OKC Thunder Offseason: Avengers Assemble

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Re: OKC Thunder Offseason: Avengers Assemble 

Post#2621 » by getrichordie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 am

I think we should give James Michael McAdoo a contract. He played the small ball 5 well for the Warriors. Wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Boris Diaw as well. That would be an awesome signing, but I think we are wanting faster players haha.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#2622 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 am

Atomic Punk wrote:One last time, I am looking beyond raw numbers, I am looking at fit and intangibles for the 15th friggin spot on the roster.

The 15th spot on this roster is Nick Collison. We need a backup Center to play minutes off the bench every night.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2623 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

The more I think about it, the more I want Nogueira to be our backup Center. From what I could gather through stats and watching some videos, his offensive game isn't that vast, yet he is very efficient on that end. Last season, his FGA were basically limited to dunsk and layups. He made 75 % of his shot attempts at the rim and had very good play type numbers on offense as well: 82nd percentile in transition, 79th percentile as the PnR Rollman, 78th percentile on putbacks. He basically sticks to what he can do and does a good job at it. Impact stats had him still as a slight negative offensively (-0.1 OBPM/-0.61 ORPM), but I think that's OK as long as he makes the most out of his shot opportunities.

Defensively, the impact stats love him: 5.6 DBPM and 3.3 DRPM. Out of those who played at least 1000 minutes last season, he had the highest BLK% league wide. Per Synergy, his PnR Rollman defense ranked in the 86th percentile.

His blocks just look so effortless:

https://youtu.be/jdRd5f-Sj8E

DO IT PRESTI. CALL TORONTO.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2624 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2625 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

With Westbrook locked up, people around the league think the likelihood of Anthony picking up his $27.9 million option for next season went from a near certainty to a lock, as it seems unlikely he’ll get the same kind of money on the open market as a 34-year-old free agent.

Even that kind of exorbitant price, though, should not be a roadblock. Sources have been adamant that the Thunder won’t hesitate to run things back next season, particularly when Anthony’s large expiring contract would allow the team’s finances to then return to something near regular order the following year. In an ironic twist, this was the salary spike the Thunder was expecting to deal with if Durant chose to re-sign in Oklahoma City; now that he’s gone, the plan remains the same, albeit a year later than anticipated.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#2626 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Pillendreher wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want Nogueira to be our backup Center. From what I could gather through stats and watching some videos, his offensive game isn't that vast, yet he is very efficient on that end. Last season, his FGA were basically limited to dunsk and layups. He made 75 % of his shot attempts at the rim and had very good play type numbers on offense as well: 82nd percentile in transition, 79th percentile as the PnR Rollman, 78th percentile on putbacks. He basically sticks to what he can do and does a good job at it. Impact stats had him still as a slight negative offensively (-0.1 OBPM/-0.61 ORPM), but I think that's OK as long as he makes the most out of his shot opportunities.

Defensively, the impact stats love him: 5.6 DBPM and 3.3 DRPM. Out of those who played at least 1000 minutes last season, he had the highest BLK% league wide. Per Synergy, his PnR Rollman defense ranked in the 86th percentile.

His blocks just look so effortless:

https://youtu.be/jdRd5f-Sj8E

DO IT PRESTI. CALL TORONTO.

Agreed.

I'd also put in a call to the Clippers for Willie Reed.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#2627 » by jambalaya » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Worst on team raw plus minus in pre-season? Grant. Grant as a big? Lousy team results last season, pretty weak individual stats too.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#2628 » by slick_watts » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 pm

jambalaya wrote:Worst on team raw plus minus in pre-season? Grant. Grant as a big? Lousy team results last season, pretty weak individual stats too.

grant played 300+ minutes as pf next to adams with westbrook in the game, defense was 117pp100 i believe. worse than kanter-adams by a lot, even.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#2629 » by Balkman32 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 pm

I think that its not that big of a deal. Centers are a dime a doz. I think we will find a nice player to be the backup C for the postseason.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211

Post#2630 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Balkman32 wrote:I think that its not that big of a deal. Centers are a dime a doz. I think we will find a nice player to be the backup C for the postseason.

I agree. I know we need a backup center but the panic on this board by some is funny. This roster is miles ahead of where it was this time last year and our only need is for a position that Presti can fill whenever he wants.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2631 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm

slick_watts wrote:
jambalaya wrote:Worst on team raw plus minus in pre-season? Grant. Grant as a big? Lousy team results last season, pretty weak individual stats too.

grant played 300+ minutes as pf next to adams with westbrook in the game, defense was 117pp100 i believe. worse than kanter-adams by a lot, even.

Grant as the 4:

with Adams (327 minutes): 117.7 DRtG
with Kanter (315 minutes): 112.7 DRtG
with Sabonis (118 minutes): 119.0 DRtG
with Lauvergne (93 minutes): 94.3 DRtG
with Gibson (31 minutes): 108.3 DRtG
with Collison (27 minutes): 138.2 DRtG

DRtG overall with Grant at the 4: 114.09 in 911 minutes.

Grant as a 4 has sucked defensively.

Btw: Our DRtG with Grant off the floor was 106.0 last season.

Knrstz wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:I think that its not that big of a deal. Centers are a dime a doz. I think we will find a nice player to be the backup C for the postseason.

I agree. I know we need a backup center but the panic on this board by some is funny. This roster is miles ahead of where it was this time last year and our only need is for a position that Presti can fill whenever he wants.

I don't want Presti to wait till the trade deadline just to fix a glaring issue. Give Dakari a couple of weeks and then deal with it.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#2632 » by bondom34 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

You need to have a good option to deal with it though. I'd love a good move but if nothing is there wait it out. Maybe someone gets bought out.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2633 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Knrstz wrote:

I don't want Presti to wait till the trade deadline just to fix a glaring issue. Give Dakari a couple of weeks and then deal with it.

It’s not likely to happen that quickly. It sounds like Patterson won’t be ready for the opener. I’m sure they’ll give him ample opportunity to get healthy and see if he can be successful before any moves are made.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2634 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:02 pm

bondom34 wrote:You need to have a good option to deal with it though. I'd love a good move but if nothing is there wait it out. Maybe someone gets bought out.

Knrstz wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Knrstz wrote:I agree. I know we need a backup center but the panic on this board by some is funny. This roster is miles ahead of where it was this time last year and our only need is for a position that Presti can fill whenever he wants.

It’s not likely to happen that quickly. It sounds like Patterson won’t be ready for the opener. I’m sure they’ll give him ample opportunity to get healthy and see if he can be successful before any moves are made.

Yeah, you don't need to rush things. I just don't want Presti to ignore this because of some strange affection with Grant. Grant is not the solution.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2635 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:You need to have a good option to deal with it though. I'd love a good move but if nothing is there wait it out. Maybe someone gets bought out.

Knrstz wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Yeah, you don't need to rush things. I just don't want Presti to ignore this because of some strange affection with Grant. Grant is not the solution.

I think the fact that the thunder picked up the team option on Grant and he’ll be an UFA tells me Grant isn’t a lock for Presti. I could see Sam wanting to get something for him rather than letting him walk...to China or whoever else would want him.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#2636 » by spearsy23 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Knrstz wrote:[ Presti can fill whenever he wants.

I think this is what worries us. Either be doesn't like the options or he really thinks grant might be the answer. If he's just waiting for a certain guy to come available then okay, if it's the latter them we're going to waste half a season of chemistry building to reaffirm grant sucks. See: Singler, Kyle.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2637 » by spearsy23 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Knrstz wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Knrstz wrote:

I think the fact that the thunder picked up the team option on Grant and he’ll be an UFA tells me Grant isn’t a lock for Presti. I could see Sam wanting to get something for him rather than letting him walk...to China or whoever else would want him.

I think it's more likely to mean he didn't want to up the tax bill even more.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#2638 » by spearsy23 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 pm

getrichordie wrote:I think we should give James Michael McAdoo a contract. He played the small ball 5 well for the Warriors. Wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Boris Diaw as well. That would be an awesome signing, but I think we are wanting faster players haha.

We already have a small-ball center, we need a real one.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2639 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Other than Paul Pierce, I love the fact that the national media is questioning our team so much. I would rather be the disrespected hunter than the hunted.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2640 » by Pillendreher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:13 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Knrstz wrote:[ Presti can fill whenever he wants.

I think this is what worries us. Either be doesn't like the options or he really thinks grant might be the answer. If he's just waiting for a certain guy to come available then okay, if it's the latter them we're going to waste half a season of chemistry building to reaffirm grant sucks. See: Singler, Kyle.

Exactly. If you're waiting for a certain deal to become available: OK. But we don't have forever. This is (for now) our only shot at getting things right. It's only a guy playing 10-15 minutes a night, but a really solid player getting those minutes could make us so much better.

Just replacing Grant (CARMELO projects him as -2.0) with a +1.0 player could mean a differece of 4-6 games won. Just imagine: Our bench lineup could actually be a force to be reckoned with. That's mainly why I'm so adamant we need to move quickly: We need weapons and Grant destroying lineups isn't gonna help anybody. We could have a bench-mob like back in the days. Something to rely on when the starters don't click offensively.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder