Jazz in 7
5%

Total votes: 79

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: WCQF | (4) Oklahoma City Thunder vs Utah Jazz (5) | UTA 2-1 

Post#701 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:29 pm

This is just embarrassing. Yes, by all means, wait until you've lost 2 straight games in a 7 game series to start issuing your guarantees.

Read on Twitter
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,349

Post#702 » by hardenASG13 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Well if Russ keeps playing bad every game, they are in big trouble. As a thunder fan, I hope he gets it together, and think he will. PG should have at least 1 more good game in him too, hopefully game 4.

Those calling for Russ to be traded, after they go down 2-1, with some saying itd be addition by subtraction should really just become warriors fans. Why are you, as a grown man, loyal to a team but willing to turn on that teams heart and soul (and best player) whenever he plays bad? Pathetic really. Why do you like the thunder, if you hate Westbrooks game, unless you are from oklahoma? There are tons of other stars and teams to follow, and I think the answer is "they used to have Kevin Durant and be good every year." Well, Durant is gone, and it doesn't look like they are getting another one.

Blaming their defense on Roberson, while he obviously was a very good player in that end, as pilendreher said, is a huge cop out. It's 1 perimeter defensive player. This is on the coaching (he's finally being completely called out/exposed, at least), and roster construction. Presti is and has been a complete joke. They have 1 big guy and are playing likely the worst team for that with the size of Utah's bigs. That's the main problem defensively. Adams HAS to stay out foul trouble, and itd be nice if He could produce offensively against a guy he can't push around, or if he was any kind of shot blocking presence. Maybe his 100 million can get traded too?

Look it's 2-1, things change game to game. There is a chance Russ and George play good in game 4( Russ has to take and make his pull ups, aggressively, all game), and adams can manage to stay on the court. Also a chance rubio comes back to earth (if it was a thunder player playing over his head, most on here would chalk it up to variance, and predict regression).
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,235

Post#703 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:35 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Well if Russ keeps playing bad every game, they are in big trouble. As a thunder fan, I hope he gets it together, and think he will. PG should have at least 1 more good game in him too, hopefully game 4.

Those calling for Russ to be traded, after they go down 2-1, with some saying itd be addition by subtraction should really just become warriors fans. Why are you, as a grown man, loyal to a team but willing to turn on that teams heart and soul (and best player) whenever he plays bad? Pathetic really. Why do you like the thunder, if you hate Westbrooks game, unless you are from oklahoma? There are tons of other stars and teams to follow, and I think the answer is "they used to have Kevin Durant and be good every year." Well, Durant is gone, and it doesn't look like they are getting another one.

Blaming their defense on Roberson, while he obviously was a very good player in that end, as pilendreher said, is a huge cop out. It's 1 perimeter defensive player. This is on the coaching (he's finally being completely called out/exposed, at least), and roster construction. Presti is and has been a complete joke. They have 1 big guy and are playing likely the worst team for that with the size of Utah's bigs. That's the main problem defensively. Adams HAS to stay out foul trouble, and itd be nice if He could produce offensively against a guy he can't push around, or if he was any kind of shot blocking presence. Maybe his 100 million can get traded too?

Look it's 2-1, things change game to game. There is a chance Russ and George play good in game 4( Russ has to take and make his pull ups, aggressively, all game), and adams can manage to stay on the court.

What’s pathetic is your pick of OKC in 5. So you can critize Presti and call him a complete joke but others cant critize the player you like? Sorry it doesn’t work that way.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#704 » by spearsy23 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Well if Russ keeps playing bad every game, they are in big trouble. As a thunder fan, I hope he gets it together, and think he will. PG should have at least 1 more good game in him too, hopefully game 4.

Look it's 2-1, things change game to game. There is a chance Russ and George play good in game 4( Russ has to take and make his pull ups, aggressively, all game), and adams can manage to stay on the court. Also a chance rubio comes back to earth (if it was a thunder player playing over his head, most on here would chalk it up to variance, and predict regression).

I love Westbrook, but if we lose this series there's no Shame in admitting we took our shot and failed. There's not enough time left in his career to properly build around him, especially not with another year of Melo at 30 million and Adams at 25.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#705 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Players are useful only so long as they are useful. They're like red solo cups in that regard. I have no emotional attachments to players at this point. Blind homerism is a much more immature view.

I don't believe Westbrook is the sort of dude you can build a title contender around. Could he be a good second banana? You bet. Is he exciting and can sell a lot of tickets. Absolutely. If you're satisfied with that then I understand not wanting to trade him. But the best player on a title contender? I don't believe that is something that will ever be said about him so I for one am ready to move on.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#706 » by spearsy23 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Players are useful only so long as they are useful. They're like red solo cups in that regard. I have no emotional attachments to players at this point. Blind homerism is a much more immature view.

I don't believe Westbrook is the sort of dude you can build a title contender around. Could he be a good second banana? You bet. Is he exciting and can sell a lot of tickets. Absolutely. If you're satisfied with that then I understand not wanting to trade him. But the best player on a title contender? I don't believe that is something that will ever be said about him so I for one am ready to move on.

100% disagree, Russ has already been the best player in a title contender. It just takes a great team and him where he doesn't have to be the best scorer as well as creator.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#707 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:20 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Players are useful only so long as they are useful. They're like red solo cups in that regard. I have no emotional attachments to players at this point. Blind homerism is a much more immature view.

100% disagree, Russ has already been the best player in a title contender. It just takes a great team and him where he doesn't have to be the best scorer as well as creator.

Could have built or can build? That’s what the decision comes down to for me.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#708 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 pm

spearsy23 wrote:

That was Durant's team and you know it. They didn't build that team around Westbrook. (Unless you're referring to this year which is just crazy talk)
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#709 » by Pillendreher » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

That was Durant's team and you know it. They didn't build that team around Westbrook. (Unless you're referring to this year which is just crazy talk)

Russ was better than him since 2014.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#710 » by spearsy23 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Knrstz wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

Could have built or can build? That’s what the decision comes down to for me.

Can be, just not here. Adams and Melo killed that
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#711 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:100% disagree, Russ has already been the best player in a title contender. It just takes a great team and him where he doesn't have to be the best scorer as well as creator.

Russ was better than him since 2014.

Even so, the team wasn't built around him. At best it was 1A and 1B (with Durant being an essential part of the equation).
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#712 » by spearsy23 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

2016 Westbrook was absolutely the best player. The team was built around both of them.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#713 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:100% disagree, Russ has already been the best player in a title contender. It just takes a great team and him where he doesn't have to be the best scorer as well as creator.

2016 Westbrook was absolutely the best player. The team was built around both of them.

Well if you can figure out how to get a player on Durant's tier (not George who isn't close to Durant, or Melo who is washed) back on this team to bolster Westbrook so we can keep this thing going I'm all ears.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#714 » by AGE1207 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Two nights in a row with Adams in foul trouble. It's not a coincidence, it's a Snyder game plan. Jazz control the paint and if u control the paint, u are very close to home in a series.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#715 » by spearsy23 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Well if you can figure out how to get a player on Durant's tier (not George who isn't close to Durant, or Melo who is washed) back on this team to bolster Westbrook so we can keep this thing going I'm all ears.

I didn't say WE could build around him, I said I disagree that it's impossible for him to be the best player on a championship team.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#716 » by Jstock12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Old Man Game wrote:This is just embarrassing. Yes, by all means, wait until you've lost 2 straight games in a 7 game series to start issuing your guarantees.

Read on Twitter

Isn't trying to do that actually playing into their hands? Rubio's best quality is his passing and court vision, and if you start trying to lock him down, that will only make it easier for him to set up his teammates. Yeah, you'll lock him down to 8 points, but he'll generate another 30 through his playmaking. They key to dealing with Rubio is making him a jump-shooter, IMO.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#717 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:This is just embarrassing. Yes, by all means, wait until you've lost 2 straight games in a 7 game series to start issuing your guarantees.

Read on Twitter

Isn't trying to do that actually playing into their hands? Rubio's best quality is his passing and court vision, and if you start trying to lock him down, that will only make it easier for him to set up his teammates. Yeah, you'll lock him down to 8 points, but he'll generate another 30 through his playmaking.

I would assume Snyder is already game planning around okc over compensating for rubio’s success.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,349

Post#718 » by hardenASG13 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Knrstz wrote:

Look it's 2-1, things change game to game. There is a chance Russ and George play good in game 4( Russ has to take and make his pull ups, aggressively, all game), and adams can manage to stay on the court.

What’s pathetic is your pick of OKC in 5. So you can critize Presti and call him a complete joke but others cant critize the player you like? Sorry it doesn’t work that way.

Presti is a GM, Westbrook is a player. There is a big difference there. The fact that there is 1 playable big on the roster, and that Losing a 1 way defensive wing has such an impact is an Indictment of Donovan and roster composition, presti. Okc always have stars to bail out their blemishes of rosters, but those stars aren't performing. They need to play better, not be traded. Look at the jazz for example, when's the last time okc found an ingles or Royce o Neil? Have they ever? Seriously, Gerald green was sitting on his couch, while Josh huestis was playing minutes for an all in team. Other teams find usable role players all the time. Okc is and always have been void of them, and never find them. What I like about okc is that the thrive, based on stars, despite their high school systems and poor roster construction. It's addictive/wildly entertaining. Unfortunately the stars haven't played to their ability in the series. They need to do better, and be given something to work with from a strategy perspectice, not be traded at the first sign of weakness.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: WCQF | (4) Oklahoma City Thunder vs Utah Jazz (5) | UTA 2-1 

Post#719 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Well we're talking about prospectively here my man. What's in the past is debatable but it seems clear to me at this point we're pumping a dry well here if we think we can build a contender around him.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,093

Post#720 » by slick_watts » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Well if Russ keeps playing bad every game, they are in big trouble.

well spotted.

hardenASG13 wrote:Those calling for Russ to be traded, after they go down 2-1, with some saying itd be addition by subtraction should really just become warriors fans. Why are you, as a grown man, loyal to a team but willing to turn on that teams heart and soul (and best player) whenever he plays bad?

i don't care about 'heart and soul'. i care about winning. can the team build a championship team with westbrook in the next few years? probably not. simple as that.

hardenASG13 wrote:Blaming their defense on Roberson, while he obviously was a very good player in that end, as pilendreher said, is a huge cop out. It's 1 perimeter defensive player. This is on the coaching

on the coaching? maybe to some extent. but your refusal to fully acknowledge andre roberson's impact as a player is getting sad. you might even call him the 'heart and soul' of the defense, no?

hardenASG13 wrote:Maybe his 100 million can get traded too?

that's the spirit.

hardenASG13 wrote:Look it's 2-1, things change game to game. There is a chance Russ and George play good in game 4( Russ has to take and make his pull ups, aggressively, all game), and adams can manage to stay on the court. Also a chance rubio comes back to earth (if it was a thunder player playing over his head, most on here would chalk it up to variance, and predict regression).

rubio did come to earth in some respects in game 3 but in others he roasted us. this is the difference between rubio and westbrook as playoff performers. it's like a TI-83 calculator versus a sledgehammer. rubio did not shoot well from three but got westbrook on skates via the pnr so often that the thunder had to change defensive assignments. then the jazz were able to get westbrook to bite continuously off the ball whenever he was defending a shooter on the weak side.

rubio won't shoot that well from mid-range again, but does he really have to for the jazz to find a way to score on our defense at this point? the real problem is westbrook 45% ts on 33% usage offensively. watching westbrook behave like a scared puppy late in game 3 doesn't give me too much hope that he turns the series around, but yeah it's possible.

i admit that even if the thunder don't win this series it gives me some sense of satisfaction that andre roberson is finally getting his due.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder