Patrick Patterson..the next Kyle Singler

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Re: Patrick Patterson..the next Kyle Singler 

Post#41 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:43 pm

slick_watts wrote:i'll add this: westbrook is not an accurate passer. he does not hit a high % of his passes to shooters in their shooting pockets.

Yeah, you're right on that one.

He hits guys. But in terms of being on the Bron/CP3/Harden level of setting guys up where they're comfortable, he's just not there. Probably never will be. Morrow talked about it a bit when he first came here—likened it to a scrambling quarterback IIRC.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#42 » by CoachD » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:34 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Well to be fair we are not using him at all offensively. He's getting his 2 C&S 3PA per game that are happy accidents and not the result of executing a play.
He has gotten 2 total FGA at the rim so far. Not per game, total.

We're not giving him the ball to make plays. We're not giving him high % shots. The only thing we're letting him do is shoot out of rhythm 3s.

We're wasting him.

EDIT:

Synergy stats have him at a total of 9 poss. as the PnR Rollman.

Were many plays run for him in TOR?

Gotta ask Toronto fans. I don't mean running plays specifically for him. I'm talking about using him in more ways than just cleanup duty. Defensively, we're asking him to cover for other people's mistakes. Offensively, we're asking him to bail us out when we can't find offense.
He's not included in anything offensively. Sure, he's setting a screen here and there, but it's not like we're treating him as somebody who's supposed to contribute.

No he never had plays run for him, but he would get kick outs from Lowry or Derozan while he was camped out in the corner or on the wing. He's a MUCH BETTER 3pt shooter when he's set.

Toronto fans would get frustrated at Patterson's unwillingness to drive over the last 2 years.

We basically just accepted that he was a plus defender that would give you some points. and stretch the floor a little.

The reason Toronto didn't look to bring him back was because his injuries have slowed him tremendously and with Siakam (who is already better) and OG they didn't need him. Add to that the emergence of Poetl and re-signing of Ibaka ... Patterson had no spot here.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#43 » by CoachD » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:37 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:They've struck Patterson as backup center which is the main issue.

That's not just on Patterson tho. That's the combo Grant-Patterson. Those guys can't make up for playing out of position like that.

Patterson played really well as a small ball 5 in Toronto ... though his best stretch came when he and Biyombo closed games together and would play seamlessly together. Interestingly, both were considered major losses for Toronto and neither has looked very good since leaving.

Maybe a LITTLE credit to Coach Casey for understanding how to utilize these guys?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#44 » by Kabookalu » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:09 am

We did run some pick and pop stuff with him and Lowry, mostly on side line pick and rolls, though that was pretty much it as far as set plays.

The real value he brought to us was that he was a good decision maker at the top of the line. If he wasn't shooting a 3 pointer he was capable of taking it to the rim for a closer mid range shot or setting up one of our big men for an easy shot. A couple seasons ago he averaged 1.9apg off the bench. That doesn't sound like a lot but for a big man that rarely got the ball it kind of was. Him being able to shoot at the top of the 3 point line and drive to the rim or facilitate was what made those Lowry led bench units work so well.

So if he's just being used as a corner shooter it's not exactly the greatest use of his abilities, but at the same time he was already declining with us in Toronto that working the offense around him doesn't justify accommodating for him.
Read on Twitter
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#45 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:21 am

What's up with Patrick Patterson? Knee still bothering him? I thought that was a really nice pickup for you guys but it seems like he's offered very little so far. I feel like he's the key for you guys to really break out
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#46 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:10 am

CoachD wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:They've struck Patterson as backup center which is the main issue.

That's not just on Patterson tho. That's the combo Grant-Patterson. Those guys can't make up for playing out of position like that.

Patterson played really well as a small ball 5 in Toronto ... though his best stretch came when he and Biyombo closed games together and would play seamlessly together. Interestingly, both were considered major losses for Toronto and neither has looked very good since leaving.

Maybe a LITTLE credit to Coach Casey for understanding how to utilize these guys?

Both suffered from injuries though. Neither of them are 7'. So they kinda rely on their athleticism to protect the rim.
I dont remember any good offensive contribution from them too. They still cant score by themselves. They cant shoot.
Healthy Biyombo is really good backup center. Patterson was poor mens stretch 4. I guess Casey got good performances from them but i dont think he did exceptional job on those players.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder