Should the Thunder start their rebuild now?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,052

Re: Should the Thunder start their rebuild now? 

Post#181 » by slick_watts » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:39 am

bondom34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
That's true but Wiggins isn't leading that team. By your comments you say he's the fourth best player on his team. I would say he's third. Some players won't pan out, I get that. Wiggins was supposed to be "the guy" and he probably won't be that. That's why multiple pics and multiple players are important. Nothing is guranteed. I just don't like feeling we have no way possible to improve our team, even if that's team is a lower tier playoff team.

I don't think the last sentence is true. You just never know when it's going to happen. To put a recent example to it, Portland looked flat bad most of last season. They traded for Nurkic and suddenly people think they're going to make a leap (I don't know, but maybe they will). OKC needs to find that sort of trade.

...congrats? this was a great trade, and out of nowhere. for as much as it gives us flexibility in the event westbrook isn't extended or a means of flipping PG13 at the deadline or whatever as anything.

i don't think it changes the basic truths of this discussion, namely our inability to really compete and the opportunity tanking would provide.

i'm a little concerned westbrook hasn't extended yet.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#182 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:42 am

slick_watts wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I don't think the last sentence is true. You just never know when it's going to happen. To put a recent example to it, Portland looked flat bad most of last season. They traded for Nurkic and suddenly people think they're going to make a leap (I don't know, but maybe they will). OKC needs to find that sort of trade.

...congrats? this was a great trade, and out of nowhere. for as much as it gives us flexibility in the event westbrook isn't extended or a means of flipping PG13 at the deadline or whatever as anything.

i don't think it changes the basic truths of this discussion, namely our inability to really compete and the opportunity tanking would provide.

I don't think Russ will extend tonight. In my mind it doesn't mean he won't, but I could see him waiting until our roster is more complete.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#183 » by bondom34 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:44 am

Yeah that's not meaning a ton to me right now either. And this from PG:

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Ontario
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,100

Post#184 » by Ontario » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:51 pm

slick_watts wrote:i don't think it changes the basic truths of this discussion, namely our inability to really compete and the opportunity tanking would provide.

lol
If you do not know how good a basketball player Gary Payton was just go and stand near him for a little while, there's a good chance he'll come over and tell you. - Ahmad Rashad
Ontario
Bench Warmer

Post#185 » by Ontario » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:55 pm

Sun_Tzu wrote:Realistically, there is nothing short of a miracle that can be done to compete for an NBA championship in 2017-2018 (same was true of 2016-2017). Therefore, any moves made during this offseason should be based on competing in 2018-2019 and/or 2019-2020. If your “retool” is focused on reaching contention after 2019-2020 it’s next to impossible to justify keeping RW from a strategic standpoint.

lol
If you do not know how good a basketball player Gary Payton was just go and stand near him for a little while, there's a good chance he'll come over and tell you. - Ahmad Rashad
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#186 » by NetsWorld » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:51 pm

This year will definitely be a determining factor next off season whether OKC feels it has a chance to compete for a title or rebuilt. But I will say if they are going to rebuild, a George/Westbrook should get them top picks in the draft. In other words, if they do go to L.A., they would give up their picks and assets to OKC. Ball and whatever other assets. I am confident Presti knows how to scout talent, especially since OKC was built on the draft and not through trades throughout its history.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#187 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:29 pm

If Russ and PG13 were to walk next year, we'd have pretty good cap space in a year where basically no one does. And we'd have our pick and an expiring Kanter to flip (presuming he picks up his option).

I'd rather we keep both, of course, but there are worse scenarios than that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P7fjUIXc6-Tf2jxLdk6oht_fjaYQ0APgL5afC42fztg/edit?usp=sharing
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,052

Post#188 » by slick_watts » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:10 pm

Ontario wrote:
slick_watts wrote:i don't think it changes the basic truths of this discussion, namely our inability to really compete and the opportunity tanking would provide.

lol

do you believe the paul george trade has changed this discussion at all? i'd say there is an acknowledgement in the trade that it is possible we will need to rebuild. salary dumping oladipo for a player unlikely to stay long term.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#189 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:58 pm

OKCThunder wrote:This year will definitely be a determining factor next off season whether OKC feels it has a chance to compete for a title or rebuilt. But I will say if they are going to rebuild, a George/Westbrook should get them top picks in the draft. In other words, if they do go to L.A., they would give up their picks and assets to OKC. Ball and whatever other assets. I am confident Presti knows how to scout talent, especially since OKC was built on the draft and not through trades throughout its history.

If the Lakers think they're coming, they'll just hold on to their assets and not worry about it.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#190 » by NetsWorld » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:25 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
OKCThunder wrote:This year will definitely be a determining factor next off season whether OKC feels it has a chance to compete for a title or rebuilt. But I will say if they are going to rebuild, a George/Westbrook should get them top picks in the draft. In other words, if they do go to L.A., they would give up their picks and assets to OKC. Ball and whatever other assets. I am confident Presti knows how to scout talent, especially since OKC was built on the draft and not through trades throughout its history.

If the Lakers think they're coming, they'll just hold on to their assets and not worry about it.

LA getting PG next year is NOT A sure thing as anything can happen in one year. If George is not about winning, then you go to LA. L.A. has not played well in recent years.
Ontario
Bench Warmer

Post#191 » by Ontario » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:36 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Ontario wrote:

lol

do you believe the paul george trade has changed this discussion at all? i'd say there is an acknowledgement in the trade that it is possible we will need to rebuild. salary dumping oladipo for a player unlikely to stay long term.

Ha, I'm sorry Slick I was just picturing you being so frustrated that we are going to win 30+ games next year and I couldn't help myself. And to think we almost had the 2025 title locked up before they went and blew at all on a useless all-star. ;)

I totally get what you are saying about this being a move that can allow for a re-build, (salary dump) if we get to next season and no extensions materialize for George or WB. Honestly I don't care, if it bounces that way then whatever great on Presti for being able to be that flexible.

I would prefer to keep WB and George and see what we can eventually flip Kanter for, he's coming off the books next summer too so we'll have tons of space for two extensions and a pretty nice complimentary third piece be it a FA with Kanter's money or a signed player through trade as another team is looking for cap-space. Adams, Roberson, Patterson are all quality guys... if the kids being Abrines, Grant, Huestis, Dakari, Hamilton, Ferguson and maybe even Chiston can develop into anything that contributes even a little bit this will be an exciting fun team to watch/support. Honestly I value that far above your need for a title

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder