2018 Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread 

Post#4021 » by slick_watts » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:17 pm

when you look at it from a factor level, this team wasn't even better than league average at anything offensively besides offensive rebounding with russell westbrook on the court last season. and that's mostly to do with steven adams.

thunder were top 5 or so every season both efg and ft/fga every season kd was here except the foot season. this was a kd driven thing, mostly. not only just FTr but also FT%, they went from perennial top of the league in ft% to the bottom. sort of a double whammy-- don't get to the line as much and when they do get there, don't make as many.

i still don't see a reliable solution on this roster. they are not going to shoot threes well enough for efg to get anywhere close to top 5. westbrook recovering some ft% would help ft/fga but is it enough? doubt it.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#4022 » by Pillendreher » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Interestingly enough, the Thunder still had a Top 10 offense last season; both stats.nba.com and basketball reference have them at 7th in ORtG at 109.9 pp100p (stats.nba.com; +2.2 pp100p better than league average) / 110.7 pp100p (basketball reference; +2.1 pp100p better than league average). Where does that come from with them grading rather poorly in four factors overall? Is that due to being the best team at forcing turnovers and grabbing offensive rebounds last season, ie them managing to generate extra cracks at the basket (afaik offensive rebounds don't count as new possessions, but steals do) to make up for their lack of efficiency in points per possession otherwise? nbawowy.com offers "prior event stats". According to that, 19.5 % of our FGA have come after offensive rebounds and steals. The average percentage for the rest of the Top 10 in ORtG in that regard is 15.9 %. :-?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4023 » by slick_watts » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Interestingly enough, the Thunder still had a Top 10 offense last season; both stats.nba.com and basketball reference have them at 7th in ORtG at 109.9 pp100p (stats.nba.com; +2.2 pp100p better than league average) / 110.7 pp100p (basketball reference; +2.1 pp100p better than league average). Where does that come from with them grading rather poorly in four factors overall? Is that due to being the best team at forcing turnovers and grabbing offensive rebounds last season, ie them managing to generate extra cracks at the basket (afaik offensive rebounds don't count as new possessions, but steals do) to make up for their lack of efficiency in points per possession otherwise? nbawowy.com offers "prior event stats". According to that, 19.5 % of our FGA have come after offensive rebounds and steals. The average percentage for the rest of the Top 10 in ORtG in that regard is 15.9 %. :-?

it's offensive rebounding. 27.7% orb was #1 with quite a bit of separation from #2. thunder were outliers on orb similar to golden state on efg, to give that some perspective.

it gets even more insane when you isolate the adams-westbrook pairing which was at 35.3% orb last year, and played over 2k minutes. nearly 4% higher than the next closest non-okc pair with significant playing time, kanter-hardaway.

the thunder have been orb outliers since 2015-16, when they were +7.3% relative to league average. the criticism of this approach is that crashing orb makes transition defense more difficult. most of the elite defensive teams with the exception of memphis over the years eschewed crashing the offensive glass. that is tough to assess these days with super high 3Pr though.

also they weren't that bad as a team on tov% but a lot of that is high usage melo who sucked but his one strong point is he never turns the ball over. i expect tov% to go up some this year.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#4024 » by spearsy23 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=17

If you're going to clap back on Twitter this is the way to do it
See also: Lin v Martin
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,217

Post#4025 » by bondom34 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:10 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=17

This is the best reverse troll I can remember.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#4026 » by spearsy23 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 am

Joakim Noah incoming
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,372

Post#4027 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Man, some of the articles on TI are just garbage.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,311

Post#4028 » by getrichordie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Has anyone taken a look at Schroder’s numbers in the Hawks 2016-17 1st round exit? I was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
[twitter] @thunderdustin
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,462

Post#4029 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 pm

getrichordie wrote:Has anyone taken a look at Schroder’s numbers in the Hawks 2016-17 1st round exit? I was impressed.

Yeah Schroeder is a very talented player. Though I'm not surprised, I don't get the unwarranted pessimism on this board about him before he has ever played a game. They added a starting caliber guard instead of paying dead money to melo. I'm personally ecstatic that they did, they have been lacking a secondary creator for some time. Those criticising him are blinded by his advanced stats from last year when he wasn't engaged and openly unhappy playing on a tanking team. The guy has contributed to playoff level teams at a high level, and is still young. Expecting an improved thunder team this season, with him as a big part of it (along with more grant, a backup center, and hopefully 1 or 2 of abrines, diallo, and Ferguson being able to play respectable minutes when needed).
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,217

Post#4030 » by bondom34 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#4031 » by Thundershock88 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 pm

We don't really need a point guard but i wouldn't mind snagging Jawun Evans
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#4032 » by getrichordie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 am

hardenASG13 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Has anyone taken a look at Schroder’s numbers in the Hawks 2016-17 1st round exit? I was impressed.

Yeah Schroeder is a very talented player. Though I'm not surprised, I don't get the unwarranted pessimism on this board about him before he has ever played a game. They added a starting caliber guard instead of paying dead money to melo. I'm personally ecstatic that they did, they have been lacking a secondary creator for some time. Those criticising him are blinded by his advanced stats from last year when he wasn't engaged and openly unhappy playing on a tanking team. The guy has contributed to playoff level teams at a high level, and is still young. Expecting an improved thunder team this season, with him as a big part of it (along with more grant, a backup center, and hopefully 1 or 2 of abrines, diallo, and Ferguson being able to play respectable minutes when needed).

Yeah, I don’t get the pessimism either. He’s still relatively young, too. And if we want, we have him locked up for the next 3 years.

Fun fact: Schroder tied Westbrook in Offensive Box Plus/Minus in the 2016-17 playoffs. Ahead of them were only Curry, Paul, and Leonard. Schroder also ranked #7 in WS/48. Schroder also ranked top 10 in turnover percentage. (He rarely turned the ball over.)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,297

Post#4033 » by Old Man Game » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Thundershock88 wrote:We don't really need a point guard but i wouldn't mind snagging Jawun Evans

As an OSU fan I love him. But I don't think he's shown quite enough at the pro level to be worth a roster spot. Maybe one of the two way deals at most.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#4034 » by getrichordie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Thundershock88 wrote:We don't really need a point guard but i wouldn't mind snagging Jawun Evans

As an OSU fan I love him. But I don't think he's shown quite enough at the pro level to be worth a roster spot. Maybe one of the two way deals at most.

We should definitely get him on the Blue, though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,297

Post#4035 » by Old Man Game » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 pm

bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=17

This is the best reverse troll I can remember.

The mind reels considering the **** show that Durant would have come up with under similar circumstances. Something like 'Brah, ya boy @DrewforOklahoma @DrewEdmonson and @RussellWestbrook are all scrubs.'
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4036 » by slick_watts » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 pm

getrichordie wrote:Yeah, I don’t get the pessimism either.

it's not pessimism. it's realism. there's a reason atl dumped him for the negative value of melo's contract and nobody else wanted him. not even a team like phoenix, desperate for a point guard, took a serious look.

aside from him as a player-- where there are legitimate questions as to how he will fit in the minutes he is co-existing with westbrook-- he's been a problem teammate for years in the vein of reggie jackson while on top of that there's video of him committing felony assault in a bar.

he'll probably be pretty decent as a backup point guard but to behave like there are not serious fit and personality concerns is borderline dementia.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,415

Post#4037 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 am

Local sports net hosted their show before the game at Oracle.

They were set up on the end of the court where the Thunder were doing their pre game shooting.

About 30 minutes in Westbrook came out to work on those 10-12 foot pull-ups from the elbow while dribbling up from half court.

He had kinisio tape on one or both knees.

So maybe he’s closer to coming back than originally publicized.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder