can't argue with any of those points. Kudos.

P.S. My apologies to Fivas. I admit that I haven't been able to watch many games this year, and my analysis has suffered considerably. This weekend I went back and watched a few of the recent Jazz games. Not only has Sap proved himself worthy of starting( I never doubted this, I only thought his defensive aggressiveness would have to be brought down), but it looks to me like AK has found life again playing on a team that isn't dominated so much by a player like Booze.

I love Boozer, and I still consider him one of the top big men in the league, but it's time for me to admit the possibility that we might be better off without him. Ouch.

I still ABSOLUTELY HATE the thought of losing such an incredible talent without getting something in return. :ouch: Image

Return to Utah Jazz