Coach Ideas

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Coach Ideas 

Post#61 » by spearsy23 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am

getrichordie wrote:If Rondo was our point instead of Russ, I think we see more ball movement because he's a pass-first point-guard and that's the way he plays.

The same Rajon Rondo who was long criticized for racking up assists by holding the ball for 20 seconds?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#62 » by spearsy23 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 am

getrichordie wrote:
That's what I don't understand. Donovan was known for his offensive system - the motion offense.

Donovan never ran a true motion offense and I don't know where people keep getting the idea that he did. He ran a ball screen continuity offense that is impossible to implement in the NBA because no team can field three NBA competent pick and roll guards/wings. His Florida offense was spread pick and roll on repeat.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#63 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 pm

What do you think of mike budenholzer?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#64 » by jambalaya » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:06 am

I think he is in Atlanta and likely to be there for at least a few more years.
oken
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#65 » by oken » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 am

As I also said last year if it comes to reining the stars in properly there is nobody better then Obradovich

CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#66 » by CROklahoma » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 am

Wow, the first moment when he would fire the **** out of Westbrook for taking that (Please Use More Appropriate Word) pullup transition 3 ...
The dream coach that cannot coach in NBA, remember, this is a player's league ...
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,106

Post#67 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 4:05 am

CROklahoma wrote:Wow, the first moment when he would fire the **** out of Westbrook for taking that (Please Use More Appropriate Word) pullup transition 3 ...
The dream coach that cannot coach in NBA, remember, this is a player's league ...

No he wont.
He lets his talented players to play 1 on 1. Pull up 3's are included in that concept.

He would interfere with a lot of things and it could backlash.
After all he has the biggest budget in Europe for last 4 years. He always had great rosters in his teams. So i dont know how would he coach in NBA.
Its also mid-season in Turkey so i dont think he'll left his team.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#68 » by retrobro90 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 10:12 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Jerry Stackhouse. I'm personally not quite on the fire billy train just yet but Jerry seems like a guy who can carry a little ethos with these stars and based on his performance with the 905 last year I'd bet he's a pretty decent tactician. I understand Jerry played in an era that was all about isolation basketball but based on his interview with Lowe back in July it doesn't sound like that's the style he preaches to his team.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 1, 2017 10:24 pm

I love the way the warriors play but iso basketball isn’t all bad. Yesterday on the starters they were saying that the spurs run a lot of isolation plays but their players move when they dont have the ball. OKCs isolation has no other players moving.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#70 » by CoachD » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:08 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Jerry Stackhouse. I'm personally not quite on the fire billy train just yet but Jerry seems like a guy who can carry a little ethos with these stars and based on his performance with the 905 last year I'd bet he's a pretty decent tactician. I understand Jerry played in an era that was all about isolation basketball but based on his interview with Lowe back in July it doesn't sound like that's the style he preaches to his team.

Jerry is an intriguing prospect as a head coach, but at present, all he's doing is running Toronto's systems and philosophies so that if guys are called up, they can fit in seamlessly.

What Jerry would do if he was in charge, is a mystery
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#71 » by Pillendreher » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:41 am

Somebody players respect. The discrepancy between what is said in public and how the team actually plays is staggering.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#72 » by Pillendreher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 pm

I've now read 'Firing a coach mid-season means you're throwing in the towel' on reddit multiple times. This might be one the dumbest basketball takes I've ever seen. So if you're struggling and feel like the coach has done a bad job and that he has lost the team, you're admitting defeat by getting a new one in hope of better performances?!
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,114

Post#73 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Pillendreher wrote:I've now read 'Firing a coach mid-season means you're throwing in the towel' on reddit multiple times. This might be one the dumbest basketball takes I've ever seen. So if you're struggling and feel like the coach has done a bad job and that he has lost the team, you're admitting defeat by getting a new one in hope of better performances?!

We ''only'' have 56 games left :lol:

At this point any coach not named Billy Donovan or Mark Jackson would do the job.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#74 » by Pillendreher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:I've now read 'Firing a coach mid-season means you're throwing in the towel' on reddit multiple times. This might be one the dumbest basketball takes I've ever seen. So if you're struggling and feel like the coach has done a bad job and that he has lost the team, you're admitting defeat by getting a new one in hope of better performances?!

We ''only'' have 56 games left :lol:

At this point any coach not named Billy Donovan or Mark Jackson would do the job.

I get that training camp and preseason is important, but this 'Let's wait till the ASB' nonsense is not getting us anywhere. You have 4.5 months left. You're not getting better, you're getting worse. A couple of weeks ago we either lost close games or blew people out. Not it's a couple of days till Christmas and we have won by double digits twice in 19 games: The first game vs Dallas and the Warriors game. We can't even beat terrible teams convincingly.
I see no improvement. You gotta change something. Can't keep running against a brick wall and expect things to get better. 8 weeks into the season you're way past the 'They just need a little more time' mark.
InTheSabonus
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#75 » by InTheSabonus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

We can't go too hard discipline wise. If you straight up bench NBA stars you don't last long. Fizdale did it with Gasol and promptly got canned.

Just need someone that Russ will respect and listen to. And when said listening is occurring, it's the coach not trying to reinvent Russell's wheel but just a) stop with the dumbass jumpers and b) stick to your strengths (driving and scoring/dishing to teammates). Or someone that could convince Melo to be smarter with when he isos (if he has a mismatch on a shorter guard instead of trying and failing to shoot over 4s) and to embrace the catch and shoot role.

With Russ leading the team we're probably never going to get a dynamic offence. Best we can really hope for is just a coach with some common sense that knows how to work with, and get the best out of, the team he's got. And, most importantly, is someone that Russ respects (Just for the love of god not a remainder of a season with Mo Cheeks as interim).

Monty Williams is a possibility, but I feel like new orleans fans had similar gripes about him as we've had with our coaches. Stackhouse is interesting. It'd have to be someone involved in the league for a fairly long time, as a player and/or coach.

As for who I definitely don't want...JVG would be interesting but would probably just quit after a day. Mark Jackson is **** insane. Fizdale got popular from one post game interview but didn't really do much. Beyond that you're looking at Euro coaches (If Blatt and Lebron couldn't get along, what hope does any euro coach have with Russ), college coaches (Probably more likely to get a Hoiberg or a Donovan than a Brad Stevens) or well and truly done and dusted former coaches like...Lionel Hollins? Scott Skiles? Yeah.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#76 » by Pillendreher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 pm

On Thunder reddit people were saying Chauncey Billups. That's an interesting name imo.

He's also a rookie coach tho.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Pillendreher wrote:On Thunder reddit people were saying Chauncey Billups. That's an interesting name imo.

He's also a rookie coach tho.

Chauncey wants to be a GM right?

I wonder if he would consider playing point guard.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#78 » by spearsy23 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Mo Cheeks. That's how bad Donovan is.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#79 » by Pillendreher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:53 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Mo Cheeks. That's how bad Donovan is.

I liked that Melo+bench was working, yet Donovan wasn't having any of it in the 4th quarter. The last couple of games he's staggered less and less which is amazing in itself.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#80 » by Antinomy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 am

Posted this on the GB but thought I should put it here too.

Donovan needs to go.

Losing to the Knicks should be the last straw if OKC is serious about contending this year.

Lacking consistency from game to game is ultimately due to bad coaching. This team should be able to beat teams just by showing up with the amount of talent they have. The problem is, they have zero gameplan night in & night out.

Letting Westbrook grab rebounds & try to go coast to coast doing whatever the hell he wants is not a gameplan. Having PG come of a screen here or there for a spot up is not a gameplan. Letting Melo iso & jack up 22 footers is not a gameplan.

It’s no wonder role players always underperform in OKC. THERE’S NO GAMEPLAN, NO SYSTEM, NO ROLE FOR THEM. They’re just told to stand around & wait for the ball.

Blaming Westbrook is lazy. This has been going on for years even when Brooks was there.

This dude Donovan needs to be gone NOW.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder