What happens if George leaves this year?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,186

Re: What happens if George leaves this year? 

Post#81 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Atomic Punk wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Vecsey reporting PG is committed to re-sign with OKC. We're screwed.

it would explain sam presti's inaction if this was the case- but there are a lot of other explanations as well.

i'm kind of shocked how many media and nba players think he's staying.

When I read that I thought if true, it could explain why no moves were made. Perhaps PG said that he was going to resign, the team had shown him enough already and dont piss away assets on guys like Bellinelli. It makes sense for the team to hold on to its assets to give them more flexibility in the offseason if they didn’t see a move out there that they considered a difference maker. Regroup in the offseason, shore up some areas of weakness and try again.

On the flip side, I thought Vescey is full of s**t and maybe PG has already indicated he is not coming back so the team decided to hold on to whatever assets it had left to start a rebuild.

Those are really the only two reasons I can see for not making a a move.

A third option being that teams like Memphis would rather let Evans walk than be stuck with Abrines or Singler even if it meant getting a second round pick.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#82 » by Atomic Punk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Knrstz wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
it would explain sam presti's inaction if this was the case- but there are a lot of other explanations as well.

i'm kind of shocked how many media and nba players think he's staying.

When I read that I thought if true, it could explain why no moves were made. Perhaps PG said that he was going to resign, the team had shown him enough already and dont piss away assets on guys like Bellinelli. It makes sense for the team to hold on to its assets to give them more flexibility in the offseason if they didn’t see a move out there that they considered a difference maker. Regroup in the offseason, shore up some areas of weakness and try again.

On the flip side, I thought Vescey is full of s**t and maybe PG has already indicated he is not coming back so the team decided to hold on to whatever assets it had left to start a rebuild.

Those are really the only two reasons I can see for not making a a move.

A third option being that teams like Memphis would rather let Evans walk than be stuck with Abrines or Singler even if it meant getting a second round pick.

True, but I think that there must have been options out there, especially if they were willing to include Ferg.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#83 » by Pillendreher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:37 pm

bondom34 wrote:Vecsey reporting PG is committed to re-sign with OKC. We're screwed.

Does this guy have an inside track on George or this is just some play to get people to pay for his Patreon?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect

Post#84 » by Atomic Punk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

Does this guy have an inside track on George or this is just some play to get people to pay for his Patreon?

His track record is spotty at best. I know for a fact that George Karl and some Sonics players wanted to kill the guy over some “reporting” he did on the team in the mid 90’s.
Sun_Tzu
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#85 » by Sun_Tzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
The league really **** up with the Cap Spike. They should have never let that happen like this. You basically got two to three straight FA classes overpaid and now guys will get underpaid because it will take years for the bad contracts to come off the books.
The only team that really benefited from this is the Warriors: This crazy anamoly enabled them to go after a Top 5 player and now their opponents can't even spend money to catch up because the cap isn't climbing anymore.

It really surprises me that front offices didn’t see it coming.

Afaik the cap projections were more 'aggressive' before the start of last season, as in the cap spiking would be going on for quite some time (like 5-10 million every season). But even under that assumption, a lot of these contracts were just straight up horrible (and everybody could see that). So I don't know what they were thinking.

Exhibit A - Portland Trailblazers
If you are ever depressed about the Thunder cap situation, go take a look at the Portland contracts.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,005

Post#86 » by slick_watts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Atomic Punk wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

His track record is spotty at best. I know for a fact that George Karl and some Sonics players wanted to kill the guy over some “reporting” he did on the team in the mid 90’s.

vecsey accused nate mcmillan about milking his injuries in the mid-90's because he was going to be a free agent. he also got into a fight in a seattle toy store. he was also the one to report that shawn kemp was an alcoholic. the last one was the big one since kemp reportedly shared this in a players only meeting, and no one knew where vecsey got it from.

that was his thing though back then. skip bayless type.
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect

Post#87 » by Atomic Punk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

vecsey accused nate mcmillan about milking his injuries in the mid-90's because he was going to be a free agent. he also got into a fight in a seattle toy store. he was also the one to report that shawn kemp was an alcoholic. the last one was the big one since kemp reportedly shared this in a players only meeting, and no one knew where vecsey got it from.

that was his thing though back then. skip bayless type.

It was always the timing of his “reports” that I found suspect. That and he would be very subtle about how he would break certain stories, a lot of wink, wink, so to speak. He and George literally hated each other. George thought that Vecsey had an inside source that was fairly high up in the organization and this person was feeding stuff to Vecsey in an attempt to undermine him. Of course George thought that the entire universe was out to get him so.....Those were some fun times in Sonics Land.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#88 » by NOOB77 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

I think PG signs a 1+1 with us and Melo opts in. They give it one more year and hope Roberson comes back healthy IMO. Then after next year Melo and PG will be gone if they go two years without WCFs. The only way my opinioin changes is if LBJ goes to LAL.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,186

Post#89 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm

I’m not looking to bounce around and play for multiple teams throughout my career," George said. "The decision I make will ultimately be to build something. So, this next decision, whatever it is, is to make sure I’m there for a duration."

http://newsok.com/paul-george-answers-questions-about-his-future-...-and-so-does-russell-westbrook/article/5583861

I really hope this is true. The idea of a one year deal just doesn’t appeal to me.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#90 » by Pillendreher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 am

Knrstz wrote:
I’m not looking to bounce around and play for multiple teams throughout my career," George said. "The decision I make will ultimately be to build something. So, this next decision, whatever it is, is to make sure I’m there for a duration."

http://newsok.com/paul-george-answers-questions-about-his-future-...-and-so-does-russell-westbrook/article/5583861

I really hope this is true. The idea of a one year deal just doesn’t appeal to me.

If that indeed is true, it might come down to what team can offer him the most over the next couple of years (ie during his prime).
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#91 » by spearsy23 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Oddly I feel a lot more like he might stay than our record should indicate.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#92 » by Pillendreher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Oddly I feel a lot more like he might stay than our record should indicate.

So I'm not the only one believing in Playoff Ferguson. 8-) :P
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#93 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Outside Philly I just don't see any realistic options if its about basketball.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#94 » by Pillendreher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pm

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#95 » by getrichordie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 am

Knrstz wrote:We would essentially be faced with two scenarios. George leaves and Melo opts in and we have no cap room, or George and Melo both leave and we have cap room.

My guess if is if George leaves and Melo opts in, then we are more likely to trade Russ and rebuild. If not, we would essentially be wasting another year of russ’ prime waiting for Melo’s deal to expire before we could pursue anyone.

If George leaves and Melo opts out will we try to use our cap space to sign some decent players at a low price? I believe only four teams are projected to have cap space next year. This scenario would make OKC the fifth team.

$93,903,221 would be the exact payroll figure correct? That leaves us $7,096,779 in cap space and an $8-9 million Mid-Level Exception. Also, it should be noted that doesn't count cap holds on Huestis, Grant, Collison, and Felton.

So the roster looks like this (assuming Roberson is still dealing with the injury) if that is the route we are going in:

Westbrook/x
x/Abrines/Ferguson
x/x/Singler
x/Patterson
Adams/Johnson

That's five huge holes to fill for a contender:

- starting 2
- starting 3
- starting 4
- back-up wing
- back-up big

$15,000,000 ain't gonna get it done.

Question, though! Can teams go over the cap to sign our own non-bird UFA (Felton, Grant, Huestis)?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#96 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:55 am

The cap holds for Felton, Grant and Huestis would be there until they renounced their rights. They would only be able to use the MLE. The MLE counts against the cap as a hold and they would have to waive it if they were going to use the cap space and since the MLE is more then the cap space they would use the MLE. There is also a cap hold for each empty roster spot of about $600K. They should have bird rights for Grant and Huestis. They should not have early bird rights on Felton.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
thekaoswithin
Junior
And1: 240

Post#97 » by thekaoswithin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:44 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:The cap holds for Felton, Grant and Huestis would be there until they renounced their rights. They would only be able to use the MLE. The MLE counts against the cap as a hold and they would have to waive it if they were going to use the cap space and since the MLE is more then the cap space they would use the MLE. There is also a cap hold for each empty roster spot of about $600K. They should have bird rights for Grant and Huestis. They should not have early bird rights on Felton.

Ring chasers could be an option, if we make any kind of noise in the playoffs this year.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#98 » by getrichordie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 am

thekaoswithin wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:The cap holds for Felton, Grant and Huestis would be there until they renounced their rights. They would only be able to use the MLE. The MLE counts against the cap as a hold and they would have to waive it if they were going to use the cap space and since the MLE is more then the cap space they would use the MLE. There is also a cap hold for each empty roster spot of about $600K. They should have bird rights for Grant and Huestis. They should not have early bird rights on Felton.

Ring chasers could be an option, if we make any kind of noise in the playoffs this year.

Potential ring-chasers that I'd take a hard look @ after renouncing Huestis & Grant:

wings:

J.J. Redick (depends on price, but good locker-room veteran, can help mentor Ferguson, smart player)
Avery Bradley (maybe we can get him on bargain deal?)
Nick Young (can catch fire and open things up for entire offense, would be ideal if Roberson can come back full strength; Ferguson won't be ready)
Mario Hezonja (wing with upside left to see, IMO; could make a Ferguson trade more palatable)

bigs:

Omri Casspi (assuming Melo opts out, can be head for cheap; if not, too redundant)
Jeff Green (same as Casspi; provides more rebounding, transition offense, better defense)
Aron Baynes (diet Adams; plays defense, makes hustle plays, doesn't need ball & very scrappy)
Greg Monroe (obvious want right here as his rebounding and second unit scoring would be highly valued; think a better defensive version of Kanter)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#99 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:23 am

Melo is opting in no doubt. He's an expiring deal so I'd imagine OKC would try to bring someone in a trade since thats the best way for them to acquire assets. They can take a bad deal off someone's hands and get a nice young player or picks.
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Post#100 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Doesn't Melo still have a NTC? It makes dealing his expiring impossible. I could see him opting out if he is promised his current money plus additional cash over 2 years. I am not sure if it is better for OKC to just let him expire or get him to resign at 40 million over 2 years? Reducing his salary from 28 to 20 next year actually makes a huge difference if PG flees. On the other hand maybe its better to just wait a year for him to go completely off the books.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder