You are the GM...George comes back, Melo Opts in, Ownership will pay tax

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

You are the GM...George comes back, Melo Opts in, Ownership will pay tax 

Post#1 » by Dn4sty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:34 am

So let’s assume that ownership is good with tax, George comes back to OKC, Melo opts in. What realistic moves do you make this summer to make this team the best it can be for next season?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Re: You are the GM...George comes back, Melo Opts in, Ownership will pay tax 

Post#2 » by slick_watts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 am

Dn4sty wrote:So let’s assume that ownership is good with tax, George comes back to OKC, Melo opts in. What realistic moves do you make this summer to make this team the best it can be for next season?

huestis and grant are probably gone as ufa.

probably find a way to trade singler's expiring, and use tax mle to sign someone? get felton back on vet min.

even if those guys stay it's kinda bleak. melo's a serious albatross.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 am

Mostly just roll it back. They actually looked really good until Dre went down. See what Singler's expiring and Abrines can get you and what backup bigs are available for the min.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#4 » by retrobro90 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:47 am

Do we still get our BAE if we're past the tax threshold? Assuming blank check from ownership I'm using that and some minimums to find multiple diamonds in the rough. Agree we should bring back Ray for vet min. I'd probably give Grant the MLE. He's just too young and still improving. Shame we didn't pick up Huestis' option but it's hard to tell what we do with him now. He's got some obvious flaws but if you asked me who I'd rather pay to come off the bench for us between him and James Ennis I'd probably shrug. One's a little better and the other one's three years younger.

I'd trade or waive Singler just to create an open spot we can play with. Assuming Collison's spot is gone too that leaves us with three open minimum salary guys. I hope our FO gets a little creative with it so we can stay relatively young and quick. Maybe scout some overseas dudes or some better G leaguers. If a proven vet wants to take a pay cut to come play for us that's a different story (a la David West, Ray Allen etc) but I think we'd be better served rolling the dice on getting our own Ty Wallace, David Nwaba, Rodney McGruder, etc than paying old ornery Arron Afflalo and company.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#5 » by Pillendreher » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Hot damn! I just re-signed George to a 1+1 Max, had Melo decline his ETO, let Huestis go, re-signed Felton for the Vet Min and Grant for 15/3 (TO) and traded Abrines+Singler+Ferguson for the talked about Lee+O'Quinn package. $ 141 million tax payment :lol:

If we were to just dump Abrines and Singler into space as expiring contracts, we'd be looking at $ 66 million in taxes with those moves I mentioned.

Melo accepting a new deal would help immensely. I don't know if he'd be willing to do that do. Doing all those deals and the trade with Melo re-signing for 50/3 with a TO (which is still an overpay), we'd be looking at

Russ/Felton/x
Lee/Roberson/x
George/x
Anthony/Patterson/Grant
Adams/O'Quinn/Johnson

with $ 74 million in taxes.

Honestly though: If they were to bring back Grant, I don't think Patterson stays. We're not in a position to pay that kind of money for backups.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,045

Post#6 » by Reign23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Hot damn! I just re-signed George to a 1+1 Max, had Melo decline his ETO, let Huestis go, re-signed Felton for the Vet Min and Grant for 15/3 (TO) and traded Abrines+Singler+Ferguson for the talked about Lee+O'Quinn package. $ 141 million tax payment :lol:

If we were to just dump Abrines and Singler into space as expiring contracts, we'd be looking at $ 66 million in taxes with those moves I mentioned.

Melo accepting a new deal would help immensely. I don't know if he'd be willing to do that do. Doing all those deals and the trade with Melo re-signing for 50/3 with a TO (which is still an overpay), we'd be looking at

Russ/Felton/x
Lee/Roberson/x
George/x
Anthony/Patterson/Grant
Adams/O'Quinn/Johnson

Honestly though: If they were to bring back Grant, I don't think Patterson stays. We're not in a position to pay that kind of money for backups.

that roster would be dope for sure.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#7 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Dn4sty wrote:So let’s assume that ownership is good with tax, George comes back to OKC, Melo opts in. What realistic moves do you make this summer to make this team the best it can be for next season?

Hire a new coach.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#8 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Do we still get our BAE if we're past the tax threshold? Assuming blank check from ownership I'm using that and some minimums to find multiple diamonds in the rough.

BAE and MLE are mutually exclusive.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#9 » by dakomish23 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 am

Pillendreher wrote:Hot damn! I just re-signed George to a 1+1 Max, had Melo decline his ETO, let Huestis go, re-signed Felton for the Vet Min and Grant for 15/3 (TO) and traded Abrines+Singler+Ferguson for the talked about Lee+O'Quinn package. $ 141 million tax payment :lol:

Russ/Felton/x
Lee/Roberson/x
George/x
Anthony/Patterson/Grant
Adams/O'Quinn/Johnson

Lee and KOQ should of been a part of the original deal. It seemed so obvious that those would be the needs before the deal
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#10 » by Dn4sty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am

bondom34 wrote:Mostly just roll it back. They actually looked really good until Dre went down. See what Singler's expiring and Abrines can get you and what backup bigs are available for the min.

Id think that you could pull something similar to what Houston did with CP3 (obviously not CP3 caliber) but when rosters can expand to 20, take up the additional difference in non guaranteed contracts and attach Singler/Abrines to the deal to a team with tax issues now or upcoming. Several possible teams

Milwaukee - paying Jabari and no longer need/want to pay the rest of Snell contract
Portland - Paying Nurkic and Shabazz, so maybe moving Harkless
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#11 » by Pillendreher » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am

dakomish23 wrote:

Russ/Felton/x
Lee/Roberson/x
George/x
Anthony/Patterson/Grant
Adams/O'Quinn/Johnson

Lee and KOQ should of been a part of the original deal. It seemed so obvious that those would be the needs before the deal

With positive momentum chemistry and a robust buyout market, I know we're gonna be fine. :roll:
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#12 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 8:57 pm

Try to trade Carmelo?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:24 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Try to trade Carmelo?

Have you told Presti about this idea?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#14 » by spearsy23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Has anyone said fire Billy Donovan, or are we all shuffling deck chairs?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#15 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:27 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Has anyone said fire Billy Donovan, or are we all shuffling deck chairs?

It's been mentioned, but no one thinks it will actually happen. We're just shuffling deck chairs.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#16 » by nedleeds » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard are matching salary ?
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: You are the GM...George comes back, Melo Opts in, Ownership will pay tax 

Post#17 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:23 pm

nedleeds wrote:

Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard are matching salary ?
It'd be an upgrade. At least they could be benched by the coach without backlash. They may hit open shots too and try harder on D.

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: You are the GM...George comes back, Melo Opts in, Ownership will pay tax 

Post#18 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Knrstz wrote:

I'll send him the text today. I'll tell him to take Luol Deng and beg for a 2nd rounder too.

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#19 » by spearsy23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:11 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
Knrstz wrote:

I'll send him the text today. I'll tell him to take Luol Deng and beg for a 2nd rounder too.

This makes the team better.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,137

Post#20 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Over or Under 10% that PG13 stays? if he leaves, what are the odds that he does some S&T? I'm more confident about the second option :(

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder