Preferable First Round Matchups

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Who would you like to see in the 1st Round?

Utah Jazz
20%
San Antonio Spurs
10%
Denver Nuggets
3%
Minnesota Timberwolves
7%
Golden State Warriors
43%
New Orleans Pelicans
3%
Portland Trail Blazers
13%

Total votes: 30

Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: Preferable First Round Matchups 

Post#61 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Same thing, but at least neither have a first year player as a centerpiece. I think Portland/Utah are on the same level, we're a bit behind, and Nola/sa/den/Minny are a bit farther back. Since it's pretty much Utah or Portland I'll take the one that's a good matchup and more likely to regress.

Portland is a .500 team that went on a streak for a couple of games.

68 non-streak games:

105.4 ORtG (would rank 18th on the season)
105.3 DRtG (would rank 12th on the season)
+0.1 NetRtG (would rank 18th on the season)

Us struggling against them does not turn them into a good team.

If you discount the games where teams played their best then they generally look average or worst, that's not novel analysis.

If you're mediocre for 83 % of the season and go on a random streak for for 16 % of the season, I'm going with the 83 %. Portland has been underwhelming offensively and above average defensively all season long. A narrative based on not even 1/5 of the season is not gonna change my mind about that. And hell, even with that run of theirs, they're still just 10th in NetRtG. NetRtG/A has us at +3.4 and them at +2.4.

If they had started the season 13-0 and played .500 ball the rest of the way, nobody would have considered calling them 'good'. Because they aren't.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#62 » by spearsy23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

68 non-streak games:

If you discount the games where teams played their best then they generally look average or worst, that's not novel analysis.

If you're mediocre for 83 % of the season and go on a random streak for for 16 % of the season, I'm going with the 83 %. Portland has been underwhelming offensively and above average defensively all season long. A narrative based on not even 1/5 of the season is not gonna change my mind about that. And hell, even with that run of theirs, they're still just 10th in NetRtG. NetRtG/A has us at +3.4 and them at +2.4.

If they had started the season 13-0 and played .500 ball the rest of the way, nobody would have considered calling them 'good'. Because they aren't.

Games don't stop counting because they're played consecutively. Having those 14 wins spread throughout the season would not make them more indicative of their capabilities.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#63 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:57 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:If you discount the games where teams played their best then they generally look average or worst, that's not novel analysis.

Games don't stop counting because they're played consecutively. Having those 14 wins spread throughout the season would not make them more indicative of their capabilities.

And if they had been spread throughout the season, we wouldn't be having this conversation because there'd be no way to overrate them like this. I'm not saying ignore them completely; I'm saying don't overrate them just because they happened in the way of a run and because they happened just a couple of games ago. They are still what they've been all season long, even with that run of theirs: Average offensively, above average defensively. And that's what I'm trying to stress.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,137

Post#64 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Memphis will play this one to win. Old rivalry with them and a L won't change anything in the lottery if I'm not wrong.

Still, if we are not able to beat them, we deserve to get destroyed by the rockets.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,553

Post#65 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Knrstz wrote:let’s not act like Utah beating okc is some kind of massive upset. Conversely you can argue that talent will only carry you so far when you play our version of isoball and can’t close out three point shooters. We’re willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt because of a nice run of ten or so games before Dre got hurt but we’re going to discredit what Utah has done over 35+ games? That’s just bias.

No.I'm willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt because they have underachieved all season long (and that's not just based on a lack of shooting or whatever), yet is still one of the more talented in the league. When you have two Top 15 players, you can't lose to a team that was expected to win 30 games or so. If you do, it's an upset.

They were expected to win 30 games when Mitchell was seen as an average first round pick rookie who'd be decent for 15 MPG as a backup and won't move the needle in his first season. But he very quickly became a legitimate star scorer which changed everything.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#66 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Knrstz wrote:let’s not act like Utah beating okc is some kind of massive upset. Conversely you can argue that talent will only carry you so far when you play our version of isoball and can’t close out three point shooters. We’re willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt because of a nice run of ten or so games before Dre got hurt but we’re going to discredit what Utah has done over 35+ games? That’s just bias.

No.I'm willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt because they have underachieved all season long (and that's not just based on a lack of shooting or whatever), yet is still one of the more talented in the league. When you have two Top 15 players, you can't lose to a team that was expected to win 30 games or so. If you do, it's an upset.

They were expected to win 30 games when Mitchell was seen as an average first round pick rookie who'd be decent for 15 MPG as a backup and won't move the needle in his first season. But he very quickly became a legitimate star scorer which changed everything.

He's not a 'legitimate star scorer'. He's very good for his age, but he has ways to go. Per 36, his scoring numbers resemble Jordan Clarkson and Michael Beasley this season or Dennis Schröder from last season. And I know he has been doing it on a (much) higher volume, but he's still just a rookie.

Ingles for example is also quite important to what Utah does offensively:

Read on Twitter

Either way: You won't beat them by out-defending them. Gotta find ways to score.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#67 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

68 non-streak games:

you are the king of selection bias.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#68 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:If you discount the games where teams played their best then they generally look average or worst, that's not novel analysis.

you are the king of selection bias.

We all have to play our role.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#69 » by Balkman32 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Wow I am shocked at how unsupportive this board is of this team. I think ya'all are going to be shocked.

This team is going to come out of the gate with a big chip on the shoulder. If they don't end up playing Houston I 100% believe that the Thunder will sweep the first-round series. This team is just too talented compared to others.
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

Post#70 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 pm

talent is there, effort isnt
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#71 » by Thundershock88 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Sweep?!?! Slow down. What has this team done to make you believe that?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#72 » by bondom34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Wow I am shocked at how unsupportive this board is of this team. I think ya'all are going to be shocked.

This team is going to come out of the gate with a big chip on the shoulder. If they don't end up playing Houston I 100% believe that the Thunder will sweep the first-round series. This team is just too talented compared to others.

You don't have to be a homer to be supportive.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#73 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Balkman32 wrote:This team is just too talented compared to others.

What team is OKC legitimately more talented than that they are going to play in the first round? I can't think of a single team. Yes, Russ will be the best player in any series unless they are playing Houston or GS, but overall the top 8 of the other team will be better then the top 8 of OKC. That is BEFORE we factoring the points OKC will lose due to coaching. Last year OKC was good enough to beat Houston with competent coaching. Is OKC talented enough to beat Utah, Portland, SA, etc? Sure, but there is no chance they do it with Donovan setting the rotations and letting them play street ball.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by bondom34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 pm

And if we're doing selection bias this team is 10-2 on Wednesdays with a mov of 11.5. I've found the key.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#75 » by spearsy23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 pm

bondom34 wrote:And if we're doing selection bias this team is 10-2 on Wednesdays with a mov of 11.5. I've found the key.

What's the analytics on that?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#76 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Thabo Sefolosha wrote:talent is there, effort isnt

Effort can be switched on when it matters. High IQ basketball cannot.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,553

Post#77 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

He's not a 'legitimate star scorer'. He's very good for his age, but he has ways to go. Per 36, his scoring numbers resemble Jordan Clarkson and Michael Beasley this season or Dennis Schröder from last season. And I know he has been doing it on a (much) higher volume, but he's still just a rookie.

Ingles for example is also quite important to what Utah does offensively:

Read on Twitter

Per36 is a useless stat when comparing first options and bench scorers who mostly play against reserves. Mitchell is the clear first option on a top team and is scoring on a good efficiency for his volume, especially considering the Jazz are a defence first type of team. His efficiency and PPG stats are pretty similar to Westbrook and PG13's for this season. And he passes the eye test too, at least for me, he can already score in so many ways and is shooting 64% at the rim at a pretty high volume, which is amazing for a guy his size.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#78 » by Balkman32 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:This team is just too talented compared to others.

What team is OKC legitimately more talented than that they are going to play in the first round? I can't think of a single team. Yes, Russ will be the best player in any series unless they are playing Houston or GS, but overall the top 8 of the other team will be better then the top 8 of OKC. That is BEFORE we factoring the points OKC will lose due to coaching. Last year OKC was good enough to beat Houston with competent coaching. Is OKC talented enough to beat Utah, Portland, SA, etc? Sure, but there is no chance they do it with Donovan setting the rotations and letting them play street ball.

Donovan has shown that he has stuff up his sleeves. OKC is a top 5 talent team in this league. Only ones with more talent are probably GSW and Houston. Boston would be in that convo but with no Irving and Hayward, the Thunder would roll on those guys.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#79 » by dakomish23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:16 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:Wow I am shocked at how unsupportive this board is of this team. I think ya'all are going to be shocked.

Hoping they don’t make the playoffs & wishing for the season to end is being supportive?

You don’t have to be a homer but if you’re going to be negative most of the year, I don’t see how that can be classified as supportive.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

Hoping they don’t make the playoffs & wishing for the season to end is being supportive?

You don’t have to be a homer but if you’re going to be negative most of the year, I don’t see how that can be classified as supportive.

Some people have wanted to tank 2 years now. I can't call that less of a fan, they see a different plan. I've at times needed to step away from.this team bit will always hope for the best even when I don't expect it. Just gotta hope pg stays and they do Some.damage.

They got what might be their best matchup and the 4 seed. After all this. Its weird

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder