OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Clav
Starter
And1: 1,617

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#161 » by Clav » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm

It's crazy OKC's highest-paid player this year is Favors at $9.7 M. The Thunder have $33 M in cap space, so there's ample opportunity to take on a lot in terms of salary coming back.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#162 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:09 pm

Clav wrote:It's crazy OKC's highest-paid player this year is Favors at $9.7 M. The Thunder have $33 M in cap space, so there's ample opportunity to take on a lot in terms of salary coming back.

i mean. we're technically paying kemba walker a lot of money.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,617

Post#163 » by Clav » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 am

slick_watts wrote:
Clav wrote:It's crazy OKC's highest-paid player this year is Favors at $9.7 M. The Thunder have $33 M in cap space, so there's ample opportunity to take on a lot in terms of salary coming back.

i mean. we're technically paying kemba walker a lot of money.

We can't trade that, but you're right!
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,110

Post#164 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 am

Not a big Reddish fan but the Knicks package was easy to beat...We could have used him.
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#165 » by Woerzboerg » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:53 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Trade deadline soon and I have no idea what we should do (probably because our roster is trash). Also not worth taking a bad contract for a bad pick.

Ideally: get some additional 2023 Firstrounddraftpicks, ideally non- or just lightly proteced. This 2023 draft will be stacked and we need more trade-ammo and opportunitys for this draftnight.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#166 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:39 pm

Woerzboerg wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Trade deadline soon and I have no idea what we should do (probably because our roster is trash). Also not worth taking a bad contract for a bad pick.

Ideally: get some additional 2023 Firstrounddraftpicks, ideally non- or just lightly proteced. This 2023 draft will be stacked and we need more trade-ammo and opportunitys for this draftnight.

it was easier to get FRPs when we had good/decent players to trade.Also not a lot of teams are willing to give up picks to get rid of bad contracts (most good teams lack picks).

You would need to take on a massive contract to get a lightly protected 2023 FRP anyway. This isn't happening.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#167 » by Devilanche » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:32 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
Woerzboerg wrote:

it was easier to get FRPs when we had good/decent players to trade.Also not a lot of teams are willing to give up picks to get rid of bad contracts (most good teams lack picks).

You would need to take on a massive contract to get a lightly protected 2023 FRP anyway. This isn't happening.

Yea we run out of reasonable asset worth a first . We probably in the salary dump for seconds or top 20 protected first now.

The flip side is that a lot of the potential contenders doesn’t really have first to trade too so there’s not much ammo out there . And those with ammo are probably going wait it out for Simmons whether they want Simmons or whether it’s a 3 way with whoever get Simmons and Philly .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#168 » by slick_watts » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 pm

reddish sucks. if we're trading a 1st looking for some upside go for mitchell robinson, or mo bamba.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#169 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:18 pm

Its extremely frustrating to me that the Cavs got Allen in that trade last year. When are we going to swing a genuine roster building move like that instead of just being a dumping ground for other teams' contracts they don't want? Say what you want about Reddish, at least there some upside there. And we have a million picks. Why wouldn't you take a swing on someone like that?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#170 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:01 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Its extremely frustrating to me that the Cavs got Allen in that trade last year. When are we going to swing a genuine roster building move like that instead of just being a dumping ground for other teams' contracts they don't want? Say what you want about Reddish, at least there some upside there. And we have a million picks. Why wouldn't you take a swing on someone like that?

I get that perspective, but I have to think that those moves are more in line with this summer/early next year. Getting players that help you win undermines the ability to draft high. I think the plan is to have as much young, cheap talent while also being able to sign win now players.

That said, I don’t know that getting more draft picks at this point is especially helpful. I don’t think most teams are going to want 3 midrange first rounders. Additionally, agents are going to steer their players away from OKC if they know that there aren’t any developmental minutes available. Presti can establish all the goodwill in the world by “doing right” by players, but if there isn’t playing time, no one will want to be drafted. Then all of that culture he’s worked to establish is going to have a bunch of malcontents.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#171 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:23 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Its extremely frustrating to me that the Cavs got Allen in that trade last year. When are we going to swing a genuine roster building move like that instead of just being a dumping ground for other teams' contracts they don't want? Say what you want about Reddish, at least there some upside there. And we have a million picks. Why wouldn't you take a swing on someone like that?

I get that perspective, but I have to think that those moves are more in line with this summer/early next year. Getting players that help you win undermines the ability to draft high. I think the plan is to have as much young, cheap talent while also being able to sign win now players.

That said, I don’t know that getting more draft picks at this point is especially helpful. I don’t think most teams are going to want 3 midrange first rounders. Additionally, agents are going to steer their players away from OKC if they know that there aren’t any developmental minutes available. Presti can establish all the goodwill in the world by “doing right” by players, but if there isn’t playing time, no one will want to be drafted. Then all of that culture he’s worked to establish is going to have a bunch of malcontents.

I've had that exact thought. Like, we've got 3 firsts this year. Ours will certainly be lottery, we may get the Clippers pick that could be lottery (and then the Suns that you wouldn't expect to be as high/good a player but who knows, right?). I mean WTF? Where are the minutes?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#172 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:47 pm

We are nearing a crossroads. Get a good pick that is a star this year and we are fine. Miss out on one because we win too many games and we start heading down the path of a failed rebuild with a low ceiling team.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#173 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:02 pm

This next draft is huge for us. Should be the last one (or first and only :() with a high draft pick if we want to build our team around SGA.

We basically need 2 things for this rebuild to go quickly in the right direction: SGA playing at a high level and draft a future star with our next pick. The rest we can solve easily with our collection of draft picks. Our draft capital allows us to do the easy part (trade for good role player etc.) but we still need some lottery luck and draft the right guy.

I'm frustrated with how things are going and would love to make a lot of trades to try to improve our roster but it's probably better to wait this offseason (except if a big opportunity appears)
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#174 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:We are nearing a crossroads. Get a good pick that is a star this year and we are fine. Miss out on one because we win too many games and we start heading down the path of a failed rebuild with a low ceiling team.

I think so too. The possibility of becoming the Pre-CP3 suns where we have one really good player, a bunch of decent-ish players, and ultimately go nowhere is right there. We've got to do something to dramatically improve the trajectory/odds of improving. Hopefully the draft comes through, but its starting to feel risky to just bet everything on that given the uncertainties of even securing a decent pick let alone the uncertainty of picking the right player on the board. Why couldn't we have been the Cavs or Raptors last season where we jumped several spots. DAMMIT. Either of Barnes or Mobley would have been amazing here.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#175 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:We are nearing a crossroads. Get a good pick that is a star this year and we are fine. Miss out on one because we win too many games and we start heading down the path of a failed rebuild with a low ceiling team.

And as far as I can tell, it looks like this draft sucks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#176 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 pm

jake_swivel wrote:

And as far as I can tell, it looks like this draft sucks.

Looks like a normal draft to me. 2020 was even worse but 2 of the 3 top picks (Lamelo and Edwards) are still future all stars/superstars.

2021 was just too good...wrong draft to get unlucky. I have the first pick in the next draft being worth the #4 in 2021. Chet won't be as good as Mobley but he still looks pretty solid.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#177 » by jake_swivel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:28 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Looks like a normal draft to me. 2020 was even worse but 2 of the 3 top picks (Lamelo and Edwards) are still future all stars/superstars.

2021 was just too good...wrong draft to get unlucky. I have the first pick in the next draft being worth the #4 in 2021. Chet won't be as good as Mobley but he still looks pretty solid.

Normal drafts have at least 1 or 2 prospects that people consider to can't miss future all-stars, if not superstars. I don't see any of those guys in this draft. And it doesn't seem particularly deep either.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#178 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:44 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Looks like a normal draft to me. 2020 was even worse but 2 of the 3 top picks (Lamelo and Edwards) are still future all stars/superstars.

Normal drafts have at least 1 or 2 prospects that people consider to can't miss future all-stars, if not superstars. I don't see any of those guys in this draft. And it doesn't seem particularly deep either.

I don't think the hype in 2017 to 2020 draft was higher except for Zion in 2019. Trae Young/Doncic hype wasn't crazy. Edwards/Lamelo hype wasn't high either. I have Chet/Banchero/Jabari close to average hype in a draft without a clear crazy good prospect.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a great draft class but don't think it's that terrible either. Still a very good chance to hit on a future all star...probably a future superstar in the mix but need luck/draft well.

2023 should be stronger but if we have a high pick by then is because we failed somehow :(
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#179 » by bondom34 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 am

Posted/deleted but been a while.

1. This draft isn't great, Vecenie had 0 tier 1 guys, some tier 2 I believe. They need more talent than a single draft will provide.

2. They're still going to be bad in 2023 (not sure how bad but bad). Rebuilds take time. And wouldn't worry about culture, from all I've read anywhere guys seem to love it and the org has done well with it.

They just started a rebuild, and yep they will likely need some lotto luck but that was always a given. Memphis got it and ended up wit Morant, just have to have patience and roll with it. I know it doesn't help anyone but just enjoy the ride, I've enjoyed this year a ton. And all the rookies have shown at least some promise. If I had to guess maybe summer 2023 they do something when they have cap space and (hopefully) another high pick or two. Its all supposed to be fun, its a process but so far its been fun (edit: overall at least, sure there have been downs but ups too).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#180 » by jake_swivel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:09 am

bondom34 wrote: They're still going to be bad in 2023 (not sure how bad but bad). Rebuilds take time. And wouldn't worry about culture, from all I've read anywhere guys seem to love it and the org has done well with it.

They’ll be in the playoffs in 2023.

And the culture won’t be the same when there are 3 first rounders and multiple 2nd round picks coming through. And dudes who have been a pet of the culture being traded or released. And that’s going to happen a ton.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder