End the Donovan disaster

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

End the Donovan disaster  

Post#1 » by Pillendreher » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:24 am

I don't need to say more. Just get rid of him, already.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: End the Donovan disaster 

Post#2 » by spearsy23 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:36 am

It's just not going to happen, and I honestly don't know if I can take sitting through another season watching what talent we do have be wasted. two years in a row he's minimized a roster, he's not an NBA coach, and none of it is going to mean a damn thing because presti likes him. I don't really care if we blow it up or go back to the (dry) well, but if he isn't gone the off season is a failure. In his entire tenure Scott Brooks managed to get teams to go out and compete every night and always stuck to a plan, even if it wasn't the one a lot of people would've liked. Donovan has them playing the same style offensively without the effort or the scheme on defense.

Presti probably should go too. Since the harden draft he's been an overwhelming negative as a GM.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 am

He should, he won't.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:41 am

Look. Cut dononvan some slack. He didn’t have home court advantage, his best player left in free agency last year, the only guy capable of creating his own offence is a rookie...what else is he supposed to do?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#5 » by Osirus89 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:43 am

If we keep Donovan and other teams change coaches, we will have the worst coach in the league. We can be the best in something at least.

Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#6 » by Atomic Punk » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:03 am

spearsy23 wrote:It's just not going to happen, and I honestly don't know if I can take sitting through another season watching what talent we do have be wasted. two years in a row he's minimized a roster, he's not an NBA coach, and none of it is going to mean a damn thing because presti likes him. I don't really care if we blow it up or go back to the (dry) well, but if he isn't gone the off season is a failure. In his entire tenure Scott Brooks managed to get teams to go out and compete every night and always stuck to a plan, even if it wasn't the one a lot of people would've liked. Donovan has them playing the same style offensively without the effort or the scheme on defense.

Presti probably should go too. Since the harden draft he's been an overwhelming negative as a GM.

That is a patently false statement. He has made moves that in the moment looked great, but ultimately did not pan out.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#7 » by slick_watts » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:17 am

presti has to go first.
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#8 » by Atomic Punk » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:21 am

slick_watts wrote:presti has to go first.

He is fair game to get let go just like anyone else. I just don’t think he has been overwhelming negative as a GM.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#9 » by M2J » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:37 am

You mean OKC would keep him?

There even being a chance is shocking
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#10 » by spearsy23 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:41 am

Atomic Punk wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:It's just not going to happen, and I honestly don't know if I can take sitting through another season watching what talent we do have be wasted. two years in a row he's minimized a roster, he's not an NBA coach, and none of it is going to mean a damn thing because presti likes him. I don't really care if we blow it up or go back to the (dry) well, but if he isn't gone the off season is a failure. In his entire tenure Scott Brooks managed to get teams to go out and compete every night and always stuck to a plan, even if it wasn't the one a lot of people would've liked. Donovan has them playing the same style offensively without the effort or the scheme on defense.

That is a patently false statement. He has made moves that in the moment looked great, but ultimately did not pan out.

Moves that don't pan out are called bad, no matter what they look like on paper. And the harden trade alone cancels out every good thing he's done since.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#11 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:17 am

Jazz fan coming in peace. Well fought series. Weird bad reffing on both sides at times. Loved seeing the intensity and toughness in the playoffs again. The series reminded me of a 90’s series which I personally love.

Now regarding the thread. I don’t watch a lot of OKC games so this was my first time watching multiple games in a row. I have to really agree with getting rid of Billy. If you guys had our coaching staff, and the players were willing to buy in and listen, you guys would have won. There were adjustment that could have been made that would have won you guys the series. There is so much individual talent on OKC that it’s a shame they aren’t coached better. Adams and Abrines were vastly underutilized in the series and Melo was used too much. Anyways, not trying to rub anything in. Just saying you guys have the talent. Just needs to be utilized.

Hopefully we can put our differences aside when we’re not playing each other and root for other small market teams.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 am

Daddy 801 wrote:Jazz fan coming in peace. Well fought series. Weird bad reffing on both sides at times. Loved seeing the intensity and toughness in the playoffs again. The series reminded me of a 90’s series which I personally love.

Now regarding the thread. I don’t watch a lot of OKC games so this was my first time watching multiple games in a row. I have to really agree with getting rid of Billy. If you guys had our coaching staff, and the players were willing to buy in and listen, you guys would have won. There were adjustment that could have been made that would have won you guys the series. There is so much individual talent on OKC that it’s a shame they aren’t coached better. Adams and Abrines were vastly underutilized in the series and Melo was used too much. Anyways, not trying to rub anything in. Just saying you guys have the talent. Just needs to be utilized.

Hopefully we can put our differences aside when we’re not playing each other and root for other small market teams.

I've said it before but this team made me stop following a team and be a fan of just whoever I like. I still like OKC but a lot of other teams too, in part because this team was painful to watch largely to Donovan's credit. I like Utah a ton and want you to beat Houston terribly. Hope Rubio's good to go, and if so I think you have a shot. Great series, Mitchell is a stud.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#13 » by Thundershock88 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:54 am

I'd rather watch Westbrook throw himself through a brick wall with a bunch of G Leaguers, like last year, than watch another disappointing season like this. The only way this team takes a step forward, is with better coaching and a willingness to adapt from Westbrook.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#14 » by Pillendreher » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 am

M2J wrote:You mean OKC would keep him?

There even being a chance is shocking

Of course there is. This is Sam Presti's show, after all.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#15 » by CROklahoma » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:16 am

Get Budenholzer here.

If by some miracle we're here next season with Russ, PG, Adams, Grant, Abrines and rest, without Melo, I'm thinking he could really turn this group into something.

No more of that bull college, motivational, spiritual talks. Give me real strategic, planned coaching, throughout whole season.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#16 » by Pillendreher » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:26 am

I'd like to leave this here:

I don't even want to know how many wins we wasted because of this. This complete and utter moron literally robbes us of minutes for what was working exceptionally well just so that he could build the whole rotation around Anthony.

Just fire him. He's done enough damage to this franchise already.
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#17 » by alessandrux » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:05 pm

If Donovan is going to be replaced who do you want as the new coach and who do you think we could (realistically) get?

On the general board Frank Vogel was mentioned and I can't really explain why but I do not want him. Probably because I would expect that with Vogel offensively nothing really changes (no plays for our shooters), our superstar(s) would get still pampered and I do not really expect better rotations with him. But there are still way worse coaches unemployed right now (please no Jason Kidd or Mark Jackson, I'm fine with everyone else, but please not one of those two).

Budenholzer would be great, but I don't think we would have a real chance to get him.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,540

Post#18 » by Bergmaniac » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Vogel is really bad, seems like McMillan and his other assistants carried him in Indiana since without them he was a disaster at Orlando.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,815

Post#19 » by QPR » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Budenholzer will have a job before Billy has even done his exit interview.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,113

Post#20 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:21 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Jazz fan coming in peace. Well fought series. Weird bad reffing on both sides at times. Loved seeing the intensity and toughness in the playoffs again. The series reminded me of a 90’s series which I personally love.

I've said it before but this team made me stop following a team and be a fan of just whoever I like. I still like OKC but a lot of other teams too, in part because this team was painful to watch largely to Donovan's credit. I like Utah a ton and want you to beat Houston terribly. Hope Rubio's good to go, and if so I think you have a shot. Great series, Mitchell is a stud.

I would put Melo on the same level as Billy on this matter. This team was GREAT to watch last season and we were trash. Sure Russ deserved all credit and not Billy but still As much as I want to get rid of Billy Donovan he's isn't more than 50% guilty on why our team played this ugly basketball style.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder