2018 Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread 

Post#1121 » by bondom34 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Ok. Like I said, just letting people know what they're up against. One comment, on that day, says a lot.

You showing up and playing this self serving, fake intelligencia character is pretty cowardly itself. You come, you troll, you leave. It's predictable.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#1122 » by slick_watts » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 pm

spearsy23 wrote:The NBA needs a franchise tag, and I've always hated the NFL's.

a franchise tag in the nba would be a lot more powerful.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1123 » by slick_watts » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:45 pm

bondom34 wrote:Ok. Like I said, just letting people know what they're up against. One comment, on that day, says a lot.

You showing up and playing this self serving, fake intelligencia character is pretty cowardly itself. You come, you troll, you leave. It's predictable.

july 4, 2016 was a bad day to be a thunder fan but it was a fun day too in some respects. that post was part of the fun. i'm sorry you cannot have fun.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1124 » by bondom34 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Ok capn whatever you say. I'll just let you troll away. At least people know now.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1125 » by slick_watts » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 pm

bondom34 wrote:Ok capn whatever you say. I'll just let you troll away. At least people know now.

see, you say that, but i'm sure the next opinion i share you don't agree with you'll drop another one of these nuggets.

i put myself out there plenty in the thunder web-community. everyone knows who i am. they don't need your help!
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#1126 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:56 pm

If you guys want to have this argument, please take it to PM. You're derailing the thread. Dom, everyone knows where you stand re: Justin—we don't need it rehashed every time he opens his mouth.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1127 » by bondom34 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:If you guys want to have this argument, please take it to PM. You're derailing the thread. Dom, everyone knows where you stand re: Justin—we don't need it rehashed every time he opens his mouth.

I'll drop it there. Like I said, just wanted people to know who they're arguing with.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#1128 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm

slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:The NBA needs a franchise tag, and I've always hated the NFL's.

a franchise tag in the nba would be a lot more powerful.

I agree, and I hate that I'm for it. It would need some reworking i.e. it's max + 5 million and an ETO at Max + 5 to safeguard against injury.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#1129 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 pm

I mean if it's like the NFL franchise tag, it would lock up players through their 20s with one team. OK so you do that to protect one player for each small-market team.

Then what?

One player isn't enough and keeping a player against his will isn't necessarily going to help that team attract free agents, because one all-star or even MVP-level player isn't going to carry a team deep in the playoffs.

Should AD be forced to sign another 5-year deal with NO when his current deal runs out? Should Giannis be forced to stay in Milwaukee into his 30s?

Or are we talking about forcing them to play for 1 or 2 more years with their current teams, after they clearly expressed a desire to leave?

Maybe those teams could win titles in those extra 1 or 2 seasons and change their minds to sign long term, stay with the franchise the rest of their careers. But if they don't win, then it just builds resentment, not just from player to the team but from the fans to the player during those lame-duck seasons.

Anyways, NBA players union will never go for it.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1130 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:49 pm

The players would hate this but I've thought of a sort of negative franchise tag, where once a player had made X amount of all star games he'd get hit with it. Then roster constraints that would only allow for your roster to have X number of such players (maybe 2), maybe with a grace period of a few years to exceed that number if you drafted those guys. But under no circumstances could you sign in excess of that number.

There's probably implications to this I haven't considered but I think it could be an interesting starting point towards more league parity. Its the only way I've come up with to stop players from just taking discounts to make or perpetuate these super teams.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1131 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

wco81 wrote:I mean if it's like the NFL franchise tag, it would lock up players through their 20s with one team. OK so you do that to protect one player for each small-market team.

Then what?

One player isn't enough and keeping a player against his will isn't necessarily going to help that team attract free agents, because one all-star or even MVP-level player isn't going to carry a team deep in the playoffs.

Should AD be forced to sign another 5-year deal with NO when his current deal runs out? Should Giannis be forced to stay in Milwaukee into his 30s?

Or are we talking about forcing them to play for 1 or 2 more years with their current teams, after they clearly expressed a desire to leave?

Maybe those teams could win titles in those extra 1 or 2 seasons and change their minds to sign long term, stay with the franchise the rest of their careers. But if they don't win, then it just builds resentment, not just from player to the team but from the fans to the player during those lame-duck seasons.

Anyways, NBA players union will never go for it.

You aren't going to see super teams to this level if Durant or LeBron are being franchised. One Superstar may not be enough, but it would make a more competitive league and reward the teams that draft well.

As for player ill will, it's not ideal but an extra 5 million is a solid sweetener.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1132 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Yeah but these guys are going to get shoe deals worth a lot more than $5 million.

In fact I suspect Nike is still giving incentives for players to go to certain markets and may have done so in KD's case -- the conspiracy theory is that they didn't want Curry's Under Armor to get all the publicity and attention if the Warriors won multiple titles.

If a team gets two franchise tags, free agency won't have as many big players, which would probably give the owners a lot more clout.

BTW, on this issue of whether super teams are good for the league, I am currently in Bali, Indonesia and just stood in line behind a local kid wearing a KD Warriors jersey. A couple of years ago, I saw a Draymond Green jersey in Italy, though I suspect the guy was an American in that case.

If you only read Real GM, you'd think there was universal hatred of KD but his jersey is selling and he still has one of the biggest shoe deals around.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1133 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah but these guys are going to get shoe deals worth a lot more than $5 million.

In fact I suspect Nike is still giving incentives for players to go to certain markets and may have done so in KD's case -- the conspiracy theory is that they didn't want Curry's Under Armor to get all the publicity and attention if the Warriors won multiple titles.

If a team gets two franchise tags, free agency won't have as many big players, which would probably give the owners a lot more clout.

BTW, on this issue of whether super teams are good for the league, I am currently in Bali, Indonesia and just stood in line behind a local kid wearing a KD Warriors jersey. A couple of years ago, I saw a Draymond Green jersey in Italy, though I suspect the guy was an American in that case.

If you only read Real GM, you'd think there was universal hatred of KD but his jersey is selling and he still has one of the biggest shoe deals around.

There were lots of anecdotes about people with KD jerseys around the world when he was with the Thunder too. The NBA is a global league at this point.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1134 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Yes I don't doubt that he was huge around the world when he was at OKC. That is how he got such a huge shoe contract.

My point is, of the millions around the world who follow the NBA, most of them don't look at what KD did the same way RealGM posters look at him.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1135 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm

wco81 wrote:Yes I don't doubt that he was huge around the world when he was at OKC. That is how he got such a huge shoe contract.

My point is, of the millions around the world who follow the NBA, most of them don't look at what KD did the same way RealGM posters look at him.

Millions on Twitter and Reddit, and ex players, also do. Current players seem to as well.

I think in the Bay area many don't, but for a different reason
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1136 » by slick_watts » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

it's not only the shoe companies themselves who are influential, it's agents. the collective bargaining agreement restricts the percentage an agent can take from player contracts but there is no such formal limitation on endorsement deals.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,114

Post#1137 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
wco81 wrote:Yeah but these guys are going to get shoe deals worth a lot more than $5 million.

There were lots of anecdotes about people with KD jerseys around the world when he was with the Thunder too. The NBA is a global league at this point.

Pretty much this. I live in a small island in Brazil and I see many Westbrook's, Lillard, Embiid jerseys.

Don't get how a super team is helping the NBA. Great Rivarliers yes though.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1138 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:57 pm

wco81 wrote:Yes I don't doubt that he was huge around the world when he was at OKC. That is how he got such a huge shoe contract.

Thats ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. He's still a soft cupcake that had the capability to be one of the best ever and decided to hitch his waggon to a team that had already done it and he build this sweet plexiglass ceiling. He is going to have a very difficult time breaking through that glass.

Hes soooooooooooooooooooooooooo soft.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1139 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 pm

What is everyone interested in seeing tonight?

I am really shocked on the amount of big men that are in discussion in the top 5. I feel like in this league these days you need 3-4 wings and 1 center. What are all of these bad teams going after a center when you can get them for a dime a doz.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1140 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:35 pm

bondom34 wrote:

Millions on Twitter and Reddit, and ex players, also do. Current players seem to as well.

I think in the Bay area many don't, but for a different reason

In the end none of that matters, the question is rather the owners of the have nots are happy with the status quo. If I'm Milwaukee I want assurance I can keep giannis, Nola same with Davis, Minny KAT, OKC has already been burned, San Antonio has a little different situation but still it would be nice to keep Kawhi. The league is in a good place money wise though, so it depends on what these owners want.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder