Total votes: 15

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Re: 11/19 | G16: Oklahoma City Thunder at Sacramento Kings - 9PM CST 

Post#161 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Knrstz wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Jerami Grant has sucked all year long when driving to the rim. I don't know why, but it's not getting better.

Two years ago when we used Jerami more on the wing, the only thing he could do was hit a corner three. Every time he drove to the basket he would fall down. Last year when he was in the post more he really improved his finishing. Now with Noel on the roster he’s spending less time at the five. He’s back to hitting his threes at a decent clip but can’t finish at the basket. His versatility doesn’t seem to translate game to game like the coaches want.

Grant’s calling card is his defense. When Grant drives to the basket, he picks up fouls and that’s where his value lies in driving. When he’s on, he’s a mismatch.

Last night, Grant had to play at the 5 quite a lot with Noel being out. When he was playing at the 4, he had the difficult duty of trying to provide help defense at the rim because Westbrook was letting everybody drive by him and then he had to go and close out on Bjelica who is virtually automatic from 3.

It was a weird game for him because of him playing the 5 and Westbrook’s terrible defense whereas he usually provides excellent backline defense but it’s almost impossible to do that when everyone is blowing by Westbrook.

Also, the Kings have a really good back up 5 of their own in Marvin Bagley. I said it before the draft and I’ll say it again. Bagley is Grant 2.0. He’s going to be a better rebounder, better shot maker, better defender (if he wants to be). He’s just got a nice frame, nice touch, nice motor. He’s bigger than Grant too. If Bagley wants to be, he can be the best pick in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#162 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm

getrichordie wrote:Also, the Kings have a really good back up 5 of their own in Marvin Bagley. I said it before the draft and I’ll say it again. Bagley is Grant 2.0. He’s going to be a better rebounder, better shot maker, better defender (if he wants to be). He’s just got a nice frame, nice touch, nice motor. He’s bigger than Grant too. If Bagley wants to be, he can be the best pick in the draft.

Bagley is already better at everything involving the game of basketball than Grant will ever be. Scoring, shooting, rebounding, blocking shots, passing, defense and ball handling all give an advantage to Bagley and at 19 he will only get better.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#163 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Grant played 6 minutes without Westbrook and was a -5 in those minutes.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#164 » by Pillendreher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm

getrichordie wrote:.

Grant's inability to drive this season has nothing to do with last night's game. It has been a theme all season long. Per stats.nba.com, Grant has driven 32 times to the basket so far. This is the result of those 32 drives:

2/18 on field goal attempts
2/6 on free throws
0 assists
5 turnovers

That leaves you with a PTS% of 18.8 %. Last season Grant was among the best in the league at a PTS% of 78.8 %.

If this early performance continues throughout the season, then Grant's drives have become all but useless. And then you get to the point where you have to ask: Whasn't that what the team was paying him for? The on thing he really improved at last season was going to the rim and finishing there. Yet he has been a complete non-factor there.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#165 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

Grant's inability to drive this season has nothing to do with last night's game. It has been a theme all season long. Per stats.nba.com, Grant has driven 32 times to the basket so far. This is the result of those 32 drives:

2/6 on free throws
0 assists
5 turnovers

That leaves you with a PTS% of 18.8 %. Last season Grant was among the best in the league at a PTS% of 78.8 %.

If this early performance continues throughout the season, then Grant's drives have become all but useless. And then you get to the point where you have to ask: Whasn't that what the team was paying him for? The on thing he really improved at last season was going to the rim and finishing there. Yet he has been a complete non-factor there.

I don’t think those stats are accurate.

Per basketballreference.com, Grant has attempted 47% of his shots between 0-3 ft. He has made 63.5% of those attempts.

[twitter] @thunderdustin
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#166 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:44 pm

CTG has him at 63% at the rim as well. Thats unfortunately the 36th percentile, so he's not good at it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#167 » by Pillendreher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

2/6 on free throws
0 assists
5 turnovers

Per basketballreference.com, Grant has attempted 47% of his shots between 0-3 ft. He has made 63.5% of those attempts.

So? I did not post those stats. He's been making buckets when he's got an open path to the rim. He's been horrible when he's driving with a defender infront of him.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#168 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:20 pm

getrichordie wrote:I don’t think those stats are accurate.

Just because you got a shot at the rim does not mean you drove to the rim. Cutting to the rim is a real thing. basketballreference also says that 79% of Grant's 2pt shots have been on an assist. He has taken 88 FGA on 2pt shots. 47% means 42 at the rim. Take out the 18 on drives and that leaves 24 from cutting, fast breaks, etc. That easily explains the shooting percentage difference for 0-3 ft and the high percentage of assists on made buckets.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#169 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

2/6 on free throws
0 assists
5 turnovers

So? I did not post those stats. He's been making buckets when he's got an open path to the rim. He's been horrible when he's driving with a defender infront of him.

I agree Grant has a hard time driving with a defender in front of him, but he contributes in a lot of other ways. Driving is not the only way to contribute, but yes he should be better.

[twitter] @thunderdustin
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#170 » by Pillendreher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:15 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I agree Grant has a hard time driving with a defender in front of him, but he contributes in a lot of other ways. Driving is not the only way to contribute, but yes he should be better.

The question still reamains though. So far he's been able to contribute by converting on wide open attempts at the rim (transition, etc.) and on corner 3s. What if the latter regresses to his historical mean? Where is positive offensive value coming from?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#171 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

The question still reamains though. So far he's been able to contribute by converting on wide open attempts at the rim (transition, etc.) and on corner 3s. What if the latter regresses to his historical mean? Where is positive offensive value coming from?

Positive offensive value is coming from ability to hid wide open 3s. He’s 35.6% on the year. And defense turns into offense. He’s a big part of our masterful defense which gets us more possessions via deflections, steals, etc. He is also decent at drawing fouls and is a solid rebounder given his role.

[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder