Hindsight

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

GP
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Hindsight 

Post#1 » by GP » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Hindsight is always 20/20, that being the case:

What personnel move do you think the jazz should/shouldn't have made and why?

Mine would have been to draft Chris Paul. After watching both CP3 and DW for the past few seasons, IMHO, CP3 is just a step above DW and I think he would have been a great fit for the jazz.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Re: Hindsight 

Post#2 » by carrottop12 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Al Jefferson and Josh Smith over Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder.
J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#3 » by J_Ray » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Take Tony Parker over Raul Lopez that would of lead to Utah keeping their 2 picks instead of moving up for Deron, then using those on Danny Granger & David Lee ;)
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#4 » by carrottop12 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm

J_Ray wrote:Take Tony Parker over Raul Lopez that would of lead to Utah keeping their 2 picks instead of moving up for Deron, then using those on Danny Granger & David Lee ;)

I'd rather have Deron.
dalekjazz
Sixth Man
Location: Karl Malone Quote: "Anybody not wearing a Utah Jazz jersey is the enemy."

Post#5 » by dalekjazz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:16 am

Trading Adrian Dantley for Kelly Tripucka.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#6 » by Wolverine » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:19 am

Batronuj wrote:
J_Ray wrote:Take Tony Parker over Raul Lopez that would of lead to Utah keeping their 2 picks instead of moving up for Deron, then using those on Danny Granger & David Lee ;)

I'd rather have Deron.

So you wouldn't trade Deron for Parker, Granger & Lee?
I would introduce Ameachi & Curry :lol:
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#7 » by carrottop12 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 am

Wolverine wrote:
Batronuj wrote:

I'd rather have Deron.

So you wouldn't trade Deron for Parker, Granger & Lee?
I would introduce Ameachi & Curry :lol:

Nope I wouldn't.

Parker has had a lot of success, and is a very good player, but also fell into a situation playing next to the best player of the decade with an outstanding coach and the best GM in the game who really put together an amazing team.

Granger and Lee are both good players, and Granger is a potential all-star, but both are playing on terrible teams, neither have ever sniffed the playoffs, and neither have really won their an amazing amount of games.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that you need to have a top 5 player to win a championship in the league, and with Deron I feel the Jazz are a lot closer to that goal then the team otherwise constructed.

And also if you get Parker the Jazz never would have had that 26 win record would have gotten the Jazz Granger.

But yes, I have more faith in Deron leading us to a ring then I would with that team.
kwill
Ballboy

Post#8 » by kwill » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:56 am

Hindsight is not necessary. Here are some true stories. I love the Jazz and spend too much of my life following everything Jazz including the draft. When the Jazz passed on Tony Parker I threw a brick at my TV. That cost me some money, and I never bought into the justification the Jazz sold to the fans that Lopez could be stashed in Europe for a couple of years. I was right on draft day and I'm still right.

When the Jazz passed on Big Al Jefferson, I kicked the wall and hurt my foot. I knew we would regret that choice. I was right on draft day and I'm still right.

When Deron was drafted I was at work and I heard that the Jazz had made some trades to move up to the third pick in the draft. I came home because I was sure we were going to draft CP and I was so excited I could not work. I actually wept openly that Deron was drafted. Its the first time my wife had seen me cry. I knew CP was going to be fantastic. I had no idea that Deron would be as great as he is. I thought this was the same as passing on Jordan to draft Bowie. Now Deron has proved me wrong, but that is what I thought at the time. Since the draft, I love Deron. It was not like we passed over Jordan for Bowie its like passing over Jordon for Hakeem. Both are great.

Now just when I start believing I should be the Jazz's GM I remember that I told my wife I would not have taken Paul Milsap. The guy stands 6 feet 6 and 3/4 inches without shoes. Man was I wrong about that one.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#9 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:00 am

Batronuj wrote:

I'd rather have Deron.

Uh, not in hind site, especially not after Granger's year. No way. I love the guys on the team, but get real, man.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#10 » by The Sheik » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:07 am

Batronuj wrote:Al Jefferson and Josh Smith over Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder.

and in hindsight they would have never developed here.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#11 » by The Sheik » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 am

Batronuj wrote:
I'm a firm believer in the fact that you need to have a top 5 player to win a championship in the league, and with Deron I feel the Jazz are a lot closer to that goal then the team otherwise constructed.

I totally agree with this. However, the Jazz have never been in a position to get players like this( except 2005). People call it blessing that Stockton and Malone played as long as they did or we made the playoffs so many years in a row, but it hindered us from ever getting a shot at the superstars. Im not saying CP3 is better than Deron, but we all knew he was going to be the superstar of that draft. We havent been proactive enough in these drafts to move up like Pritchard in Portland has. Sure Ronnie Brewer is great, but if we could have given up a future pick(s) to move up for Brandon Roy why dont we? I mean hell Minnesota traded him to Portland.

This team is to conservative. Thats why we didnt pick Jefferson and Smith, didnt draft Paul and I could go on and on. You think Utah would ever draft Josh or JR Smith?
J_Ray
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by J_Ray » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 am

Batronuj wrote:And also if you get Parker the Jazz never would have had that 26 win record would have gotten the Jazz Granger.

Granger slipped to #17 bud, you think we would of been that good that year with Parker and Memo carrying the team?

Here's another one, resigning Mo Williams....wouldn't you guys love a signature Sloan line-up with Mo Williams & DW?
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by JStockLivesOn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:32 pm

J_Ray wrote:
Here's another one, resigning Mo Williams....wouldn't you guys love a signature Sloan line-up with Mo Williams & DW?

Mo Williams is a good player, but too shoot-happy for my tastes.
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#14 » by MeestR » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:47 pm

trading away the human highlight reel for cash.
every draft pick between ak and dwill.
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by JStockLivesOn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:54 pm

stvfan5 wrote:trading away the human highlight reel for cash.

The team probably wouldn't be in Utah if not for that. They were in dire trouble financially.
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
partnerfusion
Freshman

Post#16 » by partnerfusion » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:24 pm

I once asked KOC this exact question (about 1 year ago) and his response we that he would not have let Mo Williams go - obviously you could argue that if we would have kept mo we might never have gotten deron - that wasn't his point - just that he really liked Mo.
sendai91
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#17 » by sendai91 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:46 am

How about Manu Ginobli instead of Quincy Lewis or Scott Padgett? (picked ironically 38 and 29 picks ahead of Manu) or Michael Redd instead of Deshawn Stevenson?
gonzo
Junior
And1: 10

Post#18 » by gonzo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:03 am

Malone recommending Saer Sene in 2006. Damn, he was gone and we got stuck with Ronnie Brewer. :lol:
Racer X wrote:We are not out of this mother yet.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#19 » by The Sheik » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:18 am

Lets go further back and never sold Dominique Wilkins for cash. Its pointless to play this game. Look Stevenson looked like a bust and he has turned into a solid role player. You just dont know if players would have developed the same way here as they did elsewhere.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#20 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:11 am

Thing with Stevenson is, no one save a few guys drafted around him turned out half as good as he did. That was just a case of the draft being awful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NBA_Draft

Redd, but that's just a case like Hornacek where pure shooters just drop like that. Other than that who has stuck in the league from 23 down? Marko Jaric, Jake Tsakalidis hung around a few years, but got awful quick. After that you are looking at Jason Hart as a guy who is still in the league. Deshawn was the best pick possible, save Redd and Jaric, and even Jaric is debatable.

edit: There are a few hangers on too like Eddie House and Brian Cardinal, but you get the point.

Return to Utah Jazz