Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#181 » by bondom34 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:43 am

jake_swivel wrote:
bondom34 wrote: They're still going to be bad in 2023 (not sure how bad but bad). Rebuilds take time. And wouldn't worry about culture, from all I've read anywhere guys seem to love it and the org has done well with it.

They’ll be in the playoffs in 2023.

And the culture won’t be the same when there are 3 first rounders and multiple 2nd round picks coming through. And dudes who have been a pet of the culture being traded or released. And that’s going to happen a ton.

Next season (2022-23)? I'm struggling to see that, everything they've done so far indicates a longer term thinking. Best case I'm figuring maybe the playin in 2024, if things go okay. And think Presti is focused on really high end talent and building through the draft.

And culture has been consistent and good with the org for years, no matter who's been around. It seems even guys like Muscala/Williams are enjoying the time. I really don't see any cause for concern and OKC has been for a long time a franchise with a good internal culture.

But back to the original note, would be shocked if they didn't do something at the deadline, idk what. Teams will want to duck the tax/shave some money and they have so much to spend even if they don't have offseason cap space. Also wouldn't be shocked if Bazley was traded but he's been better of late too so idk.

Won't lie I'm a bit confused at the sudden concern, its a rebuild, they don't take just a year even if you have a really good player. Not from you, or anyone in particular, just in general, this has been a pretty darn positive season from all I've seen. Was hoping to quell it a bit and maybe get some folks to just enjoy the ride too, idk what comes of it but so far they've started well imo. Ultimately a rebuild needs some luck, and they chose the best of a bunch of bad options if they want to win a title, they might not get lucky much but have a pretty darn solid asset base to work with.

Mainly posted to try to quell some concern, but that's just how I tend to feel on it, taking things as they come (and I've enjoyed it so far tbh) :D.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#182 » by bondom34 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:38 am

Also the last time I said I felt like things were going well they proceeded to play like whatever the basketball equivalent of a trainwreck is for like a week or so so who knows lol.

But ultimately so much of them ending up well comes to some random chance and good fortune, but they've done their part well so far. Don't see any cause for concern personally :D.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#183 » by jake_swivel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 am

bondom34 wrote:Next season (2022-23)? I'm struggling to see that, everything they've done so far indicates a longer term thinking. Best case I'm figuring maybe the playin in 2024, if things go okay.

I meant year after next. But I do think they’ll be in the play-in next year. I think there will be trades/signings of win now players over the summer. This team isn’t trying to win right now. They’ll look much better next year.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#184 » by bondom34 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 am

jake_swivel wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Next season (2022-23)? I'm struggling to see that, everything they've done so far indicates a longer term thinking. Best case I'm figuring maybe the playin in 2024, if things go okay.

I meant year after next. But I do think they’ll be in the play-in next year. I think there will be trades/signings of win now players over the summer. This team isn’t trying to win right now. They’ll look much better next year.

Ah OK. Still disagree but think that I'm bumped back a year at least, I'm expecting a bit more long term though (and think making it next year could set them back long term but it all depends on so many factors that aren't known, getting a high pick that year might be the best path). And at least in part since they still have Walker's dead money so don't really have the ability to do much this offseason anyway, so can't really make any signings, that dead money being there to me was a pretty big sign that next season is another lottery one. Think its 2 years, then see.

Ultimately they're at a point where they have so many possibly paths forward that give hope (well along with the fact that tbh I've just enjoyed this team, think they've been promising in a lot of ways).

Granted the playin is a low enough bar they probably could get to 10 without trying terribly hard, heck I'm not sure Portland wants to be there this season but can't seem to fall out :lol:. Just not certain its a good thing to chase that and miss out on a shot at another really good player, which they need. And not sure they're experienced enough yet either.

Edit: Will say this though, even 2 years I don't like putting anything concrete on. Rebuilds are weird, you never know how things break or when, which I guess is part of why I'm just along for the ride.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#185 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:17 pm

bondom34 wrote:Won't lie I'm a bit confused at the sudden concern[/b], its a rebuild, they don't take just a year even if you have a really good player.

Speaking for myself I think its two things

1. Really feel like the way they changed the odds in the lottery hurts our ability to manufacture a contender here a lot. Not impossible but you need luck as we've been saying and the downside of that is you've got even more probability for an inconsequential or bust draft.

2. I don't feel like they players they picked thus far necessarily go together if they're worth keeping at all. Giddey and SGA in particular don't seem like a natural fit to me. GIddey needs the ball to orchestrate and do what he does best. He's terrible off the ball because his shooting is bad. SGA is best with the ball and a chance to isolate and drive to the rim. If GIddey figures out some semblance of offensive game the concerns ease somewhat.

Poku (first pick of the rebuild era) was just a wasted draft pick. I'm calling it. Dude can't play. If you're building through the draft you have no margin for error and that's a clear miss.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by bondom34 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:00 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Won't lie I'm a bit confused at the sudden concern[/b], its a rebuild, they don't take just a year even if you have a really good player.

1. Really feel like the way they changed the odds in the lottery hurts our ability to manufacture a contender here a lot. Not impossible but you need luck as we've been saying and the downside of that is you've got even more probability for an inconsequential or bust draft.

2. I don't feel like they players they picked thus far necessarily go together if they're worth keeping at all. Giddey and SGA in particular don't seem like a natural fit to me. GIddey needs the ball to orchestrate and do what he does best. He's terrible off the ball because his shooting is bad. SGA is best with the ball and a chance to isolate and drive to the rim. If GIddey figures out some semblance of offensive game the concerns ease somewhat.

Poku (first pick of the rebuild era) was just a wasted draft pick. I'm calling it. Dude can't play. If you're building through the draft you have no margin for error and that's a clear miss.

TBH don't think we're that far off in some of this stuff, just a lot less concern from my end, they're so so early in this process with so many assets and pathways most of it isn't overly consequential.

1. I agree totally, but this was a given. Rebuilds are hard, they're supposed to take time, and harder in smaller/non-glamor markets. OKC having basically zero rebuild the first time was a huge anomaly looking through NBA history. TBH even in this regard OKC is pretty well ahead of the pack and I'd rather be in their spot than pretty much any other rebuild I can think of right now given both assets/players and management. Can't think of another one actually I'd rather.

2. I actually really like the fit of SGA with another playmaker/ballhandler. And there's some belief in Giddey's shot coming around a bit (it has of late but small sample so withholding judgement from me). I've liked it from day 1. And think SGA offball is a good avenue as he has played with multi-guard lineups a good bit with success.

With the Poku pick, yeah there I think he's not an NBA player too most likely. But again, see what they were going for and the only guy who was of real consequence who went after him was Maxey (who tbh I liked at the time from memory as well). And with margin of error they actually do have some due to sheer number of picks, that's built in and why accumulating so many was important.

Before going in to anything, they're going to miss on picks, everyone has/does/will for forever and won't hit 100% (and more likely 50% at that point in the draft). Having a billion picks became a running gag but the draft is to some extent a bunch of unknown things, and knowing you're going to have some misses along the way but padding the odds for yourself helps. Even getting a top 4-5 pick you have to know there's a shot of missing, and them having this many picks helps for just that reason (and is kinda part of why I figure there's at least gotta be a few more lotto picks incoming). So they're basically a year-ish into a rebuild, with more assets than anyone has ever accumulated and somewhat of a solid talent base. Rebuilds are hard and time consuming. They just can't rush things either. Everything that's a concern now was a concern when they started the rebuild and made moves to accumulate assets, and so far they've largely made good moves IMO, which I guess is why I'm confused.

Edit: And wrt the whole thing, yep there are a ton more ways things don't end perfectly than they do. But again, that was always a given. Which I guess is why I'm just sort of along for the ride at this point, its a world of possibility and most of the last bunch of years was stressing out about wins, now there's just a lot of unknown and no reason for concern/worry to me. Still really early in a rebuild, with a bunch of players who've shown promise. Yep, there are concerns but they were always gonna be there either way, which (I keep repeating it lol) is kinda why I'm just rolling with it.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,072

Post#187 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:21 pm

Old Man Game wrote:

I like the new lottery odds but they are terrible for us :(

SGA/Giddey fit isn't great but I think Giddey will improve his shot so it won't be that bad...also they are both smart players so I believe they can make it work. Main issue is that we need to surround SGA/Giddey/Dort with 2 elite shooters or we are screwed (main reason why I think trading Dort for fair value is not a bad thing).

Poku cost us 2 late FRPs...never believed in him but I'm fine with Presti willing to gamble on a prospect with a high ceiling (better than trading #16 for two bad picks :banghead: )
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#188 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:05 am

You think Presti would ever shift the timeline and trade Giddey/picks for Jaylen Brown? Wondering about Celtics' future, obviously
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#189 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:You think Presti would ever shift the timeline and trade Giddey/picks for Jaylen Brown? Wondering about Celtics' future, obviously

Presti made it clear that he wouldn't rush the rebuild (things can change but don't think he will make significant moves before the 2023 offseason). Also don't think he's willing to trade Giddey and picks for 2 years of Jaylen Brown.

Presti may change his mind if Tatum wants to be a Thunder though :lol:
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#190 » by Devilanche » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:58 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:You think Presti would ever shift the timeline and trade Giddey/picks for Jaylen Brown? Wondering about Celtics' future, obviously

Presti made it clear that he wouldn't rush the rebuild (things can change but don't think he will make significant moves before the 2023 offseason). Also don't think he's willing to trade Giddey and picks for 2 years of Jaylen Brown.

Presti may change his mind if Tatum wants to be a Thunder though :lol:

With kemba dead money it gets trickier but if we got a core of SGA , max guy , Tatum/Brown it might be likely but at the current trajectory , I want hold on to giddey . I think his shot can turn around .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#191 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:20 am

Yeah yeah ok. Just wondering if there'd be a scenario where Boston would want to take a step back and OKC a step forward. Like, Clips miss the playoffs, jump into the top 3, you have the first and third or second and fourth picks.. Could deal Giddey/one pick for Brown, use the other or trade it for a third star..

My money's on SGA being dealt in a year or two as your 2021 and 2022 draft classes mature..
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#192 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:41 am

Boston needs to trade Brown for Simmons. It seems obvious to me.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#193 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:SGA/Giddey fit isn't great but I think Giddey will improve his shot so it won't be that bad...also they are both smart players so I believe they can make it work. Main issue is that we need to surround SGA/Giddey/Dort with 2 elite shooters or we are screwed (main reason why I think trading Dort for fair value is not a bad thing).

Poku cost us 2 late FRPs...never believed in him but I'm fine with Presti willing to gamble on a prospect with a high ceiling (better than trading #16 for two bad picks :banghead: )

Watching Dwight Powell for the Mavs last night I was reminded of how that was the same draft as his buddy Josh Huestis. I know we're years beyond this now and its mostly inconsequential, but for me, THAT was still the absolute most too clever by half move of Presti's drafting career. I'd have rather drafted a Euro draft and stash than that. Heck, I'd have rather turned it into two late 2nds than that. Was just an obnoxiously idiotic idea to give a first round guaranteed contract to a guy projected to go late second to undrafted and do it, solely because he agreed to it (tacit admissioon he knew his prospects were dim).
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#194 » by Devilanche » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:44 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Yeah yeah ok. Just wondering if there'd be a scenario where Boston would want to take a step back and OKC a step forward. Like, Clips miss the playoffs, jump into the top 3, you have the first and third or second and fourth picks.. Could deal Giddey/one pick for Brown, use the other or trade it for a third star..

My money's on SGA being dealt in a year or two as your 2021 and 2022 draft classes mature..

If I’m dealing giddey + 4th , I’m looking for someone better than brown.

I would then be forced to try and move for a 3rd person or hope that my high draft pick is able to contribute immediately.

I’m honestly not sure what would be the right move for the Celtics but it’s definitely not getting younger.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#195 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:54 am

What's the read on Ty Jerome? I feel like we might be able to get into a 3 team trade with him. Like if a team is dealing a PG and just needs a semi plausible option coming back in the deal along with their main acquisition. Maybe turn him into a protected 2nd or something.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#196 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm

with a small market, luck is a necessary ingredient for a rebuild. we got unlucky in the lottery. if the team keeps getting unlucky, it's not likely we'll be able to build a contender. i'm not concerned with how giddey and sga fit together. the team is so talent deficient that talent acquisition irrespective of roster construction is what i would pursue.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#197 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:22 pm

We were lucky. Giddey would be at least 3rd or 4th pick today.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#198 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:We were lucky. Giddey would be at least 3rd or 4th pick today.

I would easily pick any other player from the top 5 over Giddey ( except Suggs probably but it's not a no brainer)

Also Wagner and Kuminga still have a decent shot to become better players than Giddey

I like Giddey a lot but he will need to improve a lot and he isn't on the same tier as Mobley/Barnes/Cade.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 816

Post#199 » by 1bigfan13 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 pm

bondom34 wrote:

With the Poku pick, yeah there I think he's not an NBA player too most likely. But again, see what they were going for and the only guy who was of real consequence who went after him was Maxey (who tbh I liked at the time from memory as well). And with margin of error they actually do have some due to sheer number of picks, that's built in and why accumulating so many was important.

Desmond Bane was still on the board as well. He's the guy who I and several other OKC fans were hoping for.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#200 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:31 am

I come in peace.

If you'll indulge me, I'd like to find out a few OKC fans' critical thinking on this trade.

Why OKC does it
My non-OKC-fan pereption is that this deal primarily boils down to giving up 1.5 seasons of Kenrich Williams in exchange for moving up in the 2022 draft, ostensibly probably by 3-ish slots.

Why ATL does it
ATL has a hole behind Dre Hunter that Kenrich Williams would fill especially well. The rest of the trade where ATL is concerned is largely to make the salaries match. Important drawback here is that Favors seems likely to opt in, and $10m is stiff for a guy who projects to be your #3 center and #3 PF in 2022-23. But I do it. Besides there's sentimental value in the Ga Tech Yellowjacket coming home before he decides to hang up the sneakers.

One could say, "Why not just simplify it to TLC plus the draft pick flip for Williams?"

I figured OKC would want a little more than that. Taking on Favors $10m from the OKC payroll, while I'm sure it's not anything approaching an important priority, nonetheless seems prudent.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder