Other (specify below)
No votes

Total votes: 25

NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Re: 12/5 - POSTGAME | Utah Jazz (94) - (100) Oklahoma City Thunder 

Post#41 » by NOOB77 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:26 pm

I think that 4th showed the key to getting everyone involved. You dont have to run that action every time down but it should be a standard set every couple times down the floor. Mix in some pick and roll with different players and I think that is the offense.

Re Melo: Melo has been in the past a good catch and shoot player when he got attempts. But I think to be an really effective catch and shoot player you have to run some sets for him early in the game. Get him meaningful touches not shots per say but touches. Get him involved in some early offense. Find a way to get him an easy bucket ect. This will get him in a rhythm then those catch and shot oppurtunities will start dropping I think. He isn't an elite shooter like a Klay Thompson or someone who can just stand out there and hit shot after shot. He has to be involved a little more not just a ball swinger at the top of the key.

Re PG and Melo: I dont think it matters between the two who gets shot attempts. I think some games they will take away PG and some games they will take away Melo. As long as they are both willing to accept on a nightly basis one of them will have to take a back seat and on most nights that will need to be Melo.

I just hope the 4th quarter the light came on because that 4th quarter offense was alot better than what we have seen recently.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#42 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:36 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this it?

Nope, that's a loop set.

Try this:

NOOB77
General Manager

Post#43 » by NOOB77 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:40 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this it?

Nope, that's a loop set.

Try this:

Yup I like it and if they take away Melo and PG then Adams comes up and jump right into the Pick and Roll set as the floor will be naturally spaced. Melo on one wing and PG on the other.

Like the second set against the Clippers but instead the 2 guard (Klay) coming up it should be Adams and they can just into that pick and roll. This set would get everyone involved and options for all 4 our big time players. Honestly they should run a version of this set almost everytime down as it could work with interchangable parts like the Warriors do.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#44 » by dakomish23 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:40 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this it?

Nope, that's a loop set.

Try this:

Thank you for adding the visuals
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#46 » by slick_watts » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:16 pm

i'm glad they are running sets but it doesn't dazzle me that most of these scores came on put backs or just good shot making from mid-range.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#47 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:29 pm

Really good article and encouraging. Seems like if they clean it up a little (Russ looking for both guys, PG keeping alert, Melo setting good screens) its something simple to go to. Got good looks too.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#48 » by NOOB77 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:33 pm

bondom34 wrote:

Really good article and encouraging. Seems like if they clean it up a little (Russ looking for both guys, PG keeping alert, Melo setting good screens) its something simple to go to. Got good looks too.

And if I think they run it early enough with enough pace if both options are taken away we just right into the high pick and roll with Adams and Russ.
DoubleJ13
Junior
And1: 145

Post#49 » by DoubleJ13 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:56 pm

Remember last season when people were ready to just trade Adams?

Adams & Robes won it doing all the dirty work while Russ kept having little burst to keep it from getting to far away. PG finally showed up to help out Adams & Russ with the scoring in the 2nd half & Melo had some big buckets late. Good stuff.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#50 » by Pillendreher » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:15 pm

bondom34 wrote:Yeah I don't see a way not to be encouraged by that one. Reversed script and maybe got over some demons.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not like we're not supposed to beat this Utah team (they just went on a hotstreak, but before that, they had a +0.4 NetRtG and were 24th in ORtG; I'm not gonna discount that because they're suddenly converting shots like Prime Ray Allen). It's not like our offense wasn't pathetic for ~70 % of the game. ;)

The most positive thing about his is that the team finally showed some resiliency and didn't back down from being down to a team. :)
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:20 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Yeah I don't see a way not to be encouraged by that one. Reversed script and maybe got over some demons.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not like we're not supposed to beat this Utah team (they just went on a hotstreak, but before that, they had a +0.4 NetRtG and were 24th in ORtG; I'm not gonna discount that because they're suddenly converting shots like Prime Ray Allen). It's not like our offense wasn't pathetic for ~70 % of the game. ;)

The most positive thing about his is that the team finally showed some resiliency and didn't back down from being down to a team. :)

Were 20 plus games into the season and.they're a top 10 team in net rating. You can't just ignore half the games played, thats a legitimately good team that returned its best player and Adams feasted on him.

And they were down 17 and came back to win, thats gotta be a huge mental boost. 32 4th q points and ran sets well.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#52 » by Pillendreher » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:35 pm

bondom34 wrote:Were 20 plus games into the season and.they're a top 10 team in net rating. You can't just ignore half the games played, thats a legitimately good team that returned its best player and Adams feasted on him.

I'm not ignoring 'half the games played'. I'm prioritizing the 19 game sample size over two weeks that had them playing out their mind. If you want to believe that playing both Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favors is keeping the No 24 in ORtG from being the No 1, have at it. I'm not buying that. I'm not acting like them having a 64 eFG% on catch and shoot shots is anything close to sustainable. Sure, they were coming in being on a huge hot streak, but let's not forget who they really are. I'm not gonna adjust my expectations in a way that will turn a close win against a .500 team into something (way) better because Donovan Mitchell is playing like a Top 5 wing and everybody is shooting 38+ % from 3 for them over this 7 game stretch.

bondom34 wrote:And they were down 17 and came back to win, thats gotta be a huge mental boost. 32 4th q points and ran sets well.

Yes and that is a good sign.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:44 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Were 20 plus games into the season and.they're a top 10 team in net rating. You can't just ignore half the games played, thats a legitimately good team that returned its best player and Adams feasted on him.

I'm not ignoring 'half the games played'. I'm prioritizing the 19 game sample size over two weeks that had them playing out their mind. If you want to believe that playing both Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favors is keeping the No 24 in ORtG from being the No 1, have at it. I'm not buying that. I'm not acting like them having a 64 eFG% on catch and shoot shots is anything close to sustainable. Sure, they were coming in being on a huge hot streak, but let's not forget who they really are. I'm not gonna adjust my expectations in a way that will turn a close win against a .500 team into something (way) better because Donovan Mitchell is playing like a Top 5 wing and everybody is shooting 38+ % from 3 for them over this 7 game stretch.

bondom34 wrote:And they were down 17 and came back to win, thats gotta be a huge mental boost. 32 4th q points and ran sets well.

Yes and that is a good sign.

Maybe because they were the team that finally stopped Utah from scoring, not that Utah isn't good? If you want to just snip chunks of the season out ignore the 2 crummy games OKC played against Dallas and Orlando and suddenly things look different too. You don't just ignore things that happened to fit a case.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#54 » by Pillendreher » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:52 pm

bondom34 wrote:You don't just ignore things that happened to fit a case.

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm merely assessing value to stretches of the season. If a team is suddenly vastly overperforming, it's reasonable to assume an outlier. That doesn't mean they're complete trash. I'm merely saying that if we want to actually back all that talk in the offseason up, we have to beat teams like Utah; teams that will hover around .500 and fight for a Playoffs spot.
That 6 game sample does not change my opinion of them. They work and get decent shots, but they don't have the players to maintain an above average offense. You don't just go from 24th to vastly above average offensively like this. Unless you have players who should perform better (hint: us), it is reasonable to assume that things won't change this drastically in the future.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 9:55 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm merely assessing value to stretches of the season. If a team is suddenly vastly overperforming, it's reasonable to assume an outlier. That doesn't mean they're complete trash. I'm merely saying that if we want to actually back all that talk in the offseason up, we have to beat teams like Utah; teams that will hover around .500 and fight for a Playoffs spot.
That 6 game sample does not change my opinion of them. They work and get decent shots, but they don't have the players to maintain an above average offense. You don't just go from 24th to vastly above average offensively like this. Unless you have players who should perform better (hint: us), it is reasonable to assume that things won't change this drastically in the future.

By that standard of a team is underperforming its talent it should matter just as much and you should have ignored a good bit of this teams struggles. It cuts both ways.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#56 » by Pillendreher » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:03 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

By that standard of a team is underperforming its talent it should matter just as much and you should have ignored a good bit of this teams struggles. It cuts both ways.

Of course it does. We are not performing like a Top 5 team. Yet the Jazz' performance before this streak of theirs was way closer to their potential than our performance. That's why I'm arguing that beating them is something we should be doing anyway. It's encouraging that we did, tho we still did not play all that well.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:07 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Of course it does. We are not performing like a Top 5 team. Yet the Jazz' performance before this streak of theirs was way closer to their potential than our performance. That's why I'm arguing that beating them is something we should be doing anyway. It's encouraging that we did, tho we still did not play all that well.

Theres no team any team should be beating inherently. Games aren't won on paper. That is a probable playoff team who they closed out pretty well last night. And if they had been playing on a hot streak shutting that down is even more impressive.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder