Carmelo Anthony to OKC for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a draft pick

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Re: Carmelo Anthony to OKC for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a draft pick 

Post#161 » by MrProb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Melo has been playing with crap roster for years and he had to shoot when the ball swing back to him at less than 5 seconds A LOT of times.

There is a reason why players in the league respect his offensive talent because they know what he can do.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,366

Post#162 » by Patches Perry » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

I'd love to see a scoring efficiency figure that factors a player willing to take a bad shot at the end of the shot/quarter clock vs. a player who will guard their percentages by dribbling it out. I noticed this a great deal when Durant was here. He always dribbled one too many times at the end of the clock, passed it off where the guy he passed to didn't actually have time to shoot it, or would hold it just long enough to where the shot wouldn't count. This will make for prettier percentages, but is not actually the correct basketball play in those situations. A bad shot is better than no shot in those instances.

Players like Westbrook, Carmelo, Iverson and Kobe were not just willing to take those shots, but relished in it. They wanted points on the board, not just pretty percentages.

It's possible it's not much different, but even at 2 shots per game like that, it would drastically change the TS%.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#163 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Again you're not using context. Just posting advanced stats doesnt tell you anything.

Basketball games aren't played on excel spreadsheets.

I watched every game, I can't go into context with you if you didn't.

You can’t explain when a slump happened because someone posted a spreadsheet that doesn’t agree with your statement?

I'm not about to go through a game log to find the exact time, I'm telling from the experience of actually watching the games he played.

Again these excel spreadsheets are for folks who don't watch games but want to sound smart.

You may very well be right but if you want to sound smart and won’t offer proof then it’s hard to be taken seriously.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#164 » by Rotten Apple » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Knrstz wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
You can’t explain when a slump happened because someone posted a spreadsheet that doesn’t agree with your statement?

I'm not about to go through a game log to find the exact time, I'm telling from the experience of actually watching the games he played.

Again these excel spreadsheets are for folks who don't watch games but want to sound smart.

You may very well be right but if you want to sound smart and won’t offer proof then it’s hard to be taken seriously.

My proof is in watching the games.

I'm not gonna tell a Thunder fan how Westbrook played because I know he averaged a triple double when I only seen about 10 games plus playoffs of him.

Anyone can quote TS%, EFG% and ORTG and think they're making a point.

Sometimes play goes beyond advanced stats. Westbrook shot 42% last year but that was a damn good 42%.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#165 » by CoachD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 pm

With his horrible 4th quarter shooting stats, PG should be the one to take a backseat ... but he's also going into a UFA season.

I don't think there's a hope in hell he will agree to dialing it back. If PG averages 18 or averages 14 ... that will cost his millions and millions of dollars
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#166 » by vtime » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Blessed to have a big 3, and lucky to shed the 40 mil per year owed to Oladipo/Kanter.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#167 » by dakomish23 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 am

There was a 2 month stretch last year where Melo caught fire and it didn't matter because the Knicks roster was that terrible.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01/gamelog/2017/#936-968-sum:pgl_basic

24.1 PPG 6.0 RPG 3.0 APG 0.7 SPG 0.6 BPG
45% FG% 40% 3PT% 78% FT%

It's going to take time for him to get into the flow. But when he does, I see some longgggg winning streaks for you guys. Westbrook and PG will already have you guys in the 50 win range. This might push you north of 55.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#168 » by Pillendreher » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 am

dakomish23 wrote:There was a 2 month stretch last year where Melo caught fire and it didn't matter because the Knicks roster was that terrible.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01/gamelog/2017/#936-968-sum:pgl_basic

24.1 PPG 6.0 RPG 3.0 APG 0.7 SPG 0.6 BPG
45% FG% 40% 3PT% 78% FT%

It's going to take time for him to get into the flow. But when he does, I see some longgggg winning streaks for you guys. Westbrook and PG will already have you guys in the 50 win range. This might push you north of 55.

Thank you - that kind of information was what I was looking for :)
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#169 » by Balkman32 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I wonder if Melo lost his signature shoe because he is in OKC.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#170 » by Balkman32 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm

MrProb wrote:Melo has been playing with crap roster for years and he had to shoot when the ball swing back to him at less than 5 seconds A LOT of times.

There is a reason why players in the league respect his offensive talent because they know what he can do.

Hes going to be a beast for the Thunder!
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#171 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 am

Balkman32 wrote:I wonder if Melo lost his signature shoe because he is in OKC.

I don't think there's any chance it gets discontinued if he's still in new York.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Post#172 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 am

He "lost" it because he is no longer a player worthy of a signature shoe. If his shoes had been selling they wouldn't have taken it.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#173 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

He "lost" it because he is no longer a player worthy of a signature shoe. If his shoes had been selling they wouldn't have taken it.

There is obviously more that goes into it than that. Derrick Rose still has a signature shoe. Also, Melo called it false news, so we'll see.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#174 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 am

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lance-thomas-carmelo-anthony-thank-you-letter/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=kw&utm_campaign=RSS&kwp_0=538153&kwp_4=1940589&kwp_1=813722

Tough to read too much into it since this seems more like a love letter than objective reality, but it's still a nice read.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#175 » by Pillendreher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
oken
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#176 » by oken » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

Never underestimate the power of children's ideas. They have no limits to their imagination like adults.

Anthony seems to have erected too many borders for his own reasoning, listening to too many people feeding off him and when he heard a fresh thinking he possibly got very surprised. But it was actually clear as a day for anybody without any racial, cultural etc. borders in the mind.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,530

Post#177 » by Fat Kat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:02 pm

MrProb wrote:Melo has been playing with crap roster for years and he had to shoot when the ball swing back to him at less than 5 seconds A LOT of times.

He's not the same player anymore. Don't think players in the league have much respect for his game.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#178 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:10 am

:lol: :lol:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#179 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

:lol: at trying to laugh at what most know to be true :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder