Get to Know Your Thunder Fans!

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Get to Know Your Thunder Fans! 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Sun Jun 1, 2014 5:48 am

Hey all, its the offseason officially now, so thought maybe if anyone's interested we could do a thread to sort of introduce ourselves, a little blurb or whatever you'd like/feel comfortable with. I'll start:

Well, I grew up in PA, now live in Virginia, and have been a fan of a few teams. I was a Spurs fan when I was little (they were my biddy bball team's nickname), but became a Pacers fan when my mom bought me a Reggie Miller jersey. After the malace at the palace, I had a tough time cheering for that team and started to follow Lebron and the Cavs b/c I thought he seems pretty down to earth, til the decision when I really liked how KD signed his extension so low key. I instantly became a Thunder fan and have been since. I actually am a much bigger fan of Russ now, but KD's my second favorite player. I really like this team as I am a college sports fan and like to see teams grow together, similar to college teams.

I'm in my late 20s, went to college at a smaller school in PA, and grad school at Penn State. Grew up a huge PSU football fan, and still try to get to games yearly. Unfortunately I go into a mild depression for a few days after PSU lossed, but I bleed Blue and White. I also like to run and bike, and other than that follow a ton of sports, not much other TV.

Feel free to add if you're comfortable, I'd like to make the board as personable as possible!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Podirk
Senior
And1: 179

Re: Get to Know Your Thunder Fans! 

Post#2 » by Podirk » Mon Jun 2, 2014 1:42 pm

Born, raised, and will die an Okie.

God, family, Thunder...in that order unless it's the playoffs, then it's God Thunder family:)

Have a strong opinion that the better basketball was played around 20 years ago, but that's when I fell in love with the game...might be biased.
Jordan fan, the flu game, championship after his dad died, the shots, the fist pumps...good stuff. Really enjoyed watching Payton and Kemp, Stockton and Malone, Kerr, the bad boys (them losing to Chi was one of my first bball memories I remember watching). Ahhh the 90s.

Will watch and play almost any sport as long as I can talk some trash (in good spirit) and have some fun :) Tiddlywinks can be a fun game with just a little trash talk :) :)
I'm a computer nerd currently developing software for offshore oil companies and I bring my trash talk to the office.
"no more questions for you bro.......troll"
DontH8TheBrody
Junior
And1: 394

Post#3 » by DontH8TheBrody » Tue Jun 3, 2014 8:14 pm

Im from Vancouver, Canada so I am a big hockey guy.

Wasn't a huge basketball fan growing up, the Grizz were moved out of town and it just wasn't a sport that had a huge popularity here.. The Sonics are now the Thunder and were the next closest team to me besides the Grizz, so naturally I followed them to OKC. I started playing a lot more basketball with my buddies about 3 years ago, and steadily I have been becoming a die hard basketball fan.

I went from watching probably 15 Thunder games last year, all the televised ones I could, to this year buying the NBA package and watching all 82 regular season and then playoffs.. Im a fanatic now. Westbrook is by far my favourite player, can't wait to see what these guys can do in the future! Such an exciting team to be a fan of.
    PG: Westbrook/Jackson/Smith
    SG: Roberson/Morrow/Lamb
    SF: Durant/Jones/Lamb
    PF: Ibaka/Collison/McGary
    C: Adams/Perkins

THUNDER UP 0 | 35 | 9 |15 | 11 | 3 | 12
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#4 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jun 6, 2014 11:53 am

My names Olaf and I like warm hugs!

I'm 23 years old, just graduated from wichita state in January and moved back to my home town in Eastern KS. I grew up a KU and Shaq fan, switched allegiance to the Thunder as soon as they moved to OKC and to WSU as soon as I started school there. I played a year of college ball at a small university here before leaving to get a degree that would actually land me a job. I haven't had cable for the last four years so next season is the first I'll be able to watch 40+ games, but I listen to most of them on the radio or follow play by plays online.

My favorite player changes on a game by game basis but currently it goes Nick, Adams, Russ, KD. Durant is my favorite from a skill standpoint while the other three appeal to me on different levels (Nick from KU, Adams for pure hustle, and Russ for attitude and style...basketball style).
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jackson77
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#5 » by jackson77 » Fri Jun 6, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi,

I am from Croatia, 36 years old, I fell in love in basketball, watching Drazen Petrovic (later Toni Kukoc, Dino Radja), as a kid in the former Yugoslavia, I followed the NBA from various magazines ... then there was no NBA games on television. Only in the late 80's. I once saw a poster of Xavier McDaniel in former Sonics jersey. I decided to root for the Sonics. The rest is history ...... when the Sonics moved to OKC I continued to cheer for the Thunder. :D

Love for this game does not know borders

Greetings to all Thunder fans wherever you are
dodongo
Senior
And1: 400

Post#6 » by dodongo » Sat Jun 7, 2014 3:38 am

Hi,

I'm a Filipino, here in Quezon City, Philippines. I'm 24 years old and I've been a basketball fan for as long as I could remember (basketball is huge here). I used to be a fan of certain NBA players only (Steve Francis, Tim Duncan, Manu, etc,) but when the Thunder got KD then Russ, I was hooked. Hit me up if you need/want anything from the Philippines :lol:

ThunderUP!
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,282

Post#7 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jun 8, 2014 4:21 am

I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life. Grew up in a rural area. My formative years were during Jordan's Bulls' heyday. Nevertheless I hated that team. I've always been more one to pull for the underdog and do the opposite of what everyone else is doing so cheering for Michael Jordan was the last thing I was going to do. In spite of that that was the time when I fell in love with the NBA and along with watching Eddie Sutton's Oklahoma State and Kelvin Sampson's Oklahoma teams, fell in love with the game of basketball. Back then I never could have dreamt that there would be a full time NBA team in Oklahoma. Now that we have one it's obviously been great fun but it's also been a little weird at times. People around here didn't used to care about NBA basketball at all. I would constantly have to tell people that, yes, they did in fact give effort and no, in fact those scrappy college kids didn't play better defense than NBA players (for real, people thought that). So to now have everyone in this state suddenly turning into NBA fans every March until June has been like bizarro world. Sort of like your favorite indie band hitting it big on top 40 radio.
Grolgar
Junior
And1: 176

Post#8 » by Grolgar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:52 am

spearsy23 wrote:I'm 23 years old, just graduated from wichita state in January and moved back to my home town in Eastern KS.

Congrats! I was a professor at Wichita State from 2011-2013. I loved my time there.

I'm a native Okie living in the DFW area now. Even though I haven't lived in Oklahoma for three years, I still share season tickets with a some buddies in OKC. I grew up on the MJ Bulls like everyone else, but I really loved the early 2000 Kings and mid-2000 Suns... which is a little depressing when the Thunder's offense devolves into predictable nothingness. While I've always loved the NBA, my fandom has gone to a new level since the Thunder arrived in OKC. I can't get enough of dailythunder.com, Zach Lowe, and the Starters so I thought I'd give this board a try. Thunder Up.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by bondom34 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:25 am

Grolgar wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I'm 23 years old, just graduated from wichita state in January and moved back to my home town in Eastern KS.

Congrats! I was a professor at Wichita State from 2011-2013. I loved my time there.

I'm a native Okie living in the DFW area now. Even though I haven't lived in Oklahoma for three years, I still share season tickets with a some buddies in OKC. I grew up on the MJ Bulls like everyone else, but I really loved the early 2000 Kings and mid-2000 Suns... which is a little depressing when the Thunder's offense devolves into predictable nothingness. While I've always loved the NBA, my fandom has gone to a new level since the Thunder arrived in OKC. I can't get enough of dailythunder.com, Zach Lowe, and the Starters so I thought I'd give this board a try. Thunder Up.

Welcome to the boards! Its a small OKC group here, but everyone's cool. I'd also recommend Welcome To Loud City on SB Nation, I post some there, and they do some good analysis as well!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,681

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm from Cincinnati, OH, went to college at Xavier University (Semaj!!!) and I'm in law school now. Started watching the Thunder the year they moved to OKC when I was really getting into the NBA. At the time I was very interested in trying to work for a front office, so I loved the way Presti did things "the right way", how the team was being constructed, and the players (esp. Durant) that the team had. This is a pretty strong hobby for me, but I don't think it will ever be part of my career, which is something I've had to come to grips with as I've developed other interests. Love being on the TnT board and interacting with knowledgeable fans, something that is difficult to find many other places, especially IRL.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#11 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:11 am

I'm 27 years old and born and raised in western Arkansas in the Fort Smith area. Fort Smith is essentially right on the Oklahoma border but the small town I live is about 10 minutes from the Oklahoma border and roughly 3 hours from OKC. For whatever reasons I never had one favorite NBA team growing up even though basketball was, and still is,m y favorite sport. Had a favorite MLB team in the Braves because they were always on TBS when I was young, and a favorite NFL team in the Colts because my dad is a big Colts fan. But my dad didn't really have a favorite NBA team, so for me I just gravitated towards players. Obviously when I was in the 6-10ish range it was Jordan like every other kid my age. Then it was KG and Dirk.

Became a "legit" Thunder fan their second season in OKC. My best friend from high school was going to school and living in Weatherford and he invited me out to stay with him over spring break so we could go to a couple of games. I had already slowly started gravitating towards the Thunder during their first season. I had already become a bit of a Durant fan during his lone season at Texas. I tend to gravitate towards the tall, lanky, versatile types (see Dir and KG). Didn't see much of him during his rookie year because, well, the Sonics were never on TV. I guess the "obsession" started during their first season when I found out I could pick up The Animal out of Oklahoma and could listen to Thunder games.

Now it's just a full-blown, borderline unhealthy, I'm completely worthless and a nervous wreck on Thunder game days (multiply it by at least 10 during the playoffs) obsession. It's gotten to the point that I find myself essentially planning my entire day around a meaningless December game against the Kings or Jazz so I can make sure i'm at home and in front of my TV when the game starts.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Grolgar
Junior
And1: 176

Post#12 » by Grolgar » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:15 am

NaturalThunder wrote:I'm 27 years old and born and raised in western Arkansas in the Fort Smith area. Fort Smith is essentially right on the Oklahoma border but the small town I live is about 10 minutes from the Oklahoma border and roughly 3 hours from OKC.

My high school team (Tulsa) had a home-and-home with Fort Smith Southside back in the day. It was a weird experience playing there. They had a ton of weird rules in their gym like "no chanting" and "no togas." Lol. Welcome to the board and I plan way too much of my life around Thunder games too... including Summer League.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#13 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 am

Grolgar wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:I'm 27 years old and born and raised in western Arkansas in the Fort Smith area. Fort Smith is essentially right on the Oklahoma border but the small town I live is about 10 minutes from the Oklahoma border and roughly 3 hours from OKC.

My high school team (Tulsa) had a home-and-home with Fort Smith Southside back in the day. It was a weird experience playing there. They had a ton of weird rules in their gym like "no chanting" and "no togas." Lol. Welcome to the board and I plan way too much of my life around Thunder games too... including Summer League.

Yeah, it's like that at a lot of Arkansas schools because of the stupid Sportsmanship Rule or whatever it is. So, essentially, school principal's and ADs are pressured into keeping their student sections in line.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Kanye2020
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#14 » by Kanye2020 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Was born in Norman, OK and lived in OKC for a couple of years. I've lived in VA for most of my life but I chose the Thunder as my team since Virginia doesn't really have an NBA team (unless you're counting the Wizards). Been a Thunder fan since 09.

KD being from the DMV area also gave me even more of a reason to cheer this team on.
Loud_city
Rookie
And1: 921

Post#15 » by Loud_city » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 pm

From Norman and a big fan of OU. Have loved the hornets and thunder since they got to OKC. Have moved to houston and detriot and back to OKC Again for work. Love it and don't want to ever move again.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#16 » by bbms » Wed Jul 2, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm a 22-year old fan from Espírito Santo, Brazil, and I used to be a SuperSonics fan because all of the Seattle lore and relation with 90's rock scene. I turned into an OKC Thunder fan ever since they made the move to Oklahoma. I tried to dislike OKC, but as the team kept growing from season to season, it was nearly impossible to step aside of being an OKC fan and all that stuff, they got some really likeable stars.

Sometimes is frustrating to be an OKC fan, and that's the reason I think I won't stop following, liking and paying big attention to OKC even if Seattle gets another team.
ThadMan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#17 » by ThadMan » Thu Jul 3, 2014 12:30 pm

From New Zealand, happily say fan before adams! Borderline obsessed with this team, frequently 'disappear' at work because on my phone looking up thunder stuff. Don't know how I'll get through this off season - so boring! Really looking forward to f.a though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
kd 35
Senior
And1: 605

Post#18 » by kd 35 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:48 am

Well I've been meaning to post on here for a while but never got around to it. I grew up in Oklahoma and went on to attend Oklahoma State. I never really had an allegiance to a pro team because I'd just follow former OSU players as they made it to the NBA or NFL and they'd hop around to different teams. If you ever lived in Oklahoma before OKC got a team, you know that Sooners football was basically the state's pro team. When the Hornets moved to OKC, however, things changed. I was fortunate to have season tickets and attended every single game. I was eaten up with OKC basketball and couldn't get enough. The team itself was sub-par, but a young Chris Paul, David West, and Desmond Mason made for some exciting basketball. The energy was electric inside what was then the Ford Center. Attendance numbers were outstanding for such a small-market and the buzz around town was just so electric. Then came the rumors. The big rumor in town was that the Hornets were wanting to stay in OKC with all of the support they received but I honestly didn't want a team that way. Hurricane Katrina was a tragedy and it wouldn't be fair for New Orleans to lose their team in such a way. Next thing you know, Clay Bennett is up in Seattle buying the Sonics. As an Oklahoman, you knew. No matter what they said, the Sonics were coming to OKC. Sure enough, it happened. I absolutely hate that for the city of Seattle because I didn't want a team that way either. Seattle is a beautiful city and the Sonics had a great identity and franchise. I am still hopeful the NBA will return to Seattle at some point. With all that said, it was just natural to be a Thunder fan from day 1. I will always be a Thunder fan, even if we are the worst team in the NBA. I have since moved out of the state but have been to a few playoff games at the 'Peake and will catch every game I can on TV.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#19 » by NetsWorld » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:36 am

Hi all, I'm from the NYC area; growing up from elementary school into college, I was a Nets fan for 12 years ever since the Jason Kidd era. Through thick and thin, I watched that team and supported that ball club in hopes they would eventually win a title. Although they became more competitive, it was time to move on from supporting them after an incident occurred which was controversial. I wanted to choose a team which was young, up and coming, athletic and of course competitive. So, the OKC Thunder were the right choice for me. No team in this league is better set up than the Thunder long term. NONE. KD is 25, Westbrook 25 and Ibaka 25 and with multiple young prospects in Lamb, Adams and Jackson.

Lets go Thunder.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:21 am

OKCThunder wrote:Hi all, I'm from the NYC area; growing up from elementary school into college, I was a Nets fan for 12 years ever since the Jason Kidd era. Through thick and thin, I watched that team and supported that ball club in hopes they would eventually win a title. Although they became more competitive, it was time to move on from supporting them after an incident occurred which was controversial. I wanted to choose a team which was young, up and coming, athletic and of course competitive. So, the OKC Thunder were the right choice for me. No team in this league is better set up than the Thunder long term. NONE. KD is 25, Westbrook 25 and Ibaka 25 and with multiple young prospects in Lamb, Adams and Jackson.

Lets go Thunder.

I've said it elsewhere, but its quiet in here a lot and I can see you're one of the more active guys around the board already. Glad to have you, welcome aboard!

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder