Alex Abrines | 14 PTS (5-8 FG, 4-6 3P)
16%
Russell Westbrook | 10 PTS (3-16 FG), 17 REB, 12 AST
3%
Jerami Grant | 9 PTS (3-6 FG), 6 REB, 3 BLK
No votes
Josh Huestis | 5 PTS (2-3 FG, 1-2 3P)
3%
Patrick Patterson | 8 PTS (2-4 FG, 2-3 3P)
10%
Other (specify below)
No votes

Total votes: 31

Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

12/13 - POSTGAME | Oklahoma City Thunder (100) - (95) Indiana Pacers 

Post#1 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:25 am

--- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- ---
Image OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER at INDIANA PACERS Image
• Record: 13-14
• Standing: #
http://www.nba.com/games/20171213/OKCIND
SUMMARY
BOXSCORE
OKC:
Spoiler:

IND:
Spoiler:

Image Thunder Upcoming 3
Spoiler:
12/15/17 @ Image PHI 6PM CST
12/16/17 @ Image NYK 6:30PM CST
12/18/17 vs Image DEN 7PM CST

HIGHLIGHTS

Image | NBA.com | Image | Thunder.com | Image | ESPN.com/NBA
ThunderTime
Sophomore
And1: 80

Re: 12/13 - POSTGAME | Oklahoma City Thunder (100) - (95) Indiana Pacers 

Post#2 » by ThunderTime » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:26 am

the system wont let me vote on Adams twice. Its not working right.
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#3 » by Thundershock88 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 am

I'd like to actually feel good about a win. Felt it one time this year. I'll take it. Beat the refs too.
ThunderTime
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#4 » by ThunderTime » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 am

Thundershock88 wrote:I'd like to actually feel good about a win. Felt it one time this year. I'll take it. Beat the refs too.

THUNDERUP MABOI!!!!!!
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#5 » by NaturalThunder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 am

So we beat a 16-11 team on the road in a game where Russ, PG, and Melo score a combined 34 points on 10/45 shooting.

I mean the Pacers aren't as good (talented) as their record, and they'll regress to the mean at some point, but we still make no damn sense.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 am

How can russ, George and Melo shoot so bad? They shot 10-45, 22%. Even when we win, Billups and Pierce said it’s one of the ugliest games they have ever seen. Adams was great.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#7 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:30 am

NaturalThunder wrote:So we beat a 16-11 team on the road in a game where Russ, PG, and Melo score a combined 34 points on 10/45 shooting.

I mean the Pacers aren't as good (talented) as their record, and they'll regress to the mean at some point, but we still make no damn sense.

Makes more sense if you assume Adams our best player.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#8 » by dakomish23 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 am

They have to do something to figure out this offensive funk. The obvious choice is move Melo to the bench so it gives PG more shots. If that’s an issue, do the Keith Bogans. Play him the first 3-4 minutes, bring in whomever to run with the rest of the starters, then let Melo rock with the bench.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
InTheSabonus
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#9 » by InTheSabonus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:32 am

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I'm fairly happy with how we played most of the second half; we actually went away from isos and towards the catch and shoot.

But then we almost mightily cocked it up in the last few minutes.

Some good things, some bad things, and then there's Steven Adams being almost entirely responsible for us winning it. At least there's one positive from this season.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#10 » by M2J » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:33 am

I think it's impossible for the Big 3 to shoot this poorly all season. I think, or hope that this will be a situation where the averages weight out in the end. It usually is that situation in the NBA

I think there is usually a good amount of quality shots that have just been missed, even layups being missed by Westbrook. I really think at the end of the day, the offense looks best when Westbrook is aggressive, but picks is spots to take BAD shots...when he takes bad shots for no reason...the snowball effect happens. When he's taking what the defense gives him, is a decoy and gets Melo and PG is their spots to take quick good shots, and of course spoon feeds Adams...they're at their best. That's how they start games, or how they play when they get their leads. His big nights are when he gets in a rhythm taking what the defense gives him.

Adams is THE BIG 1
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#11 » by Osirus89 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:34 am

I've hated the term "big 3" so far for a while now. Steven is a monster on effort every single night. He should be the spotlighted player for OKC when we have nationally televised games.
I'm so glad to see 2Pat being so effective on both sides. If he continues to contribute on a regular basis, that is a game changer.

The oft criticized bench won the game. As bad as Russ, PG, and Melo played, if the bench hadn't played as well as they did, it would have been a blowout.
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#12 » by alessandrux » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:35 am

The take away from this game should be that we can field (a) cohesive second unit(s), and they work even better if they do not have to cater to one 'superstar'.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#13 » by Pacersike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 am

Great ugly win tonight, you guys!

Still thinking everything will fall into place for the Thunder to make the playoffs and challenge the Warriors 8-)
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#14 » by dakomish23 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 am

Osirus89 wrote:I've hated the term "big 3" so far for a while now. Steven is a monster on effort every single night. He should be the spotlighted player for OKC when we have nationally televised games.
I'm so glad to see 2Pat being so effective on both sides. If he continues to contribute on a regular basis, that is a game changer.

The oft criticized bench won the game. As bad as Russ, PG, and Melo played, if the bench hadn't played as well as they did, it would have been a blowout.

Yep. Bench saved the game in the first half. Played with some spirit and energy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#15 » by Thundershock88 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:43 am

Although Russell didn't shoot well tonight, he didn't take many wild ones. Only one that bugged me was the 3 he took in the corner when he had George wide open in front of him.
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#16 » by Osirus89 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:48 am

Pacersike wrote:Great ugly win tonight, you guys!

Still thinking everything will fall into place for the Thunder to make the playoffs and challenge the Warriors 8-)

Thanks man! Wish you guys luck going forward as well. Victor seems to have found a home in Indiana. Hope he continues to play well and makes an all star team.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,056

Post#17 » by slick_watts » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:55 am

we attempt the most pull-up jump shots of any team in the nba per game and we're shooting 38% eFG on those (27th). this is almost a third of our field goal attempts.

westbrook, george, and melo account for almost all of these. felton has some but he's actually decent (46% eFG). the three stooges are shooting a combined 37% eFG on them. westbrook takes 10 a game, including 4.4 threes which he's shooting 29% on. that sounds bad, but he's also shooting 29% on his pull up twos so maybe he should take them all from beyond the arc.

westbrook attempted more pull up shots last year somehow and shot better (44% eFG). melo was also at 44% eFG on them last year. george was at 46% eFG%.

none of those figures are bad for pull up but none of them are good for an offense. one guy shooting a bunch of pull up shots a game as a usage sponge can exist in an effective offense as an outlet- a last resort. but we have three guys using pull up jump shots as a staple of their games. even if they were shooting their career average on these shots right now it would improve the offense some but not all that much.

there's a lot of hand wringing about 'bad shooting' but i think the problem is poor shot selection. you just can't have an effective offense with three guys shooting that many pull up shots, and none of them high volume pull up three point shooters like curry, harden, etc. this is what needs to be fixed most with the offense imo. less pull up shots for these guys.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#18 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 am

slick_watts wrote:we attempt the most pull-up jump shots of any team in the nba per game and we're shooting 38% eFG on those (27th). this is almost a third of our field goal attempts.

westbrook, george, and melo account for almost all of these. felton has some but he's actually decent (46% eFG). the three stooges are shooting a combined 37% eFG on them. westbrook takes 10 a game, including 4.4 threes which he's shooting 29% on. that sounds bad, but he's also shooting 29% on his pull up twos so maybe he should take them all from beyond the arc.

westbrook attempted more pull up shots last year somehow and shot better (44% eFG). melo was also at 44% eFG on them last year. george was at 46% eFG%.

none of those figures are bad for pull up but none of them are good for an offense. one guy shooting a bunch of pull up shots a game as a usage sponge can exist in an effective offense as an outlet- a last resort. but we have three guys using pull up jump shots as a staple of their games. even if they were shooting their career average on these shots right now it would improve the offense some but not all that much.

there's a lot of hand wringing about 'bad shooting' but i think the problem is poor shot selection. you just can't have an effective offense with three guys shooting that many pull up shots, and none of them high volume pull up three point shooters like curry, harden, etc. this is what needs to be fixed most with the offense imo. less pull up shots for these guys.

What about Russ blowing shots at the rim?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,056

Post#19 » by slick_watts » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03 am

Knrstz wrote:
slick_watts wrote:we attempt the most pull-up jump shots of any team in the nba per game and we're shooting 38% eFG on those (27th). this is almost a third of our field goal attempts.

What about Russ blowing shots at the rim?

he's not all that bad at the rim this year. not outside what i might consider ordinary variance. if there weren't other things going on that might suggest a balance or lift issue with his shooting i wouldn't be concerned. it would certainly be preferable for him to shoot any shot at or near the rim than a pull up shot right now. unfortunately, teams are playing so far off him in transition and the half court he's been coerced into jump shooting even when he doesn't want to.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#20 » by M2J » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 am

And 1

The pullup 3 is just a terrible shot period in terms of being a shot you can rely on.

So my opinion is that Westbrook has to get better looks for them to take catch and shoot opportunities (2s and 3s) and needs to make himself a catch and shoot or at least a catch and drive (with quicker decisions) threat, and either a pass or layup needs to come from those drives.

The key for this team is activation of quality offense. Not someone getting theirs, but someone making themself a threat and drawing defenders and allowing situations where there are easy buckets for others. There are 4 guys capable of activating the offense in Russ/Melo/PG/Felton. This team needs to make a rule that the ball has to move 2-3 times at least each possession unless it's a no brainer opportunity. Either the pick and roll needs to be run with a pass (which all 4 of those activators can run), a postup drawing attention creating passing around the horn or an easy look for someone. But guys have to be active off of the ball. Iso does not mean wait until the next possession.

When these guys take turns taking tough shots or Russ/PG go on turnover sprees....TIMEOUT and they need to be told to cut it out. There's positive things from the offense, just only when there's motion. I really don't think there's any selfishness, just dumb offense.

They need to continue practicing positive habits even when the shots don't go in, eventually the shots will go in. When they decide to go one on one and take quick shots, the unfortunate truth is the floor isn't balanced enough for them to play good defense and these shots become effectively liveball turnovers

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder