Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Let's Make a Deal: Thunder Trade Targets 

Post#2521 » by spearsy23 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:If you could play any NBA player with George and Westbrook who would it be and why.

Does that player fit in a lineup with Adams and Roberson as well?

Checklist for said player....

- Hits the open three at a consistent rate (38%-40%).
- Can handle the ball well enough to alleviate pressure and get to the basket semi-occasionally.
- Above average playmaker who can help facilitate the offense.
- Above average defender.

I know the player I just described probably isn't attainable because that's $15M-$20M player. Really, though, we just need someone to pair with Russ that can facilitate the offense because right now there's not another competent facilitator on the entire roster. George is kinda close, I guess, but mentally he's not equipped to accept a secondary facilitator role; he's never shown that capability in his career. Also, if that player can hit open threes at a consistent rate (38%-40%) and be just a few notches better than Abrines on defense, then I'd be happy.

Saric or James Johnson?

James Johnson is so not a Thunder player. He's a role guy who has maximized his talent, Billy would probably relegate him to the d-league.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2522 » by spearsy23 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:51 pm

NaturalThunder wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:If you could play any NBA player with George and Westbrook who would it be and why.

- Can handle the ball well enough to alleviate pressure and get to the basket semi-occasionally.

I know the player I just described probably isn't attainable because that's $15M-$20M player. Really, though, we just need someone to pair with Russ that can facilitate the offense because right now there's not another competent facilitator on the entire roster. George is kinda close, I guess, but mentally he's not equipped to accept a secondary facilitator role; he's never shown that capability in his career. Also, if that player can hit open threes at a consistent rate (38%-40%) and be just a few notches better than Abrines on defense, then I'd be happy.

Gfycat Video - Click to Play
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#2523 » by Dn4sty » Thu May 24, 2018 3:02 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:

Mo Harkless gets you close.

I’m a huge fan of Harkless. I think he’s massively underrated
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#2524 » by Balkman32 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:57 pm

We need to help LeBron’s Cavs get Kawhi. If we can get Kawhi on the Cavs the Lakers doesn’t look as good for PG.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2525 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Any chance Milwaukee would move
17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#2526 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:31 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Any chance Milwaukee would move
17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?

Since they could replace two scrubs with two decent role players, why not?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#2527 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?

I would do that.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2528 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?

It would be one of Delly/Henson.

Saves us some pocket change if it's Delly and moves us into a mid 1st. I don't believe there's room for abrines and Ferguson both long term, neither can defend the three effectively or handle the ball. I was completely off board the abrines train, but he reeled me back in during the last bit of the season, continuing to wait on him scares me though. I'm working under the assumption that Melo is going to still be here and we want to keep Grant, in which case Patterson continues to be underutilized and unhappy.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#2529 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 pm

17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?

Hard pass from me. Absolutely kills our depth without any savings.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2530 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:06 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?

Kills our depth? Patterson was our second bench big and abrines dipped in and out of the rotation. Delly/Henson aren't any worse than what you were getting out of one of those guys, if it's Henson I actually think it's an upgrade at the 5.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2531 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
17 + Delly or Henson
for
abrines and patterson?

Kills our depth? Patterson was our second bench big and abrines dipped in and out of the rotation. Delly/Henson aren't any worse than what you were getting out of one of those guys, if it's Henson I actually think it's an upgrade at the 5.

Hopefully Melo is off our roster under any circumstances. Leaves 2Pat as our only real option at the 4. No PG means Roberson likely plays the majority of our SF minutes. Henson is fine as a backup and I would prefer him over Delly but he's exclusively a 5 and I'd rather have Grant in that role. Delly is legitimately terrible now. Not sure what he does well anymore outside of dive on loose balls. #17 could be something nice but I think both Abrines/Patterson are nice and should've been played more than they were.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2532 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:52 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

Hopefully Melo is off our roster under any circumstances. Leaves 2Pat as our only real option at the 4. No PG means Roberson likely plays the majority of our SF minutes. Henson is fine as a backup and I would prefer him over Delly but he's exclusively a 5 and I'd rather have Grant in that role. Delly is legitimately terrible now. Not sure what he does well anymore outside of dive on loose balls. #17 could be something nice but I think both Abrines/Patterson are nice and should've been played more than they were.

If George is gone then you do it in a heartbeat, because you're rebuilding and abrines and patpat aren't helping toward that end.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2533 » by retrobro90 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 am

spearsy23 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Kills our depth? Patterson was our second bench big and abrines dipped in and out of the rotation. Delly/Henson aren't any worse than what you were getting out of one of those guys, if it's Henson I actually think it's an upgrade at the 5.

If George is gone then you do it in a heartbeat, because you're rebuilding and abrines and patpat aren't helping toward that end.

I personally don't wanna go full rebuild if George leaves but that's me. Would rather stock up around Russ/Adams and I think Abrines and Patterson are fundamentally better players to do that. They're both on much friendlier deals and pick #17 (aka the shiny mystery box) doesn't entice me enough to take on either of those MIL players, especially Delly.

Just for giggles here's the past twelve #17 picks

DJ Wilson
Wade Baldwin
Rashad Vaughn
James Young
Dennis Schroeder
Tyler Zeller
Iman Shumpert
Kevin Seraphin
Jrue Holiday
Roy Hibbert
Sean Williams
Shawne Williams
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#2534 » by twix2500 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Carmelo Anthony and Patrick Patterson to Heat for Tyler Johnson and James Johnson

Westbrook
Tyler Johnson
Paul George
James Johnson
Adams

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2535 » by Balkman32 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 pm

twix2500 wrote:Carmelo Anthony and Patrick Patterson to Heat for Tyler Johnson and James Johnson

Westbrook
Tyler Johnson
Paul George
James Johnson
Adams

No Thanks. I am not too keen on paying Tyler 2 years $39 million.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2536 » by Balkman32 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Balkman32 wrote:We need to help LeBron’s Cavs get Kawhi. If we can get Kawhi on the Cavs the Lakers doesn’t look as good for PG.

Or the Clippers. If we can help the Clippers get Kawhi they dont have the cap room to sign Paul George.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#2537 » by bondom34 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:57 pm

twix2500 wrote:Carmelo Anthony and Patrick Patterson to Heat for Tyler Johnson and James Johnson

Westbrook
Tyler Johnson
Paul George
James Johnson
Adams

Yeah this seems reasonable. Been tossed around the trade board a bit too. Kinda like it for both.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#2538 » by twix2500 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm

bondom34 wrote:

Westbrook
Tyler Johnson
Paul George
James Johnson
Adams

Yeah this seems reasonable. Been tossed around the trade board a bit too. Kinda like it for both.

TJ and JJ fit so well as glue pieces who can do it all without demanding a lot of touches. Trios need those complementary glue pieces. It is why the Heat Lebron, Wade and Bosh didnt start to click until Battier and Chalmers stepped in the starting lineup with them. Resigning PG, OKC gonna have a hard time adding quality role players with no money. Getting two quality role players with Melos money is n oppurtunity that they cant pass.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2539 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm

twix2500 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

Westbrook
Tyler Johnson
Paul George
James Johnson
Adams

TJ and JJ fit so well as glue pieces who can do it all without demanding a lot of touches. Trios need those complementary glue pieces. It is why the Heat Lebron, Wade and Bosh didnt start to click until Battier and Chalmers stepped in the starting lineup with them. Resigning PG, OKC gonna have a hard time adding quality role players with no money. Getting two quality role players with Melos money is n oppurtunity that they cant pass.

TJ also fits as a bench guy that can create some offense. I've wanted him the last couple years.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#2540 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Yeah this seems reasonable. Been tossed around the trade board a bit too. Kinda like it for both.

TJ also fits as a bench guy that can create some offense. I've wanted him the last couple years.

Tax wise it comes down to this (assuming George re-signs for the 5 year Max, no other deals made):

1) Thunder stay pat

$ 84 million tax 18/19, $ 0 million tax 19/20, $ 0 million tax 20/21

2) Thunder make the aforementioned deal

$ 102 million tax 18/19, $ 60 million tax 19/20, $ 0 million tax 20/21

You really can't do that trade for both of them. You might get serviceable players, but the tax bill becomes even bigger.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder