Off topic thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Re: Off topic thread 

Post#481 » by slick_watts » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/27054210/100-facts-2019-fantasy-football-season

This article always makes me think of a lot of you guys, who think the stats you post are 100 percent conclusive evidence/strong points. Take the time to read the intro, as that is what I’m referring to not the football numbers. Stats can be used/manipulated to argue almost anything, depending on your agenda and which ones you want to use or ignore. It’s about being able to understand the context of the stats you are seeing, and interpreting what they are really saying.

I have a masters degree in applied behavior analysis. The entire grad track is basically centered around taking valid data, knowing how to interpret it, and how to derive an accurate picture of it and identifying trends. Most of you who try to be smarter than everyone because of the numbers you use as undeniable evidence are way, way, worse at these things than you realize, and would be laughed at in any intelligent conversation regarding interpreting and understanding data/statistics.

that's not a real degree.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#482 » by jambalaya » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Stats can be manipulated... especially if you are media with no integrity. That's the main conclusion from that link.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#483 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:46 am

jambalaya wrote:Stats can be manipulated... especially if you are media with no integrity. That's the main conclusion from that link.

Or a realgm forum poster with way too much time on their hands
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#484 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:46 am

slick_watts wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/27054210/100-facts-2019-fantasy-football-season

This article always makes me think of a lot of you guys, who think the stats you post are 100 percent conclusive evidence/strong points. Take the time to read the intro, as that is what I’m referring to not the football numbers. Stats can be used/manipulated to argue almost anything, depending on your agenda and which ones you want to use or ignore. It’s about being able to understand the context of the stats you are seeing, and interpreting what they are really saying.

I have a masters degree in applied behavior analysis. The entire grad track is basically centered around taking valid data, knowing how to interpret it, and how to derive an accurate picture of it and identifying trends. Most of you who try to be smarter than everyone because of the numbers you use as undeniable evidence are way, way, worse at these things than you realize, and would be laughed at in any intelligent conversation regarding interpreting and understanding data/statistics.

that's not a real degree.

Yes, it is
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#485 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:48 pm

“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#486 » by retrobro90 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:01 am

Cade Cunningham visiting Oklahoma State this week. Not sure if we have any cowboy fans here but I'd be so hype if he committed.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#487 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:00 am

retrobro90 wrote:Cade Cunningham visiting Oklahoma State this week. Not sure if we have any cowboy fans here but I'd be so hype if he committed.

Ok state has landed the number one recruit in the country before with Gerald Green.. Unfortunately he went pro and never played for Osu.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#488 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 am

If Ed Orgeron ever gets fired from LSU he would be a great voice for a cajun Cookie Monster.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 6, 2019 3:41 am

retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#490 » by retrobro90 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 7:42 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Kind of cool that this guy will be close by for OKC to scout.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28016415/no-2-prospect-cade-cunningham-commits-oklahoma-state

Just about jumped out of my skin today when I saw the news. So hype for next year. Just need Bryce next
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#491 » by jambalaya » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Abrines scoring 5 pts in 15 points for Barcelona. Lousy shooting in ACB, good in Euroleague. Not much else. Almost no assists. Not much for Thunder. Not much for them either. Mis-evaluation of talent. Highest paid 2nd rounder in history until just recently basically played out into nothing. Not that unusual but that is what happened here.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#492 » by jambalaya » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:13 am

Joah Huestis is playing in Munich Germany as a reserve for Bayern.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#493 » by spearsy23 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:37 am

If someone had told me 9 years ago that the royals and chiefs would both have championships before the thunder.....
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#494 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 3, 2020 12:40 pm

spearsy23 wrote:If someone had told me 9 years ago that the royals and chiefs would both have championships before the thunder.....

NFL has so more parity that sometimes it seems more likely that one of the worst teams from the previous year will make the superbowl than both teams who made the superbowl last year making the playoffs again. As far as the Royals, not much you can say to that.

FWIW, I though the 49ers looked like the better, more complete team.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#495 » by slick_watts » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:19 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:If someone had told me 9 years ago that the royals and chiefs would both have championships before the thunder.....

NFL has so more parity that sometimes it seems more likely that one of the worst teams from the previous year will make the superbowl than both teams who made the superbowl last year making the playoffs again. As far as the Royals, not much you can say to that.

FWIW, I though the 49ers looked like the better, more complete team.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:02 am

Finally had a chance to watch the 30 for 30, “Eddie”. It was a great trip down memory lane. Didn’t expect to see Dwayne Casey. That was a little before my sports following career. I was at the Mizzou game after the plane crash. I’ve never been in an environment like that in all of my life. It was really nice to watch a documentary that reminded me why I like sports. Even if you have no ties to Oklahoma state, it’s worth a watch.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder