Off topic thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Re: Off topic thread 

Post#41 » by NaturalThunder » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Again, Sulaimon is probably at this point closer to not getting drafted than even being a rotational NBA player, let alone a franchise player. I think he might end up getting drafted somewhere in the 2nd round, but he's you're run-of-the-mill 6'6" wing who's decently athletic and can shoot a little bit. There's nothing real special about him. Maybe in 3-5 years he'll be proving me wrong, but I doubt it.

Mock draft sites like DX and nbadraft.net aren't the Holy Grail of NBA projections, but if he's not projected to be drafted at all in either or even just one of their drafts, then that should tell you enough to know Sulaimon is probably a fringe NBA player at best right now.

Ellis is a 2nd round caliber player (mid to late 2nd round probably) who has a shot at being a 2nd round steal and could stick and be a fringe rotation player on the right team.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Off topic th 

Post#42 » by spearsy23 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Ellis is really a poor man's Wayne Simien. And any guy that isn't projected top 3 in a draft is a big time long shot to become half the player of Rose/Russ. Feels like some major overreactions from watching a game.

1. Big Dub and Ellis are two very different players. Their games do not resemble one another in the least. Big Dub was far more of a traditional NBA 4 and didnt do much beyond that, 80% of his game was old school post- up moves. He even had that great hook shot that he specialized in.
The two players dont belong on the same shelf in the least.

By the time he graduated Simien had added a really nice mid/high post face-up game and even stretched his range out to the college 3. Ellis is more face up oriented because he doesn't have the fantastic post moves, but that's what makes him a poor man's.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#43 » by Bravenewworld » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:59 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Ellis is really a poor man's Wayne Simien. And any guy that isn't projected top 3 in a draft is a big time long shot to become half the player of Rose/Russ. Feels like some major overreactions from watching a game.

1. Big Dub and Ellis are two very different players. Their games do not resemble one another in the least. Big Dub was far more of a traditional NBA 4 and didnt do much beyond that, 80% of his game was old school post- up moves. He even had that great hook shot that he specialized in.

By the time he graduated Simien had added a really nice mid/high post face-up game and even stretched his range out to the college 3. Ellis is more face up oriented because he doesn't have the fantastic post moves, but that's what makes him a poor man's.

Wayne stretched his game out some, but not much and he never relied on it or regularly shot beyond 12 or so but still relied on his post up game until the day he left KU. His bread and butter was the post game. He either dove in for a quick lay up, did some pivot for a layup/short toss in, or did a hook.
Ellis is more of a modern prototypical 3/4, with very little post skills.
The two are absolutely nothing alike and one is not the "poor mans" version of the other. That's silly.
You know... the point of saying someone is the poor mans version of, is to say they have a similar skill set, one is simply better than the other. In this case, they have entirely different skill sets.
Did you actually watch wayne simien? I mean.... he was an old school PF/C low post player who slightly stretched his shot out, but nothing worth even mentioning. I dunno, i just dont get why you think the two are comparable.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#44 » by spearsy23 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:39 am

Bravenewworld wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:

Wayne stretched his game out some, but not much and he never relied on it or regularly shot beyond 12 or so but still relied on his post up game until the day he left KU. His bread and butter was the post game. He either dove in for a quick lay up, did some pivot for a layup/short toss in, or did a hook.
The two are absolutely nothing alike and one is not the "poor mans" version of the other. That's silly.
You know... the point of saying someone is the poor mans version of, is to say they have a similar skill set, one is simply better than the other. In this case, they have entirely different skill sets.
Did you actually watch wayne simien? I mean.... he was an old school PF/C low post player who slightly stretched his shot out, but nothing worth even mentioning. I dunno, i just dont get why you think the two are comparable.

You're concentrating on the biggest difference and ignoring the similarities. Both are undersized, not great athletes, some perimeter ability but not enough to be successful as a 3 on the next level, smart and willing passers but incapable of creating. Wayne had a remarkable post game, Ellis has a good one, Ellis is unlikely to even make an NBA roster. His one hope is if the Hawks or Spurs draft him.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#45 » by Bravenewworld » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:31 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:By the time he graduated Simien had added a really nice mid/high post face-up game and even stretched his range out to the college 3. Ellis is more face up oriented because he doesn't have the fantastic post moves, but that's what makes him a poor man's.

You're concentrating on the biggest difference and ignoring the similarities. Both are undersized, not great athletes, some perimeter ability but not enough to be successful as a 3 on the next level, smart and willing passers but incapable of creating. Wayne had a remarkable post game, Ellis has a good one, Ellis is unlikely to even make an NBA roster. His one hope is if the Hawks or Spurs draft him.

Boy... you're stretching this as far as you can go huh?

No im concentrating on their game more then general attributes (which are not even accurate. btw. 6'9 is not undersized for a 4).
There's a lot wrong with this paragraph, but whatever. If you want to think they are comparable, after seeing both as complete players (which, honestly i question) who have entirely different games, then i dont really know where to go with it.
LacosteM
Suns Forum Rookie of the Year
And1: 366

Post#46 » by LacosteM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:51 am

First post on Thunder RealGM! Transferring from DT. Sup y'all.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#47 » by Pillendreher » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Yay, now we can be 'Russ still doesn't defend' buddies! :D
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#48 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:15 pm

LacosteM wrote:First post on Thunder RealGM! Transferring from DT. Sup y'all.

Welcome to the dark side.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 3:25 am

Wow what a shot.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 3:36 am

AND A BETTER ONE!
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#51 » by spearsy23 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 6:42 am

bondom34 wrote:Wow what a shot.

That was so much slop :lol:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 6:47 am

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Wow what a shot.

That was so much slop :lol:

Glad Nova won, and what a freaking finish. I posted that for the UNC tying shot.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 7:15 am

:lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/717229145051291648[/tweet]
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#54 » by Pillendreher » Tue Apr 5, 2016 8:38 pm

bondom, do you still have that link to the vantage sports article talking about DFG%?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 9:15 pm

Pillendreher wrote:bondom, do you still have that link to the vantage sports article talking about DFG%?

http://www1.vantagesports.com/Articles/article_view/ViAAjSEAAFIWKwSG
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#56 » by Pillendreher » Tue Apr 5, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks!
oeskaer
Sophomore
And1: 117

Post#57 » by oeskaer » Thu May 26, 2016 5:36 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/oeskaer/status/735886293914267648[/tweet]

What do you guys think? :D
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by bondom34 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:03 pm

oeskaer wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/oeskaer/status/735886293914267648[/tweet]

What do you guys think? :D

Nice!
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#59 » by Pillendreher » Thu May 26, 2016 6:25 pm

DT likes it ;)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by bondom34 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:41 am

The OJ SImpson documentary 30 for 30 has been excellent so far. I'm watching Part 4 and saving 5 for later, but its really good so far. I'm just old enough to remember the trial but not really well and didn't know the background (racial tension in LA, etc) and its a great watch.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder