OKC Thunder Offseason 2017: The Reshapening

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Re: OKC Thunder Offseason 2017: The Reshapening 

Post#2401 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:52 pm

InTheSabonus wrote:My issue with Smart is that what happens when he has to play alongside Russ?

That's two legendarily bad 3 point shooters. And they will have to share the court for like 10 minutes a game. Even with Russell's improved 3 point shooting, playing two guys who've taken historic amounts relative to their low %, that's inviting trouble.

That being said, I'll take any upgrade over Semaj at this point, and you do know that Smart will be huge defensively. And if not much else presents, then I'd gladly take Smart. Just foresee some issues there, particularly if we re-sign Roberson.

If they play with Abrines, McDermott, Kanter and Patterson they can pick up the slack on shooting the 3 in lineups with Smart and Westbrook.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2402 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:57 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Maybe they'll just bench Kanter into oblivion this year.

No better way to guarantee we have to pay his last year.

We're stuck with him anyway. It's not like people aren't aware of Enes Kanter and by benching him a bunch of GMs who would have otherwise wanted him will suddenly forget he exists and his list of faults as a player. :lol:

Greg Monroe just opted in to a final year for the same reason Kanter will. That style of player isn't valued at the moment.

If we keep Kanter. I am so interested to hear what Monroe will get on the open market.

Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2403 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:58 pm

OKCThunder wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
Read on Twitter

As long as he is healthy and can do his job defensively and give us easy buckets when he has good shots, I am happy. Patterson is definitely a step in the right direction. If they can now find a way to get say a Marcus Smart for backup Point Guard, we would finish off a great off-season. Really getting amped for this season; if we can get the chemistry going early and they are meshing, I expect this team to be a top 2 in the conference. Only thing I hope for is Melo not going to Houston.

You could stop that by dealing Kanter and Singler for Melo. Lol. Or by helping facilitate a Melo trade by offering Kanter to the Knicks and taking back the 3rd teams offer.

Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2404 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:59 pm

Old Man Game wrote:The fact that a player like Hayward would leave says a lot to me. I could be wrong but I don't envision him making all that lost dough up in off the court sponsorships from playing in Boston.

There's probably no way out of this other than a lockout potentially lasting a season or more, but it seems like this ability to offer a 5th year to re-sign with Bird Rights isn't doing as much anymore. Now days the contracts are so lucrative that a player is basically looking at being set for life either way.

I think the cap spike was a big part of the reasoning.

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#2405 » by NetsWorld » Wed Jul 5, 2017 2:09 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
OKCThunder wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
Read on Twitter

As long as he is healthy and can do his job defensively and give us easy buckets when he has good shots, I am happy. Patterson is definitely a step in the right direction. If they can now find a way to get say a Marcus Smart for backup Point Guard, we would finish off a great off-season. Really getting amped for this season; if we can get the chemistry going early and they are meshing, I expect this team to be a top 2 in the conference. Only thing I hope for is Melo not going to Houston.

You could stop that by dealing Kanter and Singler for Melo. Lol. Or by helping facilitate a Melo trade by offering Kanter to the Knicks and taking back the 3rd teams offer.

if melo is open to coming here. Maybe Presti is working on it. Melo will eventually be moved this month. Boy would it be scary to have Melo here on top of what we have. We would definitely compete against GSW.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2406 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 2:50 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Knrstz wrote:Kanter has some value as a bench player in the regular season against most teams not named Houston and Golden State. I could see us holding on to him for the first part of the year and then moving him at the deadline to add some finishing touches to the roster. We definitely need a backup pg now. As for some of the other moves, maybe Presti wants to see how the current group plays together before adding more role players.

I'm against waiting until the deadline to make moves. It takes Billy 3 months every season just to realize singler sucks, forget about trying to put together a competent lineup after the ASB.

I tend to agree with this. But, I think it might be good to evaluate after Dec 15. This way the players that sign during free agency are now available to be dealt. This way the team will have 4 months to figure out how to work the rotations.

Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2407 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:02 pm

OKCThunder wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
OKCThunder wrote:

if melo is open to coming here. Maybe Presti is working on it. Melo will eventually be moved this month. Boy would it be scary to have Melo here on top of what we have. We would definitely compete against GSW.

I go back and forth with this one. Melo is an all star but will he stop the ball, will he worry about getting his. Is it worth bringing Melo in during the one season of George. I would think Kanter is the best offer they would receive if he is even on the table. The Knicks want to go young.

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#2408 » by NetsWorld » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:37 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
OKCThunder wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

I go back and forth with this one. Melo is an all star but will he stop the ball, will he worry about getting his. Is it worth bringing Melo in during the one season of George. I would think Kanter is the best offer they would receive if he is even on the table. The Knicks want to go young.

Melo is 33 and I don't think long term would be ok. I think if NYK buys him out and then signs and trades him on a two year deal, we would be ok. Melo can still score and would have no choice but to fit in our system. He will bring a massive punch on offense with him here, even at 33. He can flat out score the ball and is an All Star, in fact a top 6-7 talent. We would definitely challenge Golden State.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#2409 » by Pillendreher » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:45 pm

OKCThunder wrote:I think if NYK buys him out and then signs and trades him on a two year deal, we would be ok.

Eh. I very much doubt that's even possible. If anything, it's completely unrealistic. He would not sign with the Knicks to go to OKC. We would join LeBron.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#2410 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:03 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
OKCThunder wrote:I think if NYK buys him out and then signs and trades him on a two year deal, we would be ok.

Eh. I very much doubt that's even possible. If anything, it's completely unrealistic. He would not sign with the Knicks to go to OKC. We would join LeBron.

Yeah. I don't see NYK buying him out. If the Thunder want him they can most likely get him for Kanter and Singler for the rest of his 2 years $55 million unless he used his eto to opt out after this season.

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#2411 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#2412 » by jambalaya » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:51 pm

Patterson, great deal.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#2413 » by jambalaya » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:55 pm

Gay, unlikely, unless by S&T.

I wonder how much Tyler Ennis gets. I'd look into what he'd take.

Thunder probably now has a legit shot at #2 seed. For sure if hey get back PG figured out better or much better. If they fall short it will be because of that.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#2414 » by jambalaya » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:12 pm

getrichordie wrote:Can we come up with a nickname for our starting lineup?

The ThundertheFUps?

And the bench, probably still the opposite?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#2415 » by bondom34 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:16 pm

jambalaya wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Can we come up with a nickname for our starting lineup?

The ThundertheFUps?

And the bench, probably still the opposite?

The bench are just the FUps.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#2416 » by jambalaya » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:20 pm

Patterson stat observations:

Needs to be assisted.
No hook shot.
Can't hit in first quarter. Better in 4th.
Slow start last November.
A young 28. Good age for this team.
Worst lineups came with back PG (Joseph)
Best pairs with Raptor stars.
10 plus points on average every third game.
5 plus rebounds every second game.
2 plus 3ptrs every second game.
Positive raw plus minus 70% of time.
A block every 3rd game. A steal every 2nd.
Doesn't offensive rebound.
Near career best on TO% last season.
Career low usage, likely to go lower.
Near career high FTA rate but still quite low.
Playoff performance keeps getting worse. His fault, the stars or both? May need a good option to him by then.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#2417 » by jambalaya » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:05 pm

Go over the tax now and reel it back in before the deadline? Maybe.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#2418 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:31 pm

jambalaya wrote:Go over the tax now and reel it back in before the deadline? Maybe.

Tax is now calculated based off whole year payroll, not end of year. Would need to cut a LOT of salary.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2419 » by Pillendreher » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:18 pm

jambalaya wrote:Patterson, great deal.

This might be the first deal Presti has done for a guy who is loved by advanced metrics. Patterson might be the APM king of the league.

Maybe he finally started listening to you. :x
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2420 » by Pillendreher » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:21 pm

So Nate Duncan said that

-Smart's value should be somewhere around two 2nd rounders
-We are now the best team to defend the Warriors and should be the best or 2nd best team defensively this season.

We might be really onto something if we find a decent backup PG and dump Kanter's ass. Our ceiling is of course lower than before, but am I insane to think we might get back to a SRS of +6 or better?

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder