2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,377

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#361 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I just watch the way Josh plays and they're just times where it's obvious if the guy had a lick of consistent offense he'd be a lot more dominant player. Outside of Mobley he might have the highest upside of this class. The guy orchestrates the offense so well. It's a bit Chris Paul-like.

Like think about it, you know how Chris Paul has that elbow jumper he can get to. If Josh just had one move like that it would open up so many other things for him and you couple that with his innate ability to see the floor and see passing angles and you're just talking about a whole different level of dude.
Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

It's much easier to see him improving his shot than someone like Bazley. I don't think he ever becomes over 40% but being able to knock down an open three would be huge. He's big enough that he'll be able to get to the rim easier as he gets stronger.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#362 » by slick_watts » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:58 pm

i think kuminga has a higher ceiling than giddey. it was out of character for presti not to take him. i'm still surprised. he pops off the screen when you watch him. maybe that was always a troy weaver thing. who knows.

giddey has a future as a connecting player rather than an engine unless he can create his own offense. his shot is so ugly.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#363 » by slick_watts » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:58 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I want a Chet/Poku frontcourt. Could be the weirdest (but good) duo in NBA history.

this is possibly illegal, and certainly immoral.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,297

Post#364 » by Old Man Game » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:35 pm

slick_watts wrote:i think kuminga has a higher ceiling than giddey. it was out of character for presti not to take him. i'm still surprised. he pops off the screen when you watch him. maybe that was always a troy weaver thing. who knows.

giddey has a future as a connecting player rather than an engine unless he can create his own offense. his shot is so ugly.
It's very unusual for a player with his obvious ball skills and comfort with the ball in his hands to have such terrible form. Makes me wonder what went wrong in the kid's skill development.

QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,900

Post#365 » by QPR » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:50 am

Giddey's dad was a real blue collar type of player, so it's entirely possible he just never learned the mechanics. Plus he's like a lot of Aussie kids in that he played multiple sports before focusing on one specifically in his mid-teens.

The passing and vision is something else though. Plus he has a point of difference in that he is an ambidextrous passer - he has pretty much already trademarked the Jokic style baseball pass off the dribble, and he can do it with either hand so you can't defend a certain side.

One thing I do like is he doesn't shy away from shooting like Simmons does. He will happily let it fly (and tbf has hit a few big threes) so if he doesn't improve much as a shooter it won't be through lack of effort or fear.

At the end of the day he's 19 years old. If you can't get excited about what he's doing because he has a bad jumper then the issue may be more you than him!
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 91

Post#366 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm

QPR wrote:Giddey's dad was a real blue collar type of player, so it's entirely possible he just never learned the mechanics. Plus he's like a lot of Aussie kids in that he played multiple sports before focusing on one specifically in his mid-teens.

The passing and vision is something else though. Plus he has a point of difference in that he is an ambidextrous passer - he has pretty much already trademarked the Jokic style baseball pass off the dribble, and he can do it with either hand so you can't defend a certain side.

One thing I do like is he doesn't shy away from shooting like Simmons does. He will happily let it fly (and tbf has hit a few big threes) so if he doesn't improve much as a shooter it won't be through lack of effort or fear.

At the end of the day he's 19 years old. If you can't get excited about what he's doing because he has a bad jumper then the issue may be more you than him!

Absolutely. He is only 19 years old . Has already 2 triple doubles, and is 3 x rookie of the month in the west in 3 month !
What does we want more. I'm sure his shooting will improve with the years as it will be to limit turnovers.
Great steal in this year draft at no 6. We can be happy for this draft after the bad ping pong balls.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,353

Post#367 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:22 am

I like Dort but the team is more fun to watch when he isn't playing (without SGA).

Bazley playing very well. Still don't trust him long term but he could be such a good player if he wanted
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#368 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:15 am

Can’t be mad about tonight.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#369 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:31 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Can’t be mad about tonight.

mad that the Clippers won

OKC had a perfect night with Giddey/Mann/Bazley. Can't complain about that.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#370 » by Old Man Game » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:40 pm

Tonight was a good example of the theoretical upside if he gets the offense figured out.

Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#371 » by Old Man Game » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:44 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

I think we need to entertain the possibility Ty Lue is the best coach in the league.

*Everyone on the roster gets injured. Ty Lue grabs five guys out of the stands. Wins game.*

Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#372 » by Old Man Game » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:52 pm

The Knicks team forum thread on last night's game is pretty hilarious. God bless those folks. Makes me really appreciate our ownership and front office.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#373 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:00 pm

Old Man Game wrote:The Knicks team forum thread on last night's game is pretty hilarious. God bless those folks. Makes me really appreciate our ownership and front office.

Thibs has a shelf life of about six months.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#374 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

I think we need to entertain the possibility Ty Lue is the best coach in the league.

*Everyone on the roster gets injured. Ty Lue grabs five guys out of the stands. Wins game.*

yeah Doc fired is the worst thing that happened to the Thunder in the last 2 years.

I'm pissed we will likely get a 16-18 pick but it would be 25-30 if Kawhi/PG13 were healthy.

Clippers FO is doing a fantastic job (drafting well, developing rookies in the right way, making good tades) and they have such a rich owner that's it's going to be difficult for them to be a mess from 2024 to 2026 but time will tell.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#375 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:39 pm

We are really overperforming without Shai and while guys like Bazley and Mann stepping up is huge, I think this is mainly due to Giddey's elite passing skill/high BBIQ. He just need a decent shot and some athleticism to finish at the rim to become a top PG.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#376 » by slick_watts » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:07 pm

you can be excited about josh giddey and concerned about his shooting at the same time.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#377 » by Devilanche » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:41 am

Dadouv47 wrote:

At this point just expect the clippers pick to be in 20s
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#378 » by Old Man Game » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:51 pm

Didn't get to to see the game last night. I will say being on 'trip dub' watch again is at once exciting (because it means we have a player) and a little depressing (because in our case its sort of a best available substitute for watching a team that's actually good).

I want to be on 50 win season watch again. Remember those halcyon days of yesteryear?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#379 » by slick_watts » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:00 pm

the triple double stuff is annoying, to me. it just becomes the narrative of josh giddey and overwhelms any sane conversation about his game. giddey's night wouldn't have been any different if he hadn't secured that last defensive rebound. but the triple double is all that anyone cares about once it happens, even though achieving one doesn't have any additional practical ramifications.

giddey is putting up 16/9/8 on ~53% ts in the 13 games he's played that shai has missed and that's impressive. but he's also shooting 40% on floaters for the year (1/4 of his shot attempts) and 40% eFG from three on the year (1/3 of his shot attempts), and that should get some attention, also.

one of the blue checkmark thunder guys on twitter mentioned they would take their life for josh giddey to get another rebound for the triple double. i mean, i get being a fan and all. but it's so cloyingly over the top. i honestly think a lot of fans prefer the state of the team now versus when it was at its peak competitiveness.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#380 » by Old Man Game » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:53 pm

More I think of it a triple double is like mashed potatoes. It's good and I appreciate having them, but they shouldn't be the whole meal. At this point I feel like they are our whole meal and I just don't feel satisfied with just eating potatoes.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder