2024 NBA draft

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,672

Re: 2024 NBA draft 

Post#121 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 pm

Zagor wrote:If 5-man out is still a plan, then Presti has to find better starting forward instead of Giddey. That could be someone from this list: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Deni Avdija, Tobias Harris, Bobby Portis, Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith.
Next move: draft Yves Missi who is going to be defensive stud. Ideal back-up center for Chet and if needed they could play together against teams like Mavs or Minnesota.

What makes you think Missi would be a quality player in a 5-man out system?
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Zagor
Junior
And1: 127

Post#122 » by Zagor » Sun May 19, 2024 8:26 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

5-man out is for starting unit.

Of course Missi is complete opposite of stretch five, but he would be used as a 20 minute role player.
Screens, rebounds and blocks. I think offense would survive his minutes but he would greatly improve Jaylin performance in defense.

That's just an idea. Maybe they opt for developed center like Claxton or Allen and play two towers. We'll see.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,796

Post#123 » by Devilanche » Wed May 22, 2024 2:25 am

Zagor wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

5-man out is for starting unit.

Of course Missi is complete opposite of stretch five, but he would be used as a 20 minute role player.
Screens, rebounds and blocks. I think offense would survive his minutes but he would greatly improve Jaylin performance in defense.

That's just an idea. Maybe they opt for developed center like Claxton or Allen and play two towers. We'll see.

Yeap 5 man out is for the closing lineup.

We can still get away with a traditional 5 in some minutes if rest of team are decent 3 point shooter and the 5 is either a lob target or can space a bit with a long 2.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.

meekrab wrote:Nothing Jerry Rein$dorf loves more than a visit from Cash Considerations.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#124 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed May 22, 2024 2:56 am

Devilanche wrote:Yeap 5 man out is for the closing lineup.

We can still get away with a traditional 5 in some minutes if rest of team are decent 3 point shooter and the 5 is either a lob target or can space a bit with a long 2.

My issue with Missi, assuming we are committed to a 5-man out lineup, is that he has less shooting range than Lively. I'm not going to say that Missi couldn't develop some range, but there are big men that tested more athletic at the combine with better shooting and have shown better range and FT shooting. I don't dislike Missi as a prospect, but I don't like his fit over some other big men that OKC would be passing on to draft him. I don't like the idea of taking a player that even if they reach their potential in the paint could end up as a maximum 15 MPG player. Missi doesn't have the passing ability at this point to even rebound and get the ball to a shooter, which is one of the things that makes him an inferior prospect to Edey. All Missi can do is try to go up with one defender there and others closing because they know he is not a threat to pass. Even if they foul him in the process he's unlikely to make both FTs.

If OKC drafted Missi they would need to a big man that could actually contribute next year as he is unlikely to be able to in a significant way. His ceiling is huge, but he's 2-3 years from even being capable of reaching what Lively did as a rookie. If they are going to take a high ceiling, low floor prospect I prefer Chomche. OKC is too good to be taking a prospect like Missi or Chomche unless they acquire a second FRP to roll the dice with. They need players that will be able to contribute as rookies.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#125 » by Devilanche » Wed May 22, 2024 3:26 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

My issue with Missi, assuming we are committed to a 5-man out lineup, is that he has less shooting range than Lively. I'm not going to say that Missi couldn't develop some range, but there are big men that tested more athletic at the combine with better shooting and have shown better range and FT shooting. I don't dislike Missi as a prospect, but I don't like his fit over some other big men that OKC would be passing on to draft him. I don't like the idea of taking a player that even if they reach their potential in the paint could end up as a maximum 15 MPG player. Missi doesn't have the passing ability at this point to even rebound and get the ball to a shooter, which is one of the things that makes him an inferior prospect to Edey. All Missi can do is try to go up with one defender there and others closing because they know he is not a threat to pass. Even if they foul him in the process he's unlikely to make both FTs.

If OKC drafted Missi they would need to a big man that could actually contribute next year as he is unlikely to be able to in a significant way. His ceiling is huge, but he's 2-3 years from even being capable of reaching what Lively did as a rookie. If they are going to take a high ceiling, low floor prospect I prefer Chomche. OKC is too good to be taking a prospect like Missi or Chomche unless they acquire a second FRP to roll the dice with. They need players that will be able to contribute as rookies.

I’m drafting either Edey or Tristan. Want an immediate contributor
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.

meekrab wrote:Nothing Jerry Rein$dorf loves more than a visit from Cash Considerations.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 375

Post#126 » by Big nick » Wed May 22, 2024 9:17 am

Devilanche wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I would like edey and or cody williams. Cody has a higher 3pt % and a longer 7'1.5 wing span than tristan. It would be great if we could buy another draft pick and get both.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,449

Post#127 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 22, 2024 3:56 pm

Big nick wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I would like edey and or cody williams. Cody has a higher 3pt % and a longer 7'1.5 wing span than tristan. It would be great if we could buy another draft pick and get both.

I would argue wingspan and age is all Cody has over Tristan. Yes, Cody has a nice 3PT% but the volume was super low and his FT% makes me not trust that low volume, high 3PT %.

Silva has an outside chance to be a sort of Deni IMO. He was a 50/40/80 shooter last year, he moves the ball well, does the little things, can rebound decently (For a SF), has switchability as a defender.

I dont think Silva would be acceptable as the only move but if OKC improves elsewhere I love taking him and using him as the 3rd string F at both spots until he is a bit more seasoned - if he develops well he is a pretty ideal F in the OKC scheme IMO.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 127

Post#128 » by Zagor » Wed May 22, 2024 4:24 pm

Edey is interesting option but we don't know can he stay on the floor? Would he be able to defend or he would be a big minus?

Let we all remind ourselves that Jaylin Williams played 14 minutes per game against Dallas. And he can't defend, jump or dunk.
I believe both Edey and Missi would be an upgrade. Ware also, although some reports say his main issue is lack of tenacity.

I think best way is to draft big guy who would be our back-up center. And then solve Giddey replacement in FA or trade.
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#129 » by Bremzi » Wed May 22, 2024 5:49 pm

Ideally OKC drafts Kyle Filipowski to imitate Lauri longterm at PF, while also adding a starting traditional big man (be it Allen or Claxton or Capela or trade future picks and/or Giddey for a big man rookie ala Edey or somebody else).

I don’t see it being impossible to strive for a combination of Clingan (currently projected at #9 and Presti trades up), while selecting Filipowski by sending out possibly 2 future first round picks or a Giddey + a pick. Could also work in reverse if OKC takes Filipowski at #12 and trades for Clingan with picks and/or players (be it Giddey or Joe or someone else outside the core).

That’s the best way to add size ( i.e. get another stretch big and a standard big man for versatility and long-term cap sustainability). I personally like Clingan because he isnt as slow as Edey and he has the feel for the game and oversight. I see him to an extent as a baby Jokic. Just all around efficient around the basket with both hands and a good passer and a screener. He would fit perfect I think. There should be high expectations towards improving the current holes in the roster.

Considering the fact that OKC can get 4 1st round selections in 2025 and at least three of them are realistic (one of Utah or Houston likely doesnt convey), there’s definitely a chance that Presti trades up and gets 2 rookie bigs or at least a rookie big and another experienced big man. Lord have mercy if he selects another guard.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 375

Post#130 » by Big nick » Thu May 23, 2024 1:29 am

Rudy can stay on the floor, and edey was faster than clingan at the combines and shot better also. I also like Filipowski but I think I like edey better. And yes I agree Sam please don't draft another guard.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#131 » by Devilanche » Sat May 25, 2024 1:02 pm

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat May 25, 2024 2:05 pm

He's an interesting PF prospect. Article is well written and gives some nice incite to a lesser known prospect. He wasn't on my radar, but I like what I'm finding about him. He might end up being a 3rd rookie that I'd like OKC to get. Edey and Chomche are the two I definitely want OKC to leave the draft with. Presti could do some interesting things on draft night. I wonder if the NYK would have any interest in Giddey for #24 and #25. Giddey is probably worth more in a vacuum, but if Presti could get Freeman, who grabbed 12.9 rebounds a game last year, and Edey it would completely change the rebounding for OKC. Chomche, as I've said before, is more of a draft and stash due to being raw.

Adding those three prospects then using the other assets and cap space to get a veteran PF would make for a good off-season. I'm not going to talk up Freeman's 3pt shooting, although his percentage was solid his volume was low and his FT shooting is solid, but not something that jumps out as a shooter's FT%. He had his best games in tournament games including a 24 pt, 21 reb and 7 blk game in his conference tournament semi final with a 21pt and 14 reb effort in his single NCAA tournament game. They lost to Ceighton, but losing to a 3 seed isn't something you can put on him.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#133 » by Devilanche » Sat May 25, 2024 2:16 pm

I’m not even sure if he should be OKC target or if he’s even ready next season for the NBA but sharing cause article was decent and the young man seems like a good person who works hard.

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat May 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Devilanche wrote:I’m not even sure if he should be OKC target or if he’s even ready next season for the NBA but sharing cause article was decent and the young man seems like a good person who works hard.

6'8, athletic, good rebounder and developing his 3pt shooting. The more I dig into Freeman the more I'd much rather have him than Cody Williams who I'm afraid is going to be the pick at #12. Williams might end up a solid 3&D guy, but he doesn't rebound, doesn't have ball skills, doesn't pass well, etc. He also isn't a good defender at this point. I'm not going to say Williams doesn't have a place in the NBA, but his upside is a lesser version of Dort and his floor is too low for me to want to risk the pick on him with the other players that will be there. I'm really souring on Cody the more I dig into him.

If I'm going to gamble on one of them I'd rather have the bigger and equally athletic Freeman over Cody. When you factor in where they are projected to go in the draft I don't really consider it close. Don't try to compare Cody to Jalen, because there isn't a comparison. Jalen shot well at a much higher volume in college, grabbed more rebounds, had over double the assists, double the steals, etc. Very different players and prospects. Jalen also has the better wingspan despite being shorter.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#135 » by Devilanche » Sat May 25, 2024 3:44 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I’m not even sure if he should be OKC target or if he’s even ready next season for the NBA but sharing cause article was decent and the young man seems like a good person who works hard.

6'8, athletic, good rebounder and developing his 3pt shooting. The more I dig into Freeman the more I'd much rather have him than Cody Williams who I'm afraid is going to be the pick at #12. Williams might end up a solid 3&D guy, but he doesn't rebound, doesn't have ball skills, doesn't pass well, etc. He also isn't a good defender at this point. I'm not going to say Williams doesn't have a place in the NBA, but his upside is a lesser version of Dort and his floor is too low for me to want to risk the pick on him with the other players that will be there. I'm really souring on Cody the more I dig into him.

If I'm going to gamble on one of them I'd rather have the bigger and equally athletic Freeman over Cody. When you factor in where they are projected to go in the draft I don't really consider it close. Don't try to compare Cody to Jalen, because there isn't a comparison. Jalen shot well at a much higher volume in college, grabbed more rebounds, had over double the assists, double the steals, etc. Very different players and prospects. Jalen also has the better wingspan despite being shorter.

It’s why I’m drafting either Eddy or Tristan at 12. I’m going for higher floor and should be ready earlier.
Knecht probably my 3rd most likely choice.
Maybe Tidjane if I still want swing for upside .

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,408

Post#136 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Who are possible targets at #12 that are less Dieng/Poku projects and higher odds to help a contender?

I think Presti is likely gonna keep the pick and I like having young players to develop but I think it's pretty unlikely to find another Cason Wallace that could contribute from his rookie season. In a vacuum odds are not good for a rookie to help a contender despite what we saw this season from Lively, Chet, Cason and some others.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#137 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue May 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Who are possible targets at #12 that are less Dieng/Poku projects and higher odds to help a contender?

I think Presti is likely gonna keep the pick and I like having young players to develop but I think it's pretty unlikely to find another Cason Wallace that could contribute from his rookie season. In a vacuum odds are not good for a rookie to help a contender despite what we saw this season from Lively, Chet, Cason and some others.

Edey, Tristian Da Silva, Knecht, Filipowski just off the top of my head are guys that can contribute as rookies for OKC in various capacities. Edey has the highest ceiling. Knecht might have some problems with playing time as another shooting wing, but if Giddey is moved he'd be fighting with Joe and Wiggins for minutes. Filipowski could be a stretch 5 that can rebound off the bench that could possibly play with Chet or Jaylin on the floor. Da Silva is a forward that can shoot and is a decent rebounder and solid defender. He could be JDub's backup and if Giddey is gone could end up as the starting PF. Knecht and Da Silva are the best bests for Cason level impact as a rookie. Edey's range as a rookie is from ROY potential to just a banger in the paint, which has limited value for OKC.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#138 » by Devilanche » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:58 pm

I’m still on that Zach Eddy , Tristan De Silva , Kel El Ware and Dalton Knecht draft train . Anyone else I should be excited about with for pick 12 ?

Yea I prefer trading down and get 1 of them .

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:06 am

Devilanche wrote:I’m still on that Zach Eddy , Tristan De Silva , Kel El Ware and Dalton Knecht draft train . Anyone else I should be excited about with for pick 12 ?

Yea I prefer trading down and get 1 of them .

Devin Carter, 6'3 PG out of Providence with a 6'8 wingspan, good 3pt shot and good defender. Could be a Presti target that wouldn't upset me. Taking him over Edey would be similar to Cason over Lively. You are still getting a good prospect, but not fixing the glaring hole in your team.
mr570
Senior
And1: 308

Post#140 » by mr570 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Big nick wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I’m drafting either Edey or Tristan. Want an immediate contributor

I would argue wingspan and age is all Cody has over Tristan. Yes, Cody has a nice 3PT% but the volume was super low and his FT% makes me not trust that low volume, high 3PT %.

Silva has an outside chance to be a sort of Deni IMO. He was a 50/40/80 shooter last year, he moves the ball well, does the little things, can rebound decently (For a SF), has switchability as a defender.

I dont think Silva would be acceptable as the only move but if OKC improves elsewhere I love taking him and using him as the 3rd string F at both spots until he is a bit more seasoned - if he develops well he is a pretty ideal F in the OKC scheme IMO.

Heard on Down to Dunk today that DeSilva has a lower standing reach than Jalen Williams, who is 6’5. Don’t think DeSilva is the piece we all thought he could be. Hearing that kind of soured me on him tbh

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder