End the Donovan disaster

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: End the Donovan disaster 

Post#61 » by Pillendreher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:16 am

78 to go.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#62 » by Pillendreher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 pm

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#63 » by SecondTake » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 pm

When we were winning I was starting to like Donovan. Turns out he didn't do jack except ride some PG coattails. I suggest we fire him now so that the team still has a couple of months to adjust before the playoffs.
Anderson Silva
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#64 » by Anderson Silva » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 am

I've finally turned the corner into the Fire Donovan camp.
someone on here said this was a Donovan quote. I cannot locate it, so it might be fake, but if its true, my mind is blown and angry

"We start game planning during half time. I could game plan before, you know, uh, coaches do, but smart teams change things up. I feel, you know, it'd confuse our guys if we got a gameplan and then change it at half time. So we do it at the half. We go out every night, with the goal of, uh, not digging ourselves in to, uh, a hole. Keeping close. We go in to the second ready to comeback."
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#65 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 am

I can't imagine that being a real quote. We all know Russ and PG coach the team and they do what they want. I don't think Donovan could figure out a game plan at halftime if it lasted 24 hours so I can't even imagine him coming up with one in 15 minutes.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#66 » by Pillendreher » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 am

Anderson Silva wrote:I've finally turned the corner into the Fire Donovan camp.
someone on here said this was a Donovan quote. I cannot locate it, so it might be fake, but if its true, my mind is blown and angry

"We start game planning during half time. I could game plan before, you know, uh, coaches do, but smart teams change things up. I feel, you know, it'd confuse our guys if we got a gameplan and then change it at half time. So we do it at the half. We go out every night, with the goal of, uh, not digging ourselves in to, uh, a hole. Keeping close. We go in to the second ready to comeback."

I haven't found that anywhere. I'm sure it's fake.
Anderson Silva
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#67 » by Anderson Silva » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Anderson Silva wrote:I've finally turned the corner into the Fire Donovan camp.

I haven't found that anywhere. I'm sure it's fake.

It believable if you notice our first quarters
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#68 » by Pillendreher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Our struggles from the FT line are also something that points towards a lack of coaching and practicing. We're 3rd last league wide at 71.2%. Out of the regular rotation players, George (83.5 %; in his two seasons prior to joining the Thunder, he made 87.6 % of his foul shots) and Schröder (80.8 %; in his two seasons prior to joining the Thunder, he made 85.2 % of his foul shots) are the only guys hitting 80 % this season. That makes us one of just 9 teams that don't have at least 3 of those guys (ATL, DAL, DET, MIA, NOP, NYK, OKC, PHO, UTA) in their rotation. Then you get Nader at 77.1 % and the very next guy just makes 71.4 % in Morris. Out of our 5 starters, George is the only one who manages to hit league average from the FT line. Grant barely cracks 70 %, Ferguson is just making 68.4 % of his FTs, Westbrook is just embarassing at this point at 65.2 % and Adams is the 3rd worst in the league among points per game leaderboard guys at just 51.7 % (!!!) (he's shooting 31.3 % from the FT line in March, the equivalent of shooting 10 % from 3).

How do they expect to perform well offensively if they can't make 3s and can't make FTs? They're 25th in 3P% and 28th FT%. And at some point this isn't just random anymore. Either they're not practicing making FTs or whatever they're doing is not good enough. Since the beginning of the 16/17 season, the Thunder are 28th in FT% and 28th in 3P%. I know that is on the roster as well, but at some point one can demand a guy making 6 million a season to actually help his players improve. That means that he puts them in positions where they can knock down shots, works with them on their shots and also works with them on their FTs. I'm not seeing any of that. Ferguson and Grant have shown some shooting touch, but at the same time Westbrook has imploded in that regard. For every little step forward, this team takes a massive step backward.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,399

Post#69 » by RunOKC » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:10 pm

I really don't get how this didn't happen last offseason
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#70 » by SecondTake » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Our struggles from the FT line are also something that points towards a lack of coaching and practicing. We're 3rd last league wide at 71.2%. Out of the regular rotation players, George (83.5 %; in his two seasons prior to joining the Thunder, he made 87.6 % of his foul shots) and Schröder (80.8 %; in his two seasons prior to joining the Thunder, he made 85.2 % of his foul shots) are the only guys hitting 80 % this season. That makes us one of just 9 teams that don't have at least 3 of those guys (ATL, DAL, DET, MIA, NOP, NYK, OKC, PHO, UTA) in their rotation. Then you get Nader at 77.1 % and the very next guy just makes 71.4 % in Morris. Out of our 5 starters, George is the only one who manages to hit league average from the FT line. Grant barely cracks 70 %, Ferguson is just making 68.4 % of his FTs, Westbrook is just embarassing at this point at 65.2 % and Adams is the 3rd worst in the league among points per game leaderboard guys at just 51.7 % (!!!) (he's shooting 31.3 % from the FT line in March, the equivalent of shooting 10 % from 3).

How do they expect to perform well offensively if they can't make 3s and can't make FTs? They're 25th in 3P% and 28th FT%. And at some point this isn't just random anymore. Either they're not practicing making FTs or whatever they're doing is not good enough. Since the beginning of the 16/17 season, the Thunder are 28th in FT% and 28th in 3P%. I know that is on the roster as well, but at some point one can demand a guy making 6 million a season to actually help his players improve. That means that he puts them in positions where they can knock down shots, works with them on their shots and also works with them on their FTs. I'm not seeing any of that. Ferguson and Grant have shown some shooting touch, but at the same time Westbrook has imploded in that regard. For every little step forward, this team takes a massive step backward.

If you consider the 3 point shooting of this team as well over the years, it may point to something intrinsic about the team, city or state that suppresses the shooting ability of players. We'll have to see if Morris drops below 71%. There's a lot of fracking going on in OK.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#71 » by Pillendreher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:36 pm

RunOKC wrote:I really don't get how this didn't happen last offseason

Because they still had excuses to fall back on, didn't they.

"Andre Roberson was injured"
"Carmelo Anthony"

There is always something. Well, except for this season. But hell, they already picked up his last season even though there was absolutely no need to do that whatsoever and so here we are again, just like with Perkis, prematurely agreeing to pay somebody even though we don't even know if he will be worth it.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#72 » by Pillendreher » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am

CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#73 » by CROklahoma » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:48 am

Just shows the complete lack of discussion fans and community have, few games before the playoffs.

We have 2 allstars-superstars, along with a great center, with few good pieces around them, and no one is showing any kind of interest.

Either its a major coaching roster overhaul, or its a tank-a-ton, cause I surely aint watching this team next season the way I followed it past decade, I'm done, the same fashion community is done with it aswell.
Sold out arenas wont do **** if merchendise and tv market crumbles, and the tax continues to pile up.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#74 » by timO » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:12 pm

Another first round elimination await on us, and another year of billy vanilly.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#75 » by Pillendreher » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:09 am

He's just begging to get canned.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,820

Post#76 » by QPR » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:33 am

Not a bad gig though. Will get canned having made about $20m for his troubles, and then will have his pick of available college jobs.

Imagine if Durant and Westbrook hadn't thrown away those WCFs though.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by RunOKC » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:32 pm

He gone

I don't think I can stomach another year of Billy ball + Russ declining at the same time
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,055

Post#78 » by slick_watts » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:41 pm

RunOKC wrote:He gone

I don't think I can stomach another year of Billy ball + Russ declining at the same time

will mo cheeks be any better?
RunOKC
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by RunOKC » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 pm

slick_watts wrote:

You think they are going to promote from within?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,055

Post#80 » by slick_watts » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm

RunOKC wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

You think they are going to promote from within?

meh. i don't think sam would stray far from his coaching archetype. then again, he's traded for carmelo and schroder in consecutive years and picked up markieff morris so who knows. cheeks would be an easy choice.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder